BANGKOK 19 June 2019 05:40
rooster59

Phuket Opinion: Recalibrating the retirement visa

Phuket Opinion: Recalibrating the retirement visa

By The Phuket News

1558084294_1-org.jpg

The section for Non-Immigrant O-A visas on the application form as available for download from the Royal Thai Embassy in Canberra, Australia.

PHUKET: The move currently in progress to ensure retirees staying in Thailand on Non-Immigrant O-A “retirement” visas have some form of health insurance has opened a veritable can of worms.

In announcing the new policy – which has yet to be brought into effect – Dr Natthawut Prasertsiripong, Chief of the Ministry of Public Health Department of Health Service Support, noted that “foreigners who are in their elder years staying on this type of visa have more health issues than other foreigners staying on other types of visas.”

That’s not rocket science. Older people anywhere have more health issues than younger folk, but Dr Nutthawut also plainly pointed out that the government is looking to unload the burden of footing the bill for medical treatment left unpaid by senior expats who didn’t have the money to pay them.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-recalibrating-the-retirement-visa-71468.php#3rZeLytseGXWvXbX.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-05-19

...a similar situation in the UK with "health-tourism"?

• Like 2

I wonder how many here that are over 50 are on O-A visas?

It doesn’t (at the moment) affect us on extensions due to marriage or retirement.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Changoverandout said:

It doesn’t (at the moment) affect us on extensions due to marriage or retirement.

I was about to point that out myself.  As of the latest interpretation I have seen, what you say is true. Therefor the article is irrelevant by having its facts all wrong.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Changoverandout said:

The good doctor is gunning for you too...

37 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

^^^ Totally Agree!

Someone need to inform the good doctor that we 80,000 long stay visitors are required by law to plop down 65,000 a month for the privilege of living here...

80,000 x 12 x 65,000 = 62,400,000,000...

The Thai government insures that a hefty portion of that ends up in their coffers in the form of many taxes and fees...

Compare that statistic to the 300 million you lost mostly due to mismanagement... aka 600,000 people walk out the door without paying... :coffee1:

Taking your figures as a base line it averages out to 500 baht per person.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sfokevin said:

^^^ Totally Agree!

Someone need to inform the good doctor that we 80,000 long stay visitors are required by law to plop down 65,000 a month for the privilege of living here...

The Thai government insures that a hefty portion of that ends up in their coffers in the form of many taxes and fees...

Compare that statistic to the 300 million you lost mostly due to mismanagement... aka 600,000 people walk out the door without paying... :coffee1:

• 'Normal' use of the NHS—by foreign visitors who've ended up being treated while in England—is estimated to cost about £1.8 billion a year.

That's about 72 billion Baht per annum.
Edited by LeungKen
Reduce font size

1 hour ago, sfokevin said:

First the good doctor needs to explain the “business” practices they employ that allow 600,000 people to walk out the door without paying?... :coffee1:

You do know that it's a mistake by TheNation, don't you? :whistling:

58 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Not true. O-A (Long Stay) visa has no requirement to bring money in Thailand.

• Haha 1

I read both Phuket based media. One clearly stated required for annual extensions. The other stated not required for retirement extension.  Seems a contradiction to me.

As it happens I do have good health insurance but I never take the out patient option as it's just not cost effective. 

Last time I checked those on 12 month extensions now had to keep a bank balance of at least Bt400,000 12 months a year

Unless of course you use an agent to bypass the rules and bribe an IO  - which means this group of people likely don't have the money - go figure