The most magical holiday in Thailand.

On 5/25/2019 at 9:41 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

PS I think the name of the place with the huge thatch roof was JR or JJ something, maybe Palace. Looked amazing, about the middle of the beach, behind the reef. Close to OP bungalow, though that has probably gone by now.

OP Bungalows still there and still run by Pan and family. Though it's smaller, as the lease ran out on half of the land. The other half is now called Marine Resort . 

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:19 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

That first time in Thailand in 1994...

Oh, but wasn't it great back then! The girls were beautiful and slim, prices were right, the beaches were loveable, and PC hadn't even peeked in.

I think I was lucky to work where I got enough money to enjoy everything it had, and the time off work to be able to go there for more than a few days at a time ( though I did once go for only a week when working in Saudi- the place sucked, but the money was fantastic ).

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:16 PM, rickudon said:

January 2008. First trip to Thailand, and went to Udon Thani (Because i had spoken to a girl from there on the internet). Arrived via train in the early morning, went for a walk, found a beautiful park, later found a fishing lake, fishing by 3 p.m. By that evening already knew i had found home.  Never did meet the girl, but she was soon replaced. Was offered a cracking waitress as a long term partner by a hotel/restaurant manager by day three - should have said yes, but was honest and said couldn't commit yet. Never mind, another girl asked to stay with me later that day!

Made some good friends in my 9 days there, and met my wife to be on my last full day there (although i didn't realise it, as just running a small fishing park, who i told 'enjoyed my day's fishing, and i will be back'.) She took that literally and prepared for my return ........

2008 and 2009 .... golden years.

Seems strange seeing guys saying 2008/9 were golden years. I know we all have different perspectives, but IMO after the financial crash in 1997 it all turned to doodoo.

Expats left when their jobs disappeared and eventually Thaksin really ruined the place. Never been as good as the 90s, for me at least.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:
On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:24 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Maldives 30 years ago

maldives-beach-palm-1.jpg

Never been there. Have they ruined it as much as Thai beaches are now?

Yes, the have ruined it - at least in my opinion. When I was there we had a couple of huts on the beach. Maybe 10 huts on one island. And now they do this and call it progress...

dhigali-maldives-41142991-1493886510-Ima

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, the have ruined it - at least in my opinion. When I was there we had a couple of huts on the beach. Maybe 10 huts on one island. And now they do this and call it progress...

dhigali-maldives-41142991-1493886510-Ima

I call it greed. What is sad is that the rich people that go to stay in those abominable resorts have no idea of what staying on a truly beautiful beach is like.

I was lucky enough to stay on some really beautiful Thai beaches before they were ruined to cater for the flashpackers.

On 5/20/2019 at 10:02 AM, Lacessit said:

Fang is actually a pretty boring place. I hired a scooter and took my Thai GF on a loop from Chiang Rai through Mae Chan, Thaton, Doi Ang Khan, Fang, and Mae Suai, staying at hotels on the way. There was a very comfortable hotel behind the Tesco Lotus in Fang, stayed there two days. My GF refers to Fang as our honeymoon.

Most of my memorable Thai experiences have involved a woman and a room.

The best deserted beaches and cliff walks were always when I lived in Cornwall, nowhere better in the world, nobody ever there but us.

Image(18).jpg

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Most of my memorable Thai experiences have involved a woman and a room.

The best deserted beaches and cliff walks were always when I lived in Cornwall, nowhere better in the world, nobody ever there but us.

Interesting comment.

I agree with part 1.

And part 2 is certainly an interesting experience. When I was in school we made a trip to a foreign country, the UK, and we stayed in Tintagel in Cornwall. Walking along the cost was truly fascinating - and normally I prefer warm beaches...

On 5/20/2019 at 9:53 AM, BobbyL said:

First time here when I was 22 in 2011. An incredible month with a group of mates (Bangkok, Pattaya, Koh Samet, Koh Chang, Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Phuket). I knew pretty quickly into that trip I was moving here. 

I'm impressed, a group of young guys come for a holiday and you remember it. ????

I guess Chang was not to your taste :drunk:

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Interesting comment.

I agree with part 1.

And part 2 is certainly an interesting experience. When I was in school we made a trip to a foreign country, the UK, and we stayed in Tintagel in Cornwall. Walking along the cost was truly fascinating - and normally I prefer warm beaches...

I lived 10Km from Tintagel, swam in the sea year round with a wet suit (waves allowing).

36 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I lived 10Km from Tintagel, swam in the sea year round with a wet suit (waves allowing).

I understand why you are in Thailand.

When we were there with the school for ten days I saw only ugly girls.

Then one day we spotted two girls which looked at least half ok - German tourists...

Archived