VIDEO: Na Jomtien beach polluted with putrid wastewater - tourists urged to stay away

rooster59

It's quite simple really.  Greed, overpopulation, no planning...etc.   I firmly believe it is the Thai's goal to eventually make all of Thailand like Bangkok.  They have achieved that goal with the once beautiful Chang Mai.  Pattaya is almost there growing far too quickly with massive pollution on and offshore.  You wouldn't think of swimming anywhere near Bangkok would you?  Pattaya like Bangkok is well past the point of no return.  Forget about swimming in a clean ocean off Pattaya or Jomtien ever again.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use to pay 200 baht extra just to go to this beach instead of normal jomtien area now im skipping chon buri beaches all together becauses pollution, they need to spend the money now or become irreversible & people get illnesses , Thailand tourism will really go down in Pattaya....

It's a sad story i have not been in the sea for over 2 years now and that's chaweng beach . the water is not clean . i think waste is being dropped in all the sea  around thailand i have seen the ferries dumping old oil  . Best to use swimming pools that are looked after and properly maintained 

SAD WORLD   

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Yep! That is seriously nasty. I have been here 12 years and stopped going into the water anywhere near Pattaya and Jomtien about 11 years ago, as the water is always shitty to some degree. Stupidly all those years ago, I thought the council would address the problem, though as is apparent from these pictures, and the puzzled commentary on its origin, they have no clue whatsoever how to address the situation. Swimmers not wanting nasty infections or to die, should definitely stay out of the water here.

Pattaya beach was always a shithole since I first visited it about 23 years ago. Jet ski scammers and an ocean where you can't swim? 

Rayong with its super polluted air where countless innocent factory workers die of cancer. 

And now Jomtien and beaches in the south? 

Land of Smiles, or Land of Lies? 

4 hours ago, toenail said:

Wongamat Beach, Pattaya Bay...Jomtien Beach are nothing but cesspools with the clueless city officials always turning their heads doing nothing to solve this issue.

Note: Pattaya is known to have plenty of income from the tax revenue to afford new raw sewage plants. The problem is the city would never maintain them if they did purchase a couple raw sewage processing plants. The place is truly an armpit of Thailand, 

No surprise...they're all like crappers...nothing will change here. If Thais wanted change they would change things, example, the Mandatory health insurance, Visa requirements, etc...they DO NOT care or want to change anything about the pollution....just accept it as life in the land of smiles.  

Ive been holidaying Thailand over 11 years but had enough.The bad traffic,bad hygene mass tourism and general contempt for health and safety is out of control.I got nasty virus from air conditioning unit i believe this year and still suffering 4 months later back in U.K. ...ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Yep! That is seriously nasty. I have been here 12 years and stopped going into the water anywhere near Pattaya and Jomtien about 11 years ago, as the water is always shitty to some degree. Stupidly all those years ago, I thought the council would address the problem, though as is apparent from these pictures, and the puzzled commentary on its origin, they have no clue whatsoever how to address the situation. Swimmers not wanting nasty infections or to die, should definitely stay out of the water here.

I can remember back 20 yrs ago swimming on Jontiem which I like then as Pattaya water was slimy then.

You see this black silt at many beaches now, Koh Samui etc..

Even the Kings beach at Hua Hin has an outlet by the public playground that discharge that horrible black smelly stuff.

I am sure vehicle road rubber, wear from tyres drifts from the roads into culverts and into the ocean along with the sewerage.

I think it was last year, maybe in the Pattaya Mail, an official was being bluntly honest when he said that the only way to address the infrastructure problems would be to pull the city down and start again from the beginning. I cant argue with that statement.

The beaches are unimportant to the Chinese tour buses.

The traffic and accidents are unimportant to the Chinese tour buses.

The rest of the world and it's population are unimportant to the Chinese tour buses and the Thai tourist economy.

As long as the Chinese keep coming and spending money these little things are unimportant.

Chinese, money and more money will win every time.

1st question :  WHY are sewage drain pipes still installed at the beach in 2019?  Can't believe they haven't ALL been removed yet, especially since this is a recurring problem.

2nd question:  And were these discharges ACCIDENTAL or ON PURPOSE... as in scheduled discharges?

Oh yeah... $$$ T.I.T. $$$

4 hours ago, essox essox said:

launched a full investigation....it states.

How many times do we hear/see this....AND NOTHING EVER GETS DONE

Oh yeah but only over the last 40 years in my personal experience.......give them a chance.

I have seen videos of black water seeping into Jomtien water early morning during high season. Filmed by condo owners from View Talay , apparently it happens quite often. Disgusting that authorities are allowing such a health hazard !

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

That and children I think. Perhaps cash invested in property.

If not for my daughter, I would move to another Asian country that wouldn’t be perfect, but would have less obvious downsides. Even now, i’m starting to wonder how easy it would be for her to settle in another country.

Might do her the world of good. Most of the kids who are 'moved' overseas only want to come back for a visit now and then.

3 hours ago, topt said:

If you are referencing the article do you know where Na Jomtien is?

It is actually the opposite side of Pattaya to Jomtien........

Even so I agree Jomtien beach is hardly "pristine" any more.

Na Jomtien is south of Jomtien, next door, heading towards Bang Saray.  Are you thinking os Naklua?

5 hours ago, essox essox said:

launched a full investigation....it states.

How many times do we hear/see this....AND NOTHING EVER GETS DONE

This is thailand  always the same and always will be

really this is a filthy country everywhere with dirt polution and plastic everywhere and no one cases or does anything and never will THAI PEOPLE HAVE A NATURAL ABILITY TO NOT SEE FILTH 

Near hat chow samran the government is spending millions of baht on new roads that are very quiet rural roads and do not need 4 lanes but it is a VISABLE thing the government is doing 

CLEANING THAILAND IS NOT VISABLE

doesn't surprise me !  Living in Jomtien Yacht Club and having a boat in the klong ,  we see this pollution everyday and no one cares !   The marine departments are supposed to be responsible for the marine environments (Sattahip and Pattaya)  but there are dumped wrecks in the klong behind the police station and no one has done anything about it (even dumped accident vehicles now).  Its as bad as Soi 6 - if you drive from Na Jomtien traffic lights down soi 6 it like a rubbish tip on the sides of the roads with fly tipping AND this is on the road to police station where the police must pass all the time !!   Fly Tipping - no policing - no fines , seems to be the norm for the local environment . 

What a pity ,  Jomtien Yacht Club was once a highly desirable haven now reduced to a rubbish tip !  

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

warned tourists to stay away from the water and avoid the beach altogether, citing possible health risks should anyone come into contact with the wastewater.

How to look after your #1 family friendly resort..

pocket all the money... forget the infrastructure just live for today and to hell with the reputation and not worry about tomorrow

local & international tourists are their only source of income.. but hey lets pollute the beach and drive them all away!!!!!

Lets be honest in the nearly 30 years i have been associated with Thailand/Chonburi area its never improved. It never will either. The more they build without the required infrastructure improvements the worse this will get. Another how many 100's of millions of baht on sand to be washed away?  They would have been better to sort the water issues out first before buying sand...   They have Waste flowing into the ocean in Sihanoukville in Cambodia........ https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/waste-flowing-ocean-sihanoukville  Its not just a Thai thing .. If it wasnt for the Missus Being a Thai National i would spend far less time in Thailand and more time exploring  Asia..

3 hours ago, Zack61 said:

I say share share share and share again

The Problem is the Important people dont care!!!..... You can share until your keyboard fails and it will make no difference at all. Never has never will. i have watched the slow decline for decades. every year more building and more waste. I dont know what the answer is because its all about the chiefs and vested interests and they are going away. Never have never will IMHO.. Unless they are forced to swim in the sea daily until they remedy the issues, but they prefer their private pools i guess.. 

4 minutes ago, moontang said:

This wont be big news, because most farang have no intention of going to Pattaya or surrounds, let alone going in the water.  

Most Falang are going to Pattaya for a different sort of dip than the Ocean... ????

Archived