My wife and I, both British, have had retirement extensions for the past ten years, issued in Bangkok. This means that we have a good chunk of money in the bank, which was there for immigration and emergency purposes. However, with the new financial stipulations, this means we have limited access to our money for any emergencies that may occur. I therefore intend to continue with my retirement extension, but change my wife's to dependent.

As my wife will be in England when I go to CW to get my extension, does anybody know whether we can get her dependent extension on her return, and whether I need a new bank letter confirming my account balance? Lastly, is there anything else I need to be aware of, for example, I take it that she can leave and re-enter Thailand without me, provided she has a re-entry permit?

Thank you for any advice you can give.

She could change the reason for her extension from retirement to one based upon her being your spouse when she applies for her extension. Her extension would be issued to the date your extension will end.

To apply for her extension she will need your marriage certificate legalized in the UK. Procedure to have it done is here.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/714089/Legalisation_info_June_2018.pdf

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alantheembalmer said:

Lastly, is there anything else I need to be aware of, for example, I take it that she can leave and re-enter Thailand without me, provided she has a re-entry permit?

Yes your wife can travel and will receive the remainder of any permission to stay if she re-enters with a re-entry permit.

You wife’s extension will be issued based on relationship (spouse), not dependency (financial).

Make sure, when your wife applies, that she doesn’t show she has 800K in an account in her own name as they might insist on processing an extension based on retirement.

• Like 2