VIDEO: Na Jomtien beach polluted with putrid wastewater - tourists urged to stay away

rooster59

VIDEO: Na Jomtien beach polluted with putrid wastewater - tourists urged to stay away

640_9iaaekiebf5j99ajckig8.jpg

Image: The Nation TV

Tourists have been warned to avoid Na Jomtien beach in Chonburi after wastewater contaminated the sea turning it black.

The warning comes after footage shared to social media on Saturday showed the black putrid water gushing into the sea.

But with the beach expected to busy due to the holiday weekend, Moo 1 village chief in Na Jomtien Supot Inyam has warned tourists to stay away from the water and avoid the beach altogether, citing possible health risks should anyone come into contact with the wastewater. 

Tourists have instead been advised to visit other beaches in the area. 

A full investigation has been launched to determine the source of the pollution.

The warning comes after one of Thailand’s famous beaches that is popular with tourists was also contaminated with black wastewater earlier this week.

On Friday, Thai language media reported that tourists were avoiding Loh Dalum beach on Koh Phi Phi after wastewater which was pumped into the sea had turned the whole beach black.

562000004858301.jpg

Image: Loh Dalum beach on Thursday

The shocking sight was a far cry from the white soft sand and crystal clear water the island is known for. 

District official Pankum Kittitorakul said heavy rains had caused had caused waste water to flow into the ocean. 

Pankum also requested that people stop sharing pictures of the beach as the condition of the beach is improving daily and is almost back to normal. 

562000004858303.jpg

Image: Loh Dalum beach

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-19

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wongamat Beach, Pattaya Bay...Jomtien Beach are nothing but cesspools with the clueless city officials always turning their heads doing nothing to solve this issue.

Note: Pattaya is known to have plenty of income from the tax revenue to afford new raw sewage plants. The problem is the city would never maintain them if they did purchase a couple raw sewage processing plants. The place is truly an armpit of Thailand, 

1 minute ago, toenail said:

Wongamat Beach, Pattaya Bay...Jomtien Beach are nothing but cesspools with the clueless city officials always turning their heads doing nothing to solve this issue.

Note: Pattaya is known to have plenty of income from the tax revenue to afford new raw sewage plants. The problem is the city would never maintain them if they did purchase a couple raw sewage processing plants. The place is truly an armpit of Thailand, 

Actually,Thailand is pretty much all armpits.Rampant greed coupled with laziness and cargo-cultism leads to the inevitable.."we don't mind and you don't matter."

Yep! That is seriously nasty. I have been here 12 years and stopped going into the water anywhere near Pattaya and Jomtien about 11 years ago, as the water is always shitty to some degree. Stupidly all those years ago, I thought the council would address the problem, though as is apparent from these pictures, and the puzzled commentary on its origin, they have no clue whatsoever how to address the situation. Swimmers not wanting nasty infections or to die, should definitely stay out of the water here.

Actually,Thailand is pretty much all armpits.Rampant greed coupled with laziness and cargo-cultism leads to the inevitable.."we don't mind and you don't matter."

Seeing how focusing on making a fast profit and not thinking of proper city zoning, building codes, and protecting the environment was more important to government crony officials is a sad process to watch. I remember my first visit to Thailand back in ‘82 and the beaches were pristine ( and it really was a land of smiles).
Sad before mass tourism and development took over Thailand could not learn from the Western (developed) countries’ mistakes...but Thailand takes pride “doing things their way”.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

21 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Think I first visited Pattaya in the late 90s and it was a $hithole then. Anybody know the approx year/years it all went wrong??

early to mid 80s it was fine, great place to holiday.  I lived in Hong Kong at the time and we would come here for a long weekend to get away from the crowds and pollution of HK.  

Go about 10km east of Rayong and there are miles and miles or clean water and none polluted beaches.  But even here, across the beach road, the garbage and trash are left to rot.  They will screw this area up given time. 

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

Reminds me of Blackpool

With the sandy bank of the outlet collapsing during the video this looks like a sudden surge of water, as in being released from a storage facility somewhere, a sewage works or large cesspit maybe? It should be easy to find by just tracing it upstream, but if the owner of the source has money maybe it won’t be discovered at all.  

43 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

early to mid 80s it was fine, great place to holiday.  I lived in Hong Kong at the time and we would come here for a long weekend to get away from the crowds and pollution of HK.  

Early 90's it started really going downhill.

I've never been in the sea here in all the years I've been here.

maybe...just maybe...all the natural dropping from trees, birds, animals (including humans), Etc simply accumulated during the dry season. then heavy rain. all the 'natural' trash must go somewhere. You cannot filter the rivers, streams, and canals. it is all going to the ocean. I think this might be normal for countries with a long dry season then bang...heavy rains. I do not know but Pattaya is a huge cash cow for Thailand. hard to believe they are avoiding a solution. they know all goes bye bye if they ignore the problem.

Countries beg for tourist. trust me...there is a cost of doing business. pay that cost and all will be happy. ignore that cost and...sorry.

1 hour ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Think I first visited Pattaya in the late 90s and it was a $hithole then. Anybody know the approx year/years it all went wrong??

Well I Can say it was CLEAN / Pristine on my 1st Visit.............But That was in 1976 !!!!

1 minute ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Of course!

Didn't go to hospital, went to a clinic and got antibiotic pills/cream. 

Took about a month to heal though

Staff infection is a hard one. I got it when about 11yrs old and almost lost my leg. One hospital-clinic payment on record for the good guys, even though we are all considered bad undesirables now. 

Archived