Pattaya police target smoke-belching trucks

Rimmer

Pattaya police target smoke-belching trucks

image.png

PATTAYA:--Traffic police targeted smoke-belching vehicles at a Sukhumvit Road checkpoint in South Pattaya.

Numerous vehicles violating air-quality standards were ticketed. Pollution Control Department officers also affixed yellow stickers to the vehicles and recorded their license plate numbers suspending use of the vehicles for 30 days while the exhaust systems are repaired.

Companies using the cited vehicles during that time are subject to a 5,000-baht fine.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-05-19--

42 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

while the exhaust systems are repaired.

Exhaust repaired .! How's about scrapping them instead .. The output of black sooty smoke like the wreck in the photo is emitting is much more than a twanged exhaust and is usually indicative of a lack of servicing at the very least if not deeper rooted engine problems .. Said before on numerous other threads relating to the pollution issue if the authorities are serious about limiting the amount of pollution emitted by vehicles they need to make those vehicles pay to enter as London and other European cities have done .. That requires a huge amount of investment in technology to operate such schemes and it also requires a step change in the attitude to vehicle ownership and use here .. Best carry a dust mask with you for the foreseeable .. 

10 minutes ago, Fred white said:

We and our neighbors do it out here there's no trash pick up and no other way to get rid of it. I'd be happy to pay for trash pick up if it was available ????

Of course there are other ways to get rid of it.  I bought a machine that compacts all my trash, then I send my trash to environmentally-friendly companies who take care of the trash.  Yes, it costs me 100,000 baht a month, but there is a way!!!!!    

42 minutes ago, Fred white said:

We and our neighbors do it out here there's no trash pick up and no other way to get rid of it. I'd be happy to pay for trash pick up if it was available ????

Yes I understand that in the rural areas, it happens when I visit the Mrs' village and is required on her land. But here in the City there is collection, and yet many still like to light up a fire. 

7 minutes ago, AlexCanada said:

Only a 5000 baht fine if your vehicle is both suspended for 30 days AND you get caught again driving it.  What are the chances of that happening?  How about a 5000 baht fine right off the bat?  

And clamp the vehicle. 

4 hours ago, XenZen said:

Of course there are other ways to get rid of it.  I bought a machine that compacts all my trash, then I send my trash to environmentally-friendly companies who take care of the trash.  Yes, it costs me 100,000 baht a month, but there is a way!!!!!    

the council should collect ALL rubbish, why should you pay such a large sum???

7 hours ago, XenZen said:

I'm glad you're rich that's over 1 million a year ????

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

Came home last night at 10 pm.  There was a huge blaze opposite the Wat where a piece of land is being cleared presumably for houses.

Thailand the land of Pyromaniacs :whistling:

Archived