The most magical holiday in Thailand.

About 2 years ago I went to Chantanaburi province and stayed at a hotel on the coast. I took my mum and family with me and we stayed there for 2 weeks.

Ah, it was bliss. Chao Lao beach it was called. A mile of beach with no one I mean nobody on it, every day just empty beach.

We went in October so unfortunately there were lots of jellyfish in the sea but they didn't sting. So it was kind of fascinating to watch them with my snorkel gear on. We went to a dolphin show, an aquarium, a couple of waterfalls and went shopping for gem stones in the main town.

I had the most magical time there and the food was delicious. Great big fish buffets every night from our balcony overlooking the sea.20171015_172557.jpg

1 hour ago, Wilsonandson said:

magical holiday in Thailand.

Where did you go?

What was special about it?

Who did you go with?

What did you do there?

Where did you go? 

Year 1999 went Pattaya but didn't like it so went to Ko Samui got a place right on a beach it was beaut then.

Cheap food, cheap beer and girls free.

Who did you go with?

By myself wanted to be free to do do whatever I wanted.

What did you do there?

Had a wonderful time with two beaut young live-in ladies who I just paid for food & drink, and treated them to some clothes.    

Went everywere in Thailand for professional and personal reasons.
Found beautifull places everywhere,since I m fond of the tropics.
Magical?I still find Thai culture and essence magical.

I really wish you can relate.

The first day I set foot in Thailand was the beginning of a wonderful adventure for me (and still is).

I was 51, came for a 3 day convention, loved it so much I stayed a month and spent most of that time thinking about my future. I had a house and a business back home. The deciding thought for me was when I recalled the advice of an old lady many years before that. She said ..when a person is on their death bed and if asked if the have any regrets looking back over their life....you will never hear them say..."I wish I had spent more time in the office".

I went home, sold the house, closed the business and moved here.

I am now almost 70 and have lived the best years if my life in Thailand.

PS. That is why I get very sad (ok angry) when I find so many people on here "chaumping at the bit" to knock this wonderful country as often as they can.

Can you blame people for wondering why they are here at all?

First time here when I was 22 in 2011. An incredible month with a group of mates (Bangkok, Pattaya, Koh Samet, Koh Chang, Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Phuket). I knew pretty quickly into that trip I was moving here. 

Fang is actually a pretty boring place. I hired a scooter and took my Thai GF on a loop from Chiang Rai through Mae Chan, Thaton, Doi Ang Khan, Fang, and Mae Suai, staying at hotels on the way. There was a very comfortable hotel behind the Tesco Lotus in Fang, stayed there two days. My GF refers to Fang as our honeymoon.

Where did you go?

Phuket, in 1983 before Patong was what it is today.

It was beautiful, weather was great, few people, could walk on the beach with trees nearby for shade.  Food vendors along the small road.  It sure has changed over the past 36 years.

Who did you go with?

My Thai wife of one year who I had met in the USA where she was a grad student.  It was my first time to Thailand.

What did you do there?

Ate a lot of seafood on the beach.  Went to see a few sites on the island.  

Chaolao Tosang Beach was pretty crowded yesterday because of the long weekend but it was still beautiful at sunset. As long as I have lived in Thailand this was my first time in Chanthaburi. 

FF86630B-053C-45DD-86F3-F11F3E7D373D.thumb.jpeg.8221ad2b5f3744c7cacb269d45197caa.jpeg&key=d6cedd39bde0df95681a788f522a4f16f178b70437babbe3bef4f2eba7b2914c 

Yes on my 2 week holiday there the weekend had a few Thai families on the beach and banana boats going up and down the seashore. I think it was the time of year that maybe effected the tourism because October is jellyfish season and there was literally thousands of them in the sea. So maybe that puts people off going there then. The beach was empty during the week days.

46 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

PS. That is why I get very sad (ok angry) when I find so many people on here "chaumping at the bit" to knock this wonderful country as often as they can.

Can you blame people for wondering why they are here at all?

One can love something or someone, and yet criticize it or her, in a constructive manner of course. 

For example, if the woman you love starts playing dice and bet the house, you might get pissed, never mind your feelings for her... unless you have been completely brainwashed. 

Thailand, for its part, has made many dubious choices during the last 20 years, and foreigners who have lived through the changes, like myself, can be disappointed and sometime willing to vent their frustration. 

Now, that doesn't mean that it is better somewhere else since, thanks to globalization, all the countries are generally doing the same stupid things, more or less at the same time... for example, in this part of the world, doing their best to attract the hordes of Chinese tourists... 

Having said that, my best time in Thailand was in Phuket in August 1978.

At that time, only Rawaii was opened to tourism, the other beaches such as Kata or Patong were entirely free of constructions and visitors. 

There were no more than 10 foreigners at a time... James Bond island was as deserted as in the movie and the gipsy village in Phang Nga was catering to a single table of visitors at lunch time...those were the days of non-mass tourism... 

January 2008. First trip to Thailand, and went to Udon Thani (Because i had spoken to a girl from there on the internet). Arrived via train in the early morning, went for a walk, found a beautiful park, later found a fishing lake, fishing by 3 p.m. By that evening already knew i had found home.  Never did meet the girl, but she was soon replaced. Was offered a cracking waitress as a long term partner by a hotel/restaurant manager by day three - should have said yes, but was honest and said couldn't commit yet. Never mind, another girl asked to stay with me later that day!

Made some good friends in my 9 days there, and met my wife to be on my last full day there (although i didn't realise it, as just running a small fishing park, who i told 'enjoyed my day's fishing, and i will be back'.) She took that literally and prepared for my return ........

2008 and 2009 .... golden years.

18 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

We went in October so unfortunately there were lots of jellyfish in the sea but they didn't sting. So it was kind of fascinating to watch them with my snorkel gear on

You must have had to help them get into the snorkel gear... but once they got it on, it must have been fascinating. 

Just joking - thanks for the photo and info... 

2 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Samui, 40 years ago. A paradise back then.

I rented a small bungalow on the beach in Samui from 89-91, perfect ???? & then along came progress ???? 

5 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

At Suvarnabhumi Airport waiting to board my plane out of here....????

bet that was really really magical wondering when one would get thru passport control....and paying big money for airport foods !!!

Koh Lipe with the family this year was excellent. The coral and diverse sea life compared to the Maldives. Food was reasonably priced and good. Only problem was the trip was painful - Pattaya to Rayong by car, Rayong to Hat Yai by plane, Hat Yai to the coast by bus, two hour boat ride to the island.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 4:39 AM, dotpoom said:

That is why I get very sad (ok angry) when I find so many people on here "chaumping at the bit" to knock this wonderful country as often as they can.

Thank you very much for write this. Feel the same as you do. ????

My vacation from last y can count as one of the best i ever had.

Went from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai in 21 days doing the Mae Hong Son loop by car.

Specialy the area around Chiang Dao and Fang gave me a feeling of " here is where i wanna live" and i don't really know why. It was a feeling what overcame me when i left on my way to MHS. The scenery gave me a very relaxing feeling.

And even this tour gave me already a good feeling unfortunatly i made it in april and not just after the wet season. I know i have to go there again some november and do the same tour to see much more flowers, green and more.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 4:30 PM, Thingamabob said:

Samui, 40 years ago. A paradise back then.

Agreed. Remember Charlie's Hut?

I stayed on Chaweng in the place with the huge thatched roof ( not Charlie's Hut ) restaurant. Don't remember the name now, but it was burned down years later- arson apparently. Ark bar before it went trendy. Brilliant.

Like everything popular, the good days went, destroyed by greed and concrete.

Thing about Thailand back then, was that every day was magical. I spent more holidays than I can remember on Thai beaches, and almost all of them were brilliant. Stayed in crappy huts with holes in the mossy screens- I took a roll of masking tape to patch them, but the beds were usually comfy ( sometimes like a board though ), always had an ensuite bathroom, the beaches were bliss, the restaurants simple but it was always fun eating on the sand with crabs running around my feet.

Only one I really hated was at Hua Hin, which was completely ruined by illegally encroached condos, and that horrid Hilton in the middle of the town.

Always took a companion. Is there anywhere else in the world where an average guy ( not rich ) can arrive, find a companion in a few days and go stay in a hut actually on the sand for a couple of weeks? Eventually found a "permanent" companion for each trip. She lasted 8 years and then she got married to someone else. After that, finding a new companion each time was part of the "fun".

In the photo section of TVF there used to be photos of 3 young ladies that accompanied one lucky guy to the beach. Easy on the eye too. I found one to be sufficient though. Over the years I took a lot of companions to the beaches of LOS, and only a couple were disappointing- perhaps I was just lucky.

I'm trying to think of one trip that was more magical than the rest, but failing. Perhaps the best was on west Railay with a real DDG beauty, for a month. Loved watching the sunsets every evening, and at night the frog choir lulled me to sleep. Sadly, the place I stayed at has gone, replaced by a horrid concrete resort with a swimming pool.

Many has been the time I wished I could have had a groundhog day when staying on a on a lovely beach, with a lovely girl, but if wishes were horses ………………………………….

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:48 PM, Foexie said:

My vacation from last y can count as one of the best i ever had.

Went from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai in 21 days doing the Mae Hong Son loop by car.

Specialy the area around Chiang Dao and Fang gave me a feeling of " here is where i wanna live" and i don't really know why. It was a feeling what overcame me when i left on my way to MHS. The scenery gave me a very relaxing feeling.

And even this tour gave me already a good feeling unfortunatly i made it in april and not just after the wet season. I know i have to go there again some november and do the same tour to see much more flowers, green and more.

I did that tour too, though not all at the same time. Don't know what people find attractive about Fang though.

Chang Dao was great. I used to stay at Malees, till they stopped having cheap bungalows.

There was a better cave temple further north. Tub Tao cave is the name. Worth the sidetrack, as it's a bit off the main road.

Anyone remember the original Track of the Tiger hotel at Thaton? I did a tour that stopped there many years ago, and it was amazing. More recently I went looking for it, but replaced by bog standard concrete buildings- sad.

Riverside hotel in Thaton was great. fantastic view of the river and jungle clad cliff opposite. Fantastic temple on top of a hill.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 1:51 PM, smccolley said:

Koh Lipe with the family this year was excellent. The coral and diverse sea life compared to the Maldives. Food was reasonably priced and good. Only problem was the trip was painful - Pattaya to Rayong by car, Rayong to Hat Yai by plane, Hat Yai to the coast by bus, two hour boat ride to the island.

Luxury!

Back in the good old days I used to stay at Than Sadet on Phanang. Overnight sleeper from Bkk to Surat Thani, rattletrap bus from train station to pier, cramped boat with hard seats to Phangan, 4x4 pickup to Than Sadet down a terrible road. Of course the pickup had no seats or roof. sat on the floor and got sunburnt. Suffered train, boat and bus break downs, and had to wait hours for a replacement or a tow. Travel in LOS was always part of the adventure.

Worth it though. If there was any beach I'd like to live on in LOS, it'd be Than Sadet.

This thread has made me melancholy. I had such wonderful adventures ands amazing beach stays with such nice companions. I'll never be so fortunate again. Even if I won a million bucks on Lotto, the beaches won't be the same. Ruined by concrete and resorts. Nothing stays the same, but it's a pity they had to ruin them.

Does anyone remember Joy Bungalows on Phra Nang beach Ao Nang, Krabi before The Dusit resort was built?  Back in 1987 it was run by an amiable German guy and some young Thai guys. Very basic bungalows and the well soon ran out of fresh water, but it was fun exploring what was still an undeveloped area. Ao nang beach only had one building- a hut called The Last Cafe which was run by 3 siblings. The guy knew Aed Carabao from his university days, didn't have much good to say about him!

It was a lovely time as everything and everyone was so relaxed, soon got to know the vendors on the beach, there weren't many then and the bay next to Ao Nang was completely deserted.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:23 PM, bannork said:

Does anyone remember Joy Bungalows on Phra Nang beach Ao Nang, Krabi before The Dusit resort was built?  Back in 1987 it was run by an amiable German guy and some young Thai guys. Very basic bungalows and the well soon ran out of fresh water, but it was fun exploring what was still an undeveloped area. Ao nang beach only had one building- a hut called The Last Cafe which was run by 3 siblings. The guy knew Aed Carabao from his university days, didn't have much good to say about him!

It was a lovely time as everything and everyone was so relaxed, soon got to know the vendors on the beach, there weren't many then and the bay next to Ao Nang was completely deserted.

I went early 90s and it was well developed  by then. Didn't like it and the beach was rubbish, IMO. Only went there on the way to Railay.

Archived