Thailand on Red Alert in Bid to Stop ‘Pig Ebola’ Crossing Border

rooster59

Thailand on Red Alert in Bid to Stop ‘Pig Ebola’ Crossing Border

By Randy Thanthong-Knight  and Anuchit Nguyen

800x-1.png

African swine fever reported in Hong Kong and more Vietnamese regions in MayDominic Carey

Thailand, one of Asia’s top pork producers, is intensifying efforts to hold off a lethal pig virus that’s causing havoc as it spreads across the region.

African swine fever -- a disease that kills nearly all the pigs it infects -- has been spreading through Asia from China and Mongolia to Vietnam and Cambodia. Millions of pigs have been culled, creating a global protein shortage and saddling farmers and food businesses with billions of dollars in costs.

“We’re on red alert for the pig virus,” Anan Suwannarat, the permanent secretary in Thailand’s Agriculture Ministry, said in an interview. “We’re trying everything to prevent it from spreading to Thailand.”

Full story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-17/thailand-on-red-alert-in-bid-to-stop-pig-ebola-crossing-border?srnd=markets-vp

Bloomberg: 2019-05-19

1 hour ago, Nowisee said:

Expect an increase in usage of dog meat across Asia.

I'm all for that.  I can nominate a couple of hundred on my estate running wild; causing accidents; spreading diseases.

In any case I thought a Thai University had perfected a cure for Ebola and lung cancer? (This latter for Chiang Mai residents.)

4 hours ago, mok199 said:

I doubt Thai authorities will give us the facts , real time !!!  rather blame blame blame..

They probably wouldn't know if pigs die in isolated cases as it has no effect on humans apparently.

"African swine fever virus is a contagious viral disease impacting only pigs, notpeople, so it is not a public health threat or food safety concern."

2 hours ago, zydeco said:

Looking at that map, I don't see how it is not here already. Probably just hasn't been diagnosed and reported yet.

Possibly not but did you bother to read the llnked article?

They have detected the virus in a number of cases where importation of meat was stopped at a border.

6 hours ago, zydeco said:

Looking at that map, I don't see how it is not here already. Probably just hasn't been diagnosed and reported yet.

Probably in your food right now, soaking in the wonderous broth, flavouring the noodles, and being BBQ'd

2 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Probably in your food right now, soaking in the wonderous broth, flavouring the noodles, and being BBQ'd

Ah, the cheap & tasty food so many love about Thailand ????

16 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Doesn't affect humans so just adds some flavor. What are they going to do with all the carcasses? Seems like a waste to throw them away.

https://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/topics/topic/african-swine-fever

Hopefully they won't learn from the Chinese:

https://www.kinderworld.org/videos/meat-industry/pigs-burned-alive-china

7 hours ago, zydeco said:

Early deaths of pigs in small numbers will be quickly cut up & sold off locally, not going through the usual channels... only when the first signs of large deaths will they come clean or should I say clean-ish.

If it can happen it will happen. It's already spreading in europe.

The virus can live in the soil for a long time so if they bury the infected and dead pig on the farm other pigs will 'nose' it and pick up the virus. Or, if one pig dies and the farmer, to save money feeds it to his other pigs  and a couple of days later sells some to another farmer etc etc

Less than a week from infection to death but luckily

( so far ) it doesn't transmit to humans or any other animals. Ticks can also spread it and nature has a way to change things at very short notice.

It will get here and all the best intended efforts won't stop it.

Soon coming, the 1000 baht pork chop.

Archived