Australia's conservative government on course for "miracle" election victory

rooster59

22 hours ago, monkeycu said:

Now we can look forward to 4 more years of being screwed but this group of parasites  who care only about themselves, screw the pensioners

At least you get a pension!...….as for parasites, none greater than here! (LOS)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/19/2019 at 5:57 PM, Becker said:

Glad to see you're not prone to hyperbole.

Hyperbole = exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
"he vowed revenge with oaths and hyperboles"
synonyms: exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, amplification, embroidery, embellishment, overplaying, excess, overkill; More

With the ever growing disparities in Australia and the discrimination against older Citizens. With a Central Government that has little regard for the populace at large where do you think there is Hyperbole? My statement was simple neither of your major parties really listens to the view of the Public. Businesses and minority pressure Groups dictate direction and Policy or do you wear Blinkers to make the days rosier.

11 minutes ago, Kiwiken said:

With the ever growing disparities in Australia and the discrimination against older Citizens. With a Central Government that has little regard for the populace at large where do you think there is Hyperbole? My statement was simple neither of your major parties really listens to the view of the Public. Businesses and minority pressure Groups dictate direction and Policy or do you wear Blinkers to make the days rosier.

Good grief. Which part of Australia are you familiar with? Certainly not any part I can recognize ...

1 minute ago, mfd101 said:

Good grief. Which part of Australia are you familiar with? Certainly not any part I can recognize ...

Means tested pensions, restrictions on travel or are these things you accept as a normal world

Labor's campaign was politically dumb - they went all or nothing rather than going for incremental changes.

The removal of ranking credit refunds was a poorly thought out policy - after all, the white paper that suggested franking credits explicitly states that they are the first step and the second step is the refunds. The problem is how that policy interacts with the pension phase of super. If they had come out and said, for example, we are introducing a 5% "levy" that can not be reduced by franking credits then they probably would have gotten more support. They were suggesting a 30% decrease in people's income - that was, obviously, far too ambitious!

Banning refunds of franking credits all together would have affected everyone (you receive them in your super while you are still working). A better way of dealing with this is by reforming super, and may happen organically by governments over time when spikes in income are needed.

18 minutes ago, CapraIbex said:

Labor's campaign was politically dumb - they went all or nothing rather than going for incremental changes.

The removal of ranking credit refunds was a poorly thought out policy - after all, the white paper that suggested franking credits explicitly states that they are the first step and the second step is the refunds. The problem is how that policy interacts with the pension phase of super. If they had come out and said, for example, we are introducing a 5% "levy" that can not be reduced by franking credits then they probably would have gotten more support. They were suggesting a 30% decrease in people's income - that was, obviously, far too ambitious!

Banning refunds of franking credits all together would have affected everyone (you receive them in your super while you are still working). A better way of dealing with this is by reforming super, and may happen organically by governments over time when spikes in income are needed.

Yes, I agree will all of that. 2 comments:

- The teenager tendency of the Left & the Greens: All or nothing. If you won't give me 100% of what I ask, I'll I'll I'll I won't vote for you. Or sumpthink. The underlying attitudes are all too often anti-democratic. The authoritarianism of the Greens is little different in that regard from the fascist instincts of the various 'new' & extreme Rights in Europe. The issue is how a modern liberal democracy is to make, over time, the massive changes of economy & lifestyles that climate change requires of us. There is no easy answer. Our modern globalized & multicultural world is hugely complex & becoming more so.

- The ALP seems to regard anyone who earns, from whatever source, more than, say, AUD80,000pa as 'the big end of town'. In the Australia of 2019 where the average salary is around 80K, that's simply ridiculous.

- "The ALP seems to regard anyone who earns, from whatever source, more than, say, AUD80,000pa as 'the big end of town'. In the Australia of 2019 where the average salary is around 80K, that's simply ridiculous."

Yes-I would agree with that.

Archived