Panipak eyes on Olympic glory after 2nd World Championships title

Panipak eyes on Olympic glory after 2nd World Championships title

By Lerpong Amsa-ngiam 
The Nation

d1294c374fc722ebee9109aba29160d2.jpeg

Panipak Wongpattanakit with her gold medal. (Photo Credit to Panipak Wongpattanakit Facebook)

World No 1 Panipak Wongpattanakit ousted two time Olympic champion Wu Jingyu of China to claim her second World Taekwondo Championships gold medal in Manchester on Saturday.

a67f4a5fae8743699f3a956a59847ce3.jpeg

The 21-year-old fighter outclassed the Beijing and London Olympics gold medallist 21-6 in the women’s 49kg final in the biennial tournament. Her previos victory in the World Championships was in Russia four years ago when she still competed in the 46kg category.

Hailing from Surat Thani, Panipak wrote on her personal facebook that her next goal is to win the Olympics in Japan next year.

“I am very happy to win the match today,” the country’s most successful taekwondo exponent posted on her facebook. “Thanks my coach and my team. I can’t do it without their support. Next match I hope I will do my best. I hope I will get gold medal in the Olympic Games in Japan.”

Thailand won two medals from the 2019 World Taekwondo Championships. The other was a bronze by Julanan Khantikulanon  after she finished third place in the women’s 46kg.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/sports/30369632

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-05-19

Archived