Health Insurance for me and my thai wife

damen

Which company should I find, I am either staying in Phuket mostly, sometimes in Pattaya too.

We are still relativity young, me 31, Thai wife 27.

However, my wife worried that we may get unlucky and get some serious illness in the future, like a heart problem or some sort of cancer. 

I saw that Aetna Health Insurance get great feedback, however, I think it might be expensive as I got an online quote is nearly 50k each person. And we don't really need worldwide coverage, perhaps just SEA / Asia coverage which I'm myself is from Singapore. 

We got a quote from K Bank - Muang Thai Insurance 32k for me, 27k for my wife - But not sure how reliable. Since they did not ask us to do any health check-up before purchasing which I am not sure if that is a norm in Thailand. 

Hi,

I am currently working for company

There are many criteria whether the company will ask for medical check-up or not; 

It depends on (1) your documents such as work permit or commercial registration of your business

(2) your age

(3) your insured sum of life coverage

In general norm of Thai insurance company, normally a company gives a full trust on customer declare on their health condition so it will not require a health check up before purchasing for every customer. 

Therefore, a client should honestly declare their health or otherwise there can be a problem when happening a claim. 

So, in most cases, Thai companies will not ask for a check up prior to purchasing a health insurance.

As for Aetna. Been with them for 7 years. Had 1 or 2 cases of Hospital claims I think. Stay 1 night, observation, our 2yr old son..

No problems with claims, service overall is good and quick.

However, their insured amounts are very low, (Major Medical insured sum is 600k p/year) whilst I paid just over 109k THB p/year for 4 persons (39, 49, 14 & 2 yrs old). That's after deducting 10% payback for no claim.

So I started shopping around a bit this year and found much cheaper options with way better insured sums. 

Aetna started calling to ask me why I had not finished renewal yet, so I told them, well, there's much better options out there so I'm planning to switch.

All of a sudden, 20% discount two weeks ago.

Today dropped them an email that I would make a decision after receiving a last quote.. And other emails comes in, another 5% discount.

Angry with myself for wasting so much money the last couple years, but ok, that's myself to blame in part, but sure as well, Aetna would have had no problems keeping me had they offered discounts from their own initiative.

Long story short, if you're with an insurance company for some years, pressure them into discounts!

They need you more than you need them.

• 1 month later...
As for Aetna. Been with them for 7 years. Had 1 or 2 cases of Hospital claims I think. Stay 1 night, observation, our 2yr old son..
No problems with claims, service overall is good and quick.
However, their insured amounts are very low, (Major Medical insured sum is 600k p/year) whilst I paid just over 109k THB p/year for 4 persons (39, 49, 14 & 2 yrs old). That's after deducting 10% payback for no claim.

So I started shopping around a bit this year and found much cheaper options with way better insured sums. 
Aetna started calling to ask me why I had not finished renewal yet, so I told them, well, there's much better options out there so I'm planning to switch.
All of a sudden, 20% discount two weeks ago.
Today dropped them an email that I would make a decision after receiving a last quote.. And other emails comes in, another 5% discount.

Angry with myself for wasting so much money the last couple years, but ok, that's myself to blame in part, but sure as well, Aetna would have had no problems keeping me had they offered discounts from their own initiative.

Long story short, if you're with an insurance company for some years, pressure them into discounts!
They need you more than you need them.
I am insured with Aetna too, could you please share the better options you've found?

Sent from my oppo f9 using Tapatalk

Archived