Computer was working fine until now. Suddenly it still works, but slowly.

myjawe

hello, I have a 4 years old Acer that was working fine until now. Suddenly it still works, but slowly. For example when I launch Google Chrome I can see it open the window quite slowly, and even a explorer for files window will open slowly. But once tabs are open, video or anything else is working fine. I tried the SAFE MODE without drivers and still, the computer is slow.

This computer has windows 10, SSD and 12go RAM.

What could be the problem ? Could it be a RAM or motherboard problem ?

Any other idea ?

thank you so much.

Please post what operating system and what version you're using.

MODERATOR:  please make a sticky post with this as a requirement for posting and asking for help with a computer problem.

I'll assume Windows, so I suggest you start Task Manager, enable display for all processes, then sort the list of processes by level of CPU usage.  Report results or ask for details of how to accomplish the above steps.  Google each step and you will likely find instructions.

This will hopefully show you which process is slowing down your computer

24 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I'll assume Windows,

You do not have to assume Windows since he clearly stated Windows 10.

He also booted into safe mode so, though not a bad idea, checking processes is probably not going to find it.  Again, in safe mode, CCcleaner will probably not do much - but won't hurt.

Does your SSD have its own utility?   Sometimes the drive specific utility can find SSD issues. 

I don't know if safe mode was run with or without network.  Many times, a super slow network will make everything appear to be slow because of something in the background.

I suggest a good virus (paid) system scan or at least something like the above mentioned Malwarebytes.   Next would be a failing SSD or one that is nearly full.  Also, there have been reports that an April Windows update was causing some people to have slow down issues. If, and only it, all else fails, you can try removing updates for the last month or so.

Call Acer and they will tell you to "refresh" aka reinstall your computer.  And I am sure you must have a recent backup to do that?

Too late now, but I always have a bootable USB drive which I can use to eliminate any software issues.

Good luck. 

OP, please take both memory cards out, clean them with an eraser and put them back in.

Then go to drive C- Properties, click Disc cleanup. Then another Window pops up that shows you how many MB/GB you can free up.

I could free up more than 12 GB on one machine, all the old updates that aren't needed and finally slow down your machine. 

Once your machine is running again, create an image by using Macrium ( free) and store it on an external drive. takes not more than 20 minutes and you have your system back as it was when running great. 

Screenshot (153).png

18 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

You do not have to assume Windows since he clearly stated Windows 10.

He also booted into safe mode so, though not a bad idea, checking processes is probably not going to find it.  Again, in safe mode, CCcleaner will probably not do much - but won't hurt.

Does your SSD have its own utility?   Sometimes the drive specific utility can find SSD issues. 

I don't know if safe mode was run with or without network.  Many times, a super slow network will make everything appear to be slow because of something in the background.

I suggest a good virus (paid) system scan or at least something like the above mentioned Malwarebytes.   Next would be a failing SSD or one that is nearly full.  Also, there have been reports that an April Windows update was causing some people to have slow down issues. If, and only it, all else fails, you can try removing updates for the last month or so.

Call Acer and they will tell you to "refresh" aka reinstall your computer.  And I am sure you must have a recent backup to do that?

Too late now, but I always have a bootable USB drive which I can use to eliminate any software issues.

Good luck. 

CC cleaner was good when Windows didn't have certain programs installed. You do not do any good by using CC cleaner these days when running Windows 10. 

https://betanews.com/2018/08/01/do-not-install-the-latest-version-of-ccleaner/

https://www.howtogeek.com/361112/heres-what-you-should-use-instead-of-ccleaner/

18 hours ago, SkyNets said:

Do not defrag a SSD, thats only for mechanical drives. Download CCleaner and run it, then download malwarebytes and run it, youll be fine.

CC cleaner was only good when Windows didn't have certain programs.

You do your machine more harm by using CC cleaner now. 

https://betanews.com/2018/08/01/do-not-install-the-latest-version-of-ccleaner/

Check in the task manager if you see 12GB RAM.

Likely that are at least 2 modules in your PC, maybe more.

If one of them is damaged or the connection is bad you have less available RAM and that makes the PC slower - at least if you have a couple of programs open at the same time.

But this is only one of the possible problems

On 5/19/2019 at 7:29 PM, AAArdvark said:

Also, there have been reports that an April Windows update was causing some people to have slow down issues.

Indeed. My system has always been fine but since last month I sometimes get uncontrolled bursts of CPU use when opening or closing windows to the extent that audio stutters and even slows down. It's obviously an operating system issue so I'm just waiting for Microsoft to fix it in a future update.

I also have repeated slow-running problems with Windows 10. I need to get rid. It is ridiculous. I think it has to be the operating system. I have tried just about everything else.

3 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Acer is a junk brand IMO. 

99% of all PCs are just commodity items made it China regardless of the brand.  Companies like HP, Dell, Acer have multiple models out there at the same time.  Some are good and some are no so good within the brand. 

Before doing all the technical stuff, empty your recycle bin, you will be surprised of the difference it makes if you haven’t done that in a while and it’s full with deleted videos etc.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Thaivisa Connect

Hello, everything listed here has been done except paying for a stupid antivirus that is more than useless when you know what you are doing with a computer.

So it could be a windows update problem ?!

Any information about next fixes ?

thanks to all.

I would try some hardware benchmark software.  I think there are some decent free versions.  Look for one that will test disk, memory and video performance.  I remember Geekbench but that was several years ago.  Some of those applications allow you to compare your results with other users of the same hardware.  If you can compare with those and see if any hardware issues are illuminated.

Archived