No sewing please, we're sex workers: Thai prostitutes battle stigma

rooster59

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

They are often supporting brothers and sisters as well.  It seems that the oldest sister is often the one who is sent to the city and expected to make money any way she can.

I should have added that this usually happens when the girl is in her teens, often her early teens.  A lot can go wrong when a naive girl is forced to take on adult responsibilities.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I should have added that this usually happens when the girl is in her teens, often her early teens.  A lot can go wrong when a naive girl is forced to take on adult responsibilities.

Stop teasing all the late night, cant sleep TV posters

21 hours ago, ezzra said:

Strange rehabilitation methods to allow the bar girls to own and operate a bar, so with this wisdom, will you advise a drug addicts to cultivate or produce their own cannabis and meth? of get alcoholics to set up a distillery as long as the keep good hours and the profits? strange indeed...

You got lost

18 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

They can earn between 650 baht and 3.250 baht a day? in the last century not this one, unless they are talking about diseased oldies hanging around lumpini Park. I knew girls that were earning 80k a month in 2001.

Are you saying that they can earn more, or less than last century?

80k is approx 2600 per day if a girl works every day of the month, I'm sure there are

some who earn considerably more than that.

On 5/19/2019 at 12:29 AM, rooster59 said:

“People say we should stop doing what we do, and sew or bake cookies instead - but why are only those jobs considered appropriate?” said Mai Chanta

.................:crazy:

22 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

They can earn between 650 baht and 3.250 baht a day? in the last century not this one, unless they are talking about diseased oldies hanging around lumpini Park. I knew girls that were earning 80k a month in 2001.

Plenty today not earning 3k a day.

22 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

That may have been the case in 2001 , that was when all felangs were rich .

Even 10 years later they have been earning that , but these days not so much .

In-fact , all the working girls that I knew , stopped working in bars , because they would spend most nights sitting in a bar , just hoping to get a few drinks and a few customers a month .

22 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:
22 hours ago, baansgr said:

No, they are the same...easy money rather than working hard...same the world over. Morals, self respect....mind you, here is different as the family are okay about it as they get their new pick up and gold to look good....how many hookers in the west tell their family

Another puritanical hypocrite. You start your piece by saying "No, they are the same"  then end it with the question "how many hookers in the west tell their family"  !!!  Well if they were the same then your question would be answered. 

there are 2 components/concepts either stated and/or inferred, to his post, #similarities and #differences

similarities would include easy money, not working hard.  differences would include how not infrequently their families accept it pretty much as mainstream.

i will never forget a few years ago in a gogo bar how the mamasan was trying to sell a girl to me (barfine) and proudly introduced me to her daughter, wearing a number. floored me how no quams about selling her own daughter

Legalization? Look at drugs. Many places are decriminalizing marijuana but not harder drugs. What if the sex industry were decriminalized in stages? I can see where there are worries about STDs and pregnancies. But what real harm is done by a happy ending? Start there and see what can be done to mitigate problems in other areas. 

22 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Why is it a stigma?  Shouldn't consenting knowledgeable adults should be able to whatever they want in private?

Normally males and  females get together and have a relationship and sometimes reproduce and often all live together as a family unit  .

Males paying females for sex on a nightly/hourly basis has a stigma involved .

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Normally males and  females get together and have a relationship and sometimes reproduce and often all live together as a family unit  .

Males paying females for sex on a nightly/hourly basis has a stigma involved .

It does not for me.  To me it is not much different than getting a foot massage or some other personal service

On 5/20/2019 at 5:30 PM, atyclb said:

i will never forget a few years ago in a gogo bar how the mamasan was trying to sell a girl to me (barfine) and proudly introduced me to her daughter, wearing a number. floored me how no quams about selling her own daughter

How is sinsot different?

27 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How is sinsot different?

Tired subject but since you asked... 

1. sin sot is a gift given to parents for raising a young lady that you feel is special enough to marry - 

2. sin sot is part of a marriage ceremony in a culture that you don't entirely relate to... 

When you pay sin sod, you are showing respect for your future family and culture. 

As I think you do know, it is a custom amongst Thai and Thai not a penalty for farang. 

It is not something that is balanced off against how many nights with a bargirl you can negotiate. 

No need to respond, I am sure it is easier and less costly for you not to get it... I often wonder how many farang would find this Thai custom so offensive if they were the beneficiary. 

5 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

No need to respond, I am sure it is easier and less costly for you not to get it... I often wonder how many farang would find this Thai custom so offensive if they were the beneficiary. 

I've got one for sale right now, 20yo virgin at University, fluent in English and Thai.

5Mbht (can be used to buy property in her name) plus a pickup for me.

Still makes me a pimp though.

28 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Still makes me a pimp though.

if your only standard for marriage is sex, then your values add up for you... most of us who marry [hopefully] get much more from our wives. There is companionship and sharing a life and family. 

it is always good consumerism to measure what you can get for your money in measures of marginal utility. How many mangoes and meatloaf could you buy with that sin sod money..... many of us can afford sin sod and not have it effect our purchasing too much. 

It shows respect for your soon to be wife, her family, her culture... a gift I was glad to give and not something I measured against how many sexual favors I could purchase with strangers, lovely as they might be... 

Just now, kenk24 said:

if your only standard for marriage is sex, then your values add up for you... most of us who marry [hopefully] get much more from our wives. There is companionship and sharing a life and family. 

Many ThaiVISA posters seem to get little or no sex in their marriage.

My dog is a better companion than any woman I've ever met.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Of course, absolutely. Dogs are known for being great companions. Me too. Love my dog. 

Companionship amongst humans is a 2 way street... it often involves cooperative work between the two of you and problem solving, be it raising a kid together or dealing with health issues of family members... 

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Many ThaiVISA posters

Boy, I could do a lot with that but not worth the time. I have seen people complain that Thai people smile. 

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:
On 5/20/2019 at 5:30 PM, atyclb said:

How is sinsot different?

personally i dont believe in "sinsot" but theoretically the sinsot money is just used to show people at the wedding then it is returned to the newly married couple to use together and in addition assuming the bride is educated(tight lipped about the quality of thai education) and accomplished it is different from paying a garden variety gogo hooker cash.    

but i do understand your point 

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Many ThaiVISA posters seem to get little or no sex in their marriage.

Well we are absolutely not interested in what you are doing with your dog.  In ten years my wife has never said "not tonight". At nearly 67, with prostate issues I am now the weak link, I barely manage every other day.

Archived