Duck Eggs - Do You Eat Them ?

I have already posted advice a number of times in the farming forum for both chicken and ducks and, a thought recently came to mind.   My background was / is as a freelance poultry / duck farm consultant in different countries, now retired.

A number of people posting in the Farming forum are interested in having or already have ducks.

I expect most of them that do, do so because they enjoy eating duck eggs and would like them ‘farm’ fresh.

Where did you buy duck eggs from in the past ?   

Did you buy the ones that were chalky white clean or the dirty ones ?

Were the eggs displayed laying neatly in a basket or pointed end up on a tray ?

The question you need to ask yourself about the eggs is, how clean are they really ?

If you bought them because they were clean like chicken eggs beware … !

Chickens are land animals ducks are water animals.     When in the wild and as is their natural instinct chickens lay on dry land ducks lay in wetlands or on floating nests; they try to retain that instinct today despite being commercialized / domesticated.

The duck egg has a cuticle that is wax like in appearance and to the touch – it is there for a purpose – to inhibit water / excess moisture entering into the egg.     Such protection is not required by chicken eggs.

Why are the duck eggs you normally find in Thailand chalky white and clean ? because they are eggs that were fertile or should have been fertile, had been especially cleaned using a controlled chlorine washing system ready for setting in the hatchery where, they should of hatched in to baby ducks.  You may be eating fertile eggs !  There may have already been contamination depending on the storage condition of the eggs.   Note, eggs for a hatchery would have been stored in a cold store therefore, there is a higher risk when these are placed in the open air for sale.

Duck eggs at the market that still have the cuticle ( cuticle on ) may have come from commercial egg laying ducks or parent stock ducks.

Duck eggs should never be cleaned for domestic consumption other than by a non-abrasive damp cloth.     Never use sandpaper as can be done, carefully, with chicken eggs.

Duck eggs at the market may be made to look dirty in order to confuse the buyer in to thinking they are ‘farm’ fresh.   

Eggs whether from ducks or chicken should always be stored pointed end DOWN.

The blunt end of an egg has an air pocket between the inner and outer shell membranes.   This gradually enlarges as the egg loses moisture during storage. Keeping the air pocket at the top helps to keep the yolk centered within the egg and prevents the air pocket from rupturing, which reduces the risk of the egg spoiling.

As the advert used to say “Go to work on an egg”.

I do eat duck eggs, when I keep ducks.

However, I won't pay a premium price for them, and neither will anyone else.

If you undercut the chicken egg prices they will sell, if they're more expensive they won't sell.

Everything else you wrote about is just blowing smoke.

The only thing that counts is the selling price.

Clean Vs dirty eggs, I'll buy the cheapest.

Nice display Vs sold in newspaper, still buying the cheapest.

Pointy end up Vs pointy end down, what's the price?

Nothing matters but the price.

I love duck eggs, best as soft boiled eggs. Ways better than chicken eggs.

In my home country they disappeared completely from the market because there was bad publicity about salmonella contamination and now it is required to label them with a cautionary sticker to boil them thoroughly 10 minutes. I guess that scared many people away

My nearest place I can find duck eggd is Gourmet Market Supermarket (I think it's related to either Tops or Central).

They are from KCF brand and labelled as free range eggs. Eggs are always a bit dirty and still have this waxy appearance so I'll guess they are know how to produce and handle them properly. Can't recall the price exactly but not much more than organic / free range chicken eggs.
Fresh duck eggs often sold out. So either there is high demand or lack of supply (chain management).

Archived