BANGKOK

New to gardening here. I'm going to grow a few various herbs, veggies, peppers. When is the best time to get them in the ground here? Considering rainy season is approaching that is.

I'm located in Chiang Rai fwiw.

Posted (edited)

I think it comes down to your soil situation and how much blasting full sun the foliage can handle.    I have made a raised bed so that drainage to the soil will be guaranteed.   I was going to plant in the ground,  but I was worried about the roots setting in mud all day during the rain season.   I planted pumpkins 4 days ago and they've gone from seed to 4 inches along in that time.    

Edited by samuttodd

5 minutes ago, samuttodd said:

I think it comes down to your soil situation and how much blasting full sun the foliage can handle.    I have made a raised bed so that drainage to the soil will be guaranteed.   I was going to plant in the ground,  but I was worried about the roots setting in mud all day during the rain season.   I planted pumpkins 4 days ago and they've gone from seed to 4 inches along in that time.    

Yea I'm actually having someone put together a planter box for me. Do you attempt to limit the sun at all? In the US I'd usually pull my plants under some shade during the hottest part of the day (they were all in pots), but obviously that isn't possible with a planting box.

we use a raised planter box ...... set near a large tree.  If lettuce must not get too much sun,  Tomatoes can take a lot of sun but do not like to be "drowned".   Mix the soil well, of course.  Can plant now but need to take good care for things to do well.  Start out slow  🙂

IMG_0215 (1).JPG

Tomatos.jpg

52663179_2646993505315779_4636727060742537216_n.jpg

Re: sun exposure.   I am going to let the plants go and if they start getting burns,  I'll rig up a shade for them.    Thus far they are doing very well

One thing I wouldn't do is plant tomatoes going into the rainy season. They don't like having wet leaves for long.
As for shade, I shade the whole garden apart from fruit trees.

Sent from my iris88_go using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I don't have the links handy on phone but if you google florida gardening calendar you should get a number of suggestions. Florida has a similar climate to thailand....cooler dry season, wet season.

Tomatoes from end of wet season, lettuce in the cool season, and stick to the open leaf varieties.

• Like 1