BANGKOK 19 June 2019 05:51
XenZen

Great news on pollution.............not

can find the article with a quick google search.  I'm in Thailand.  I am killing myself, and I guess I'm too lazy to move.  I know I might die younger because of the pollution, but yet I like to save money.  How is the pollution in Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos?  Is the air much better there?  anyhow, everytime I see kids coughing...........i cringe.  

====================

Air pollution may be damaging every organ and virtually every cell in the human body, according to a comprehensive new global review.

The research shows head-to-toe harm, from heart and lung disease to diabetes and dementia, and from liver problems and bladder cancer to brittle bones and damaged skin. Fertility, foetuses and children are also affected by toxic air, the review found.

The systemic damage is the result of pollutants causing inflammation that then floods through the body and ultrafine particles being carried around the body by the bloodstream.

Air pollution is a “public health emergency”, according to the World Health Organization, with more than 90% of the global population enduring toxic outdoor air. New analysis indicates 8.8m early deaths each year – double earlier estimates – making air pollution a bigger killer than tobacco smoking.

But the impact of different pollutants on many ailments remains to be established, suggesting well-known heart and lung damage is only “the tip of the iceberg”.

“Air pollution can harm acutely, as well as chronically, potentially affecting every organ in the body,” conclude the scientists from the Forum of International Respiratory Societies in the two review papers, published in the journal Chest. “Ultrafine particles pass through the [lungs], are readily picked up by cells, and carried via the bloodstream to expose virtually all cells in the body.”

Prof Dean Schraufnagel, at the University of Illinois at Chicago and who led the reviews, said: “I wouldn’t be surprised if almost every organ was affected. If something is missing [from the review] it is probably because there was no research yet.”

The review represents “very strong science”, said Dr Maria Neira, WHO director of public and environmental health: “It adds to the very heavy evidence we have already. There are more than 70,000 scientific papers to demonstrate that air pollution is affecting our health.”

She said she expected even more impacts of air pollution to be shown by future research: “Issues like Parkinson’s or autism, for which there is some evidence but maybe not the very strong linkages, that evidence is coming now.”

• Like 2

And don't forget lead poison that effects your brain. The longer you stay here, the weirder you'll get.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

Oh cr*p......after reading this....along with the new visa regs...along with the insurance regs,

What is the point in living in Thailand anymore? Hardly much fun is it, especially in CM

London is OK though?

11 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

Oh cr*p......after reading this....along with the new visa regs...along with the insurance regs,

What is the point in living in Thailand anymore? Hardly much fun is it, especially in CM

So true, with the Pollution in CM, the ever changing tweaks to the visa rules, and the declining currency exchange rates, it is time to investigate new countries.

Proves to warn that he not busy being born
Is busy dying...  Bob Dylan:  It's Alright, Ma (I'm only bleeding)

The food we eat , the air we breathe, the water we drink or the vehicles we drive  will all get us in the end.  IMHO, Regards, S

Adapt, or move.

Go to the 3M store to stock up on masks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

Adapt, or move.

The masks are false hope as they hardly protect you.

So, for you, "adapt" means pretend...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Happystance said:

The masks are false hope as they hardly protect you.

So, for you, "adapt" means pretend...

Please provide references.

• Like 2

Biosolar is a developing technology to clean the air .....these structures are teeming with microscopic plant life that can purify the surrounding air and produce nutritious ingredients for food.  Scientists are cultivating the bio-organisms on a panelling system that can be installed on buildings or land, much like solar panels.   Better at cleaning the air than trees!

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/05/biosolar-leaves-clean-air-pollution-better-than-trees

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Biosolar is a developing technology to clean the air .....these structures are teeming with microscopic plant life that can purify the surrounding air and produce nutritious ingredients for food.  Scientists are cultivating the bio-organisms on a panelling system that can be installed on buildings or land, much like solar panels.   Better at cleaning the air than trees!

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/05/biosolar-leaves-clean-air-pollution-better-than-trees

Thanks for the heads up.

Biosolar is fascinating technology.

Certain types of leafy green plants can help to improve air quality in ones home environment..... we need all the help we can get,even in May.

9cbf62cf1ad1b9fb66c0fda3db3393aa.jpg

Air Q-plants.jpg

Posted (edited)

No-one with options should remain in the north between mid-January and mid-May. We have known this for at least a decade. It is not a problem that is going to improve over time. Houseplants won't change that.

Edited by donnacha

3 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Adapt, or move.

I agree.   But I think I would would have to wear a mask 200 days a year.  That is crazy.   You are right.  Either I adapt, or move.  

Should I really wear a mask 200 days, OR MORE, a year??   it's not a good situation