Great news on pollution.............not

XenZen

can find the article with a quick google search.  I'm in Thailand.  I am killing myself, and I guess I'm too lazy to move.  I know I might die younger because of the pollution, but yet I like to save money.  How is the pollution in Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos?  Is the air much better there?  anyhow, everytime I see kids coughing...........i cringe.  

====================

Air pollution may be damaging every organ and virtually every cell in the human body, according to a comprehensive new global review.

The research shows head-to-toe harm, from heart and lung disease to diabetes and dementia, and from liver problems and bladder cancer to brittle bones and damaged skin. Fertility, foetuses and children are also affected by toxic air, the review found.

The systemic damage is the result of pollutants causing inflammation that then floods through the body and ultrafine particles being carried around the body by the bloodstream.

Air pollution is a “public health emergency”, according to the World Health Organization, with more than 90% of the global population enduring toxic outdoor air. New analysis indicates 8.8m early deaths each year – double earlier estimates – making air pollution a bigger killer than tobacco smoking.

But the impact of different pollutants on many ailments remains to be established, suggesting well-known heart and lung damage is only “the tip of the iceberg”.

“Air pollution can harm acutely, as well as chronically, potentially affecting every organ in the body,” conclude the scientists from the Forum of International Respiratory Societies in the two review papers, published in the journal Chest. “Ultrafine particles pass through the [lungs], are readily picked up by cells, and carried via the bloodstream to expose virtually all cells in the body.”

Prof Dean Schraufnagel, at the University of Illinois at Chicago and who led the reviews, said: “I wouldn’t be surprised if almost every organ was affected. If something is missing [from the review] it is probably because there was no research yet.”

The review represents “very strong science”, said Dr Maria Neira, WHO director of public and environmental health: “It adds to the very heavy evidence we have already. There are more than 70,000 scientific papers to demonstrate that air pollution is affecting our health.”

She said she expected even more impacts of air pollution to be shown by future research: “Issues like Parkinson’s or autism, for which there is some evidence but maybe not the very strong linkages, that evidence is coming now.”

8 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

Oh cr*p......after reading this....along with the new visa regs...along with the insurance regs,

What is the point in living in Thailand anymore? Hardly much fun is it, especially in CM

London is OK though?

11 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

Oh cr*p......after reading this....along with the new visa regs...along with the insurance regs,

What is the point in living in Thailand anymore? Hardly much fun is it, especially in CM

So true, with the Pollution in CM, the ever changing tweaks to the visa rules, and the declining currency exchange rates, it is time to investigate new countries.

Proves to warn that he not busy being born
Is busy dying...  Bob Dylan:  It's Alright, Ma (I'm only bleeding)

The food we eat , the air we breathe, the water we drink or the vehicles we drive  will all get us in the end.  IMHO, Regards, S

Biosolar is a developing technology to clean the air .....these structures are teeming with microscopic plant life that can purify the surrounding air and produce nutritious ingredients for food.  Scientists are cultivating the bio-organisms on a panelling system that can be installed on buildings or land, much like solar panels.   Better at cleaning the air than trees!

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/05/biosolar-leaves-clean-air-pollution-better-than-trees

No-one with options should remain in the north between mid-January and mid-May. We have known this for at least a decade. It is not a problem that is going to improve over time. Houseplants won't change that.

3 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Adapt, or move.

Go to the 3M store to stock up on masks.

I agree.   But I think I would would have to wear a mask 200 days a year.  That is crazy.   You are right.  Either I adapt, or move.  

Should I really wear a mask 200 days, OR MORE, a year??   it's not a good situation

3 hours ago, SiamAndy said:

So true, with the Pollution in CM, the ever changing tweaks to the visa rules, and the declining currency exchange rates, it is time to investigate new countries.

Now matter where you go you need to be in a wilderness area to get awy from mobile phone tower radiation. It will get worse with the introduction of 5G.

Yes, the next subject of environmental 'silent killer'...EMF!!

Certain house plants can help to improve the air quality in ones immediate indoor environment,just as a mechanical air purifier does. Its all part of creating an in-house 'safe-zone'. Outdoors is a different matter.

The AQI levels of the past 10yrs have not even touched the record levels of PM2.5 that we have seen this season.

Is it a developing trend or anomaly?

Luckily I work in a clean-air zone on the otherside of the urban planet and only live in CM from Sept. to end of May. Being an avid cyclist I've found the air quality from Oct - to even very early Feb. to be fine. I have plans for a summer exodus next March-April, but if the PM2.5 levels start to rise in the atmosphere in Nov-Jan. then for sure it will be CHexit.

4 hours ago, Happystance said:

The masks are false hope as they hardly protect you.

So, for you, "adapt" means pretend...

Agree provide references........good quality ones.

It's a truly exceptional year for temp and AQI.

Bought an air purifier and used a mask when convenient on the worst days, and when doing exercise.

No big inconvenience for a while to live in one of the world's most popular cities very economically.

Still managed to jog up Doi Suthep etc etc regularly and at 70 have had no problems.

4 hours ago, Happystance said:

The masks are false hope as they hardly protect you.

So, for you, "adapt" means pretend...

Bought an air purifier and used a mask when convenient on the worst days, and when doing exercise.

No big inconvenience for a while to live in one of the world's most popular cities very economically.

Still managed to jog up Doi Suthep etc etc regularly and at 70 have had no problems.

'BTW that article cited is appalling.

A proper scientist does not say things like 

"Prof Dean Schraufnagel, at the University of Illinois at Chicago and who led the reviews, said: “I wouldn’t be surprised if almost every organ was affected. If something is missing [from the review] it is probably because there was no research yet.”

Wouldn't be surprised?

IF something is missing it's probably because xxxxxxxxxxx.

That's a big no-no.

6 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Think the smog has affected the brain. "one of the worlds most popular cities" ? . Chaing Mai does not even come into the reckoning on this list of best cities.  Where is your evidenc ?

https://www.timeout.com/things-to-do/best-cities-in-the-world

Think the smog has affected the brain. "one of the worlds most popular cities" ? . Chaing Mai does not even come into the reckoning on this list of best cities.  Where is your evidenc ?
https://www.timeout.com/things-to-do/best-cities-in-the-world

From yesterday.
Been many like it before.

https://money.usnews.com/money/retirement/baby-boomers/articles/the-10-best-places-to-retire-in-asia

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

one of the worlds most popular cities"

3 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Sorry you stated "one of the worlds most popular cities"  . I referenced a list of same where Chiang Mai did not come into the reckoning.  What you just referenced came from  best places to retire. A totally different concept from the worlds most popular city.  So I say again where is your reference to support your claim that Chiang Mai is one of the worlds most popular cities ?

1 hour ago, XenZen said:

I agree.   But I think I would would have to wear a mask 200 days a year.  That is crazy.   You are right.  Either I adapt, or move.  

Should I really wear a mask 200 days, OR MORE, a year??   it's not a good situation

If you're gonna stay there, it's at least a two-part solution:

1. HEPA air purifier(s) in your home to keep the indoor air pollution levels down.

2. N95 class respirator masks (like those made by 3M) to wear outside/when away from home...during the periods when the outdoors pollution levels are high.

If i recall correctly, that article came on the back of a headline like "70% of UK schools in high toxic areas"

The UK are actually concerned that air quality figures could be affected by someone farting.

UK and Thailand are one extreme to another tbh.

14 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

If i recall correctly, that article came on the back of a headline like "70% of UK schools in high toxic areas"

The UK are actually concerned that air quality figures could be affected by someone farting.

UK and Thailand are one extreme to another tbh.

Lots of of little farts in Thailand though ????

19 hours ago, HaleySabai said:

Biosolar is fascinating technology.

Certain types of leafy green plants can help to improve air quality in ones home environment..... we need all the help we can get,even in May.

9cbf62cf1ad1b9fb66c0fda3db3393aa.jpg

Air Q-plants.jpg

I did some research on these plants last month. Turns out that it's just bacteria in the soil associated with those plants that help to clean the air. Unfortunately those studies were done in a closed area with no air exchange. In actual reality unless you have a hundred plants in your room they won't make any difference in pollution levels.

Today is supposed to be super hot, death heat.  However, I think we will see some serious rain in the next few days.

Nonetheless, today would be maybe "Day 105" for wearing a face mask in CM if we followed all the guidelines.    

I'm convinced CM is the best city in the north, and better than all cities south of BKK.  However, I'm also sure that my lungs have suffered.  Maybe I will die 20-years early, it's possible.  instead of 90, 70.  It's funny how we don't care until it's too late.  I missed the burning season here this year, and will NEVER be in CM for another.  It's just too deadly, and nobody cares about my health more than I do.  

16 minutes ago, Oww said:

Notice the new wall of smoke that moved into CR... Anyone up there can confirm what's going on?

Could be in the way to CM. Prepare for the third wave.

Yes and the dragons are on their way from Burma plus the Mongols riding South from Laos.  We're doomed.

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

Yes and the dragons are on their way from Burma plus the Mongols riding South from Laos.  We're doomed.

Take a big inhale after that mouthful.

So the authorities in Mexico City show concern over resident's wellbeing and take action. 

Interestingly, today the AQI in Chiang Mai is identical to MC. And what do the authorities do? Sweet Fanny Adams. Just shows you what the democratically elected junta thinks of people's wellbeing doesn't it!

Archived