Great news on pollution.............not

XenZen

On 5/19/2019 at 12:27 PM, HaleySabai said:

Certain house plants can help to improve the air quality in ones immediate indoor environment,just as a mechanical air purifier does.

What plants (other than the ones you are smoking) are improving your environment ?

~0:37;

16 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Thanks, I wasn't sure if I could provide the link.

It's a prison for sure, and maybe we are punishing ourselves for some reason.  I bet 90% of us could go to a healthier place, but too lazy to move.  one life, and we let our health go.......why?  because nobody said we have cancer, yet.  and when we do, we might say it wasn't pollution.

funny life

On 5/19/2019 at 12:12 AM, geoffbezoz said:

Think the smog has affected the brain. "one of the worlds most popular cities" ? . Chaing Mai does not even come into the reckoning on this list of best cities. 

CM is definitely one of Thailand's most popular cities. It's a fabulous place.

If only the air wasn't lethal... 

Jan through May, elsewhere is wisest...

On 5/19/2019 at 8:26 AM, Happystance said:

The masks are false hope as they hardly protect you.

So, for you, "adapt" means pretend...

They are plenty of studies on the efficiency of various filters on particles of various size (70nm to 10000nm); and there is no real discussion on the protection they offer. The only two issues I know with mask are

- Very efficient filters (N99, N100) start to limit more seriously the airflow, so breathing is more difficult

- Humidity accumulated in the mask can help bacterial growth and illness (hence the air valve on some masks to try to minimize this issue)

In terms of efficiency:

An N95 filter will theoretically reduce a PM2.5 of (AQI)500 to (AQI)25, N99 or N100 will do even better (respectively (AQI)5 and (AQI)1.5). That's not taking into account other factors playing on the Air Quality Index.

Even an unsuitable filter and a bad seal (i.e. surgical masks) will filter 80-90% of particles above 2.5 microns (they lose considerable efficiency for lower particle fraction (down to ~50% when you get in the tens of nanometers range), which is suprisingly good considering it is not designed for this purpose

5 hours ago, Happystance said:

CM is definitely one of Thailand's most popular cities. It's a fabulous place.

If only the air wasn't lethal... 

Jan through May, elsewhere is wisest...

Not disputing it is one of Thailands most popular cities. The point is was the statement by the poster it was one of the worlds most popular cities which so far has not been supported by any evidence whatsoever.

52 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Not disputing it is one of Thailands most popular cities. The point is was the statement by the poster it was one of the worlds most popular cities which so far has not been supported by any evidence whatsoever.

I guess it depends how you understand popular. If just in numbers, definitely not. With 3 millions tourist per year, it's good enough. But Pattaya, Phuket, and definitely Bangkok rank higher.

'popular' taken in terms of 'best to live in', then it's arguable. Chiang Mai has been listed several times in the top 10-15-30 (along with Kyoto, Ubud, Luang Prabang for cities in Asia)... but one can really wonder why during the hazy season, it's a lot of things but not 'fabulous' ???? .

One example among many others: The 2018 World's best cities (travel & leisure)

We are not young.  If the city is ranked number 1 and you have to wear a face mask..........well............use your brain, it's not number 1.   OK, so face mask for maybe 4 months.  How is that number 1?  Oh yea, only a few people go in June and of course people like to say great things.   

Here's what I know.  The HIGHS in CM are higher than the highs in any other cities I visited.  no, not a drug high....hahaha...but an enjoyment, happy feeling.  But the LOWS are low......endless hours of suffering to walk to buy 20 baht noodle soup and smiles at 711 while taking pictures with the pigeons.  hahahahha...... 

CM is definitely a little westernized.....maybe more than a little....and that's why we stay.  

clean air in the jungle with 9 people who speak fast would drive me even more crazy.   unless they had karaoke.....kdding

On 5/19/2019 at 12:55 PM, Date Masamune said:

Now matter where you go you need to be in a wilderness area to get awy from mobile phone tower radiation. It will get worse with the introduction of 5G.

Can cell phone towers cause health problems?

High levels of RF waves can cause a warming of body tissues, but the energy levels on the ground near a cell phone tower are far below the levels needed to cause this effect. So far, there is no evidence in published scientific reports that cell phone towers cause any other health problems.

In my book CM is not one of the top tourist attractions on the planet...why?

I saw what they call the attractions, went up Doi Sutep, Wat Umong, the Elephant camp......what else am I missing, the night safari, the royal flora show......far less attractions than if I had retired to Orlando and I am not American!

It's NOT that great here, now we have 5 months of awful air quality it's a joke to say that you have retired to paradise....why is it paradise?    All the time you need to spend at immigration, that sucks, having so much cash tied up here earning sweet fa that sucks, all this drama about health insurance when I can't get health insurance really does suck. It's too hot these days, that sucks, I could go on, but enough is enough. I am seriously considering packing up here, but could I sell my home, when according to what I read on here there are nigh on 175,000 homes for sale in LOS? It sure is a buyers market, just how much would I loose?

I have always tried to be positive about CM but after 15 years I am finding it laborious being in Thailand, especially up here in CM and my health is deteriorating fast.

I have just come back from my wife's hometown of Surat Thani...very pleasant and good a/q...not saying I would move there, but I am just sick and tired of being sick and tired...I was never this ill back home, but here I seem to live at the doctors surgery or the hospital, not saying it's all linked to the poor air quality, but it could be for all I know...my Doctor wears a mask all the time, that must tell me something!!

Sorry to drag this thread a bit off topic but I had to get it off my chest

I think WE are adapting and changing.  IF we came to CM for the first time today..... WOW.... great.  today was good.  and some rain.  But then, after years, we get tired and the newness wears off and we need a reality check.  CM is like many cities all over the world, BUT with death air.  Other cities see more problems, and the city changes to someone who lived there for a long time.  

I don't regret being in CM.... but i'm not going to retire here unless Visas are super, super easy (like maybe one check a year) and the air is good all 12-months.  no worries, no regrets.  i remember 10-years ago when it felt like home.   but it's changed, and i've changed.  it's OK.  

42 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

It sure is a buyers market, just how much would I loose?

I have always tried to be positive about CM but after 15 years I am finding it laborious being in Thailand, especially up here in CM and my health is deteriorating fast.

I am sure you have your priorities and reasons but it if it's your money or your health...?

Archived