Australia's conservative government on course for "miracle" election victory

rooster59

In relation to One Nation & Palmer's UAP: Without their preferences the Libs would not have won.

There is a lesson in this: When you have a closely-fought battle with preferential voting, the only way you're going to win is if you have 1 or 2 client or sympathetic minor parties who can attract locals on primary vote & then pass on their preferences to 'their' major party. This was the function of ONP & UAP this time round for the Coalition, as the Greens were for the ALP, and as the DLP was for the Libs from 1956 to 1983.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Possibly...

But then I saw the amazing upswing in prosperity in rural life where I live...and the fact that demographics are changing.My new found friends in Bowraville were telling me just how many ex-Sydneysiders were buying small properties in the countryside and bringing money into the town

I voted Labor,by the way but I must concede that the local National member has been exceedingly active and competent.My rural town is a hub of both the physically and intellectually disabled people under the NDIS scheme (started by Labor and progressed by the Coalition)

DSCN0468 (2).JPG

DSCN0533 (2).JPG

Yes, I know the area, use to visit when I lived in Sydney and had friends living nearby. I do think you're getting a somewhat skewed POV as the area is reasonably better off rural location than most. 

BTW lovely part of Oz, sounds like you're enjoying...

18 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Yes, I know the area, use to visit when I lived in Sydney and had friends living nearby. I do think you're getting a somewhat skewed POV as the area is reasonably better off rural location than most. 

BTW lovely part of Oz, sounds like you're enjoying...

Simple 1-I always enjoy your well considered posts on many subjects..

But in this case I disagree.Australia's major employment problem up where I live is chiefly amongst the 3rd generation Anglo-Celtic social security frauds who will not work.

Hence the need to bring in Asian people to work in the agri-businesses..

Every time I meet them I inquire "Where's your Gallipoli spirit you lazy,benefits collecting,non motivated,useless layabouts?"

Same as in the USA.

6 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

I did state facts, directorships (still get your pension), ambassadors get a further pension entitlement after retiring from that post ( another pension top up to original), and payment from private enterprise exempt

53 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

In relation to One Nation & Palmer's UAP: Without their preferences the Libs would not have won.

There is a lesson in this: When you have a closely-fought battle with preferential voting, the only way you're going to win is if you have 1 or 2 client or sympathetic minor parties who can attract locals on primary vote & then pass on their preferences to 'their' major party. This was the function of ONP & UAP this time round for the Coalition, as the Greens were for the ALP, and as the DLP was for the Libs from 1956 to 1983.

Palmers UAP although not getting a seat, got the LNP through especially in Qld, due to massive flooding advertising around climate change and coalmining.

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

NDIS - another Labor policy disaster along with the NBN saddling future generations with massive debt. Thanks Gillard. Thanks Rudd.

I think you will find that massive overruns on NBN are because of changes made by Turnbull when he was Communications Minister, and using the old Telstra wiring in many places which will need replacing very soon, in some areas they need to go back in almost immediately to do the fibre cabling due to break downs in the old wiring 

4 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

And you get ScoMo.

In a week in which I was reminiscing about the days of Bob Hawke, Morrison seems like a cardboard cut-out of a leader.

Progress....none.

Rooster

Better than Pra-Mo is it not?

Ergot?

Mushrooms?

2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

But then I saw the amazing upswing in prosperity in rural life where I live...and the fact that demographics are changing.My new found friends in Bowraville were telling me just how many ex-Sydneysiders were buying small properties in the countryside and bringing money into the town

I had to re-read your post as I assumed you said Bellingen where that has been going on for 40 years. But Bowraville! You have to be kidding to move there, although it has been many years since I have been in the town. Only ever went there when desperate to win a horse race. Passing through Mackville nothing seems to have changed much.

11 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

I had to re-read your post as I assumed you said Bellingen where that has been going on for 40 years. But Bowraville! You have to be kidding to move there, although it has been many years since I have been in the town. Only ever went there when desperate to win a horse race. Passing through Mackville nothing seems to have changed much.

I haven't moved there.

Let's face facts wombat-you are a troll.

And,even worse,you can't even comprehend disabled people..and what services they might expect.

Back in the corner for you and please put your hat on..

Pretty country up there tho'..

DSCN0546 (3).JPG

7 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I haven't moved there.

Let;s face facts  wombat-you are a troll.

And,even worse,you can't even comprehend disabled people..and what services they might expect.

Back in the corner for you..put your hat on..

You have misunderstood what I was saying. I know that area well and was surprised that Bowraville had changed that much.

12 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

You have misunderstood what I was saying. I know that area well and was surprised that Bowraville had changed that much.

Hmmm..

Neat as two pins..

Amazing really.

Try having a little pride in your country..after all if you cannot do so why should your country give a **** about you,eh?

I certainly don't.

DSCN0562.JPG

DSCN0556.JPG

DSCN0493.JPG

5 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Hmmm..

Neat as two pins..

Amazing really.

Try having a little pride in your country..

DSCN0562.JPG

DSCN0556.JPG

Off topic here but:

Wow! Look at the security on the door and those windows. Brings back memories of years ago.

5 minutes ago, newatthis said:

Off topic here but:

Wow! Look at the security on the door and those windows. Brings back memories of years ago.

Sure..stumble..amble..trip..collapse..

I have exactly the same security om my house in Thailand and more.

Must be something in the water over there..the lead pipes,perhaps?

Or perhaps the view thru' the gasmasks..

Or the atrocious beer.Who knows..the delusions are a conundrum...

8 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Hmmm..

Mate, I lived and worked that part of the North Coast for 30 years and still visit every year. Back in the 70's the only claim to fame for Bowraville was that Slim Dusty's "Pub with no beer" was said to be reference to a town about 20km on a back road out of Bowraville.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

2 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Mate, I lived and worked that part of the North Coast for 30 years and still visit every year. Back in the 70's the only claim to fame for Bowraville was that Slim Dusty's "Pub with no beer" was said to be reference to a town about 20km on a back road out of Bowraville.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

'Tis Taylors Arm where the family farm was-and after 80 years still is (3rd cousin)

I am disabled and cannot walk-therefore I am mighty proud to have revisited the area of my forebears who farmed this land..

As I said before-and do not take this personally-

IF YOU CANNOT GIVE A **** FOR YOUR COUNTRY-WHY SHOULD YOUR COUNTRY GIVE A **** FOR YOU?

Just now, Odysseus123 said:

'Tis Taylors Arm where the family farm was-and after 80 years still is (3rd cousin)

I am disabled and cannot walk-therefore I am mighty proud to have revisited the area of my forebears who farmed this land..

Mate, that is great that you can still revisit. I had friends buy a 1000 acre property to the north of Bowraville and it was beautiful to visit back then. These days I don't have time with short term trips to Australia. It is still home to me even though I live in rural Thailand.

4 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Nonsense.

As a disabled person I totally disagree and I question your motives..

That is,if you have enough intelligence to actually have any intelligent thoughts on the subject-or indeed,any other subject known to humankind.

Well aren't you a nasty, bitter, little person. 

5 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Possibly...

I voted Labor,by the way but I must concede that the local National member has been exceedingly active and competent.My rural town is a hub of both the physically and intellectually disabled people under the NDIS scheme (started by Labor and progressed by the Coalition)

DSCN0468 (2).JPG

DSCN0533 (2).JPG

Great place to live ...

17 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I did state facts, directorships (still get your pension), ambassadors get a further pension entitlement after retiring from that post ( another pension top up to original), and payment from private enterprise exempt

Your position appears to be (1) parliamentary pensions are too generous or/and (2) the benefits of someone's previous employment should be impacted retrospectively by their current employment.  As I say, the politics of envy

20 minutes ago, CapraIbex said:

"Dividend imputation was introduced in 1987, one of a number of tax reforms by the Hawke–Keating Labor Government"

Educational reading:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_dividend_imputation_system

Yes, I'm well aware of that as I was a tax practitioner at the time. What you fail to mention is that the original design did not provide for cash refunds of excess tax credits. That innovation was introduced by Little Johnnie Howard in 2000 as one of his endless bribes for the geriatric vote during his prime ministership (as the Wikipedia article points out)

15 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Yes, I'm well aware of that as I was a tax practitioner at the time. What you fail to mention is that the original design did not provide for cash refunds of excess tax credits. That innovation was introduced by Little Johnnie Howard in 2000 as one of his endless bribes for the geriatric vote in the latter stages of his prime ministership (as the Wikipedia article points out)

That "innovation" is surely bolstering some pensioner income and most probably had an effect on the recent federal election.
I am too old reacting to the 'tax bludgers' comment as am sure that most old-age pensioners earned their crust through hard, honest work.

4 minutes ago, CapraIbex said:

That "innovation" is surely bolstering some pensioner income and most probably had an effect on the recent federal election.
I am too old reacting to the 'tax bludgers' comment as am sure that most old-age pensioners earned their crust through hard, honest work.

You stick to your illusions

Archived