How do you keep your animals cool in the heat?

16 hours ago, CharlieH said:

There are plenty of shaded areas under the trees and a large plastic bowl filled with water they often jump in or walk through.

The cats we feed are feral so used to it but they do sit under our sala in the shade and drink copiously. 

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

Yep, true enough, otherwise I'd be clever enough to live somewhere else.  

Likewise. Our dog Dorhu has the alternative name of Boofhead, which fits him very well. He's loved by all household members.IMG20190219130600.thumb.jpg.493b577ba36c577135f7e83659d0a9e8.jpg

Our tabby is 12 years old, inside/outside cat. She comes and goes as she pleases, but when its really hot, she is in the bed room with us or lays down on the tile floor. Born in Thailand and understands where to go, when its hot. But as a father, I keep an eye on her. Everyday, she gets brushed so no unwanted hair. 

some in laws moved in recently and brought a puppy with them, a personable little hound that likes being around humans, even falangs...they live in the attached shophouse next door to mine on the ground floor and in the hot weather the dog settles fer lots of fresh water to drink and being next to humans indoors on the tile floor...she circulates between their house and mine and can sleep fer hours...I note that our 10 y.o. grandson is forming an attachment...a bilingual hound as I talk to her in english as in hangdog this and that and hangdog whatever and she seems to get my drift...

On 5/19/2019 at 9:14 PM, CharlieH said:

There are plenty of shaded areas under the trees and a large plastic bowl filled with water they often jump in or walk through.

Had to laugh when the neighbour's puppy came to my house and deliberately (I was watching) tipped over the dogs' living room water bowl, and lay in the large puddle!

Edit - Have to add that neighbour's dog is clearly very intelligent as he takes himself down to the beach every afternoon (just before my 'nap' time) to cool down in the sea, and then joins us on the bed (soaking wet and covered in sand......) to join our nap in front of a large fan or, on particularly hot days, in the aircon...... ???? ????

23 hours ago, itsallmine68 said:

As mentioned the cooling mats are great WE have a Golden Retriever and when I bring it out he is onto it immediately

I recently bought a cooling mat - and my dogs mostly ignore it ☹️.  I think this is probably explained by the cooling effect not being immediately obvious?

Hopefully they'll gradually realise the benefits, as one of them partly lays on it every now and again.

Meanwhile, I continue as always - if one of my dogs is clearly too hot, turn one of the fans directly onto them.

If it's a particularly hot day and fans aren't enough, I turn on the aircon.

On 5/20/2019 at 10:08 AM, itsallmine68 said:

As mentioned the cooling mats are great WE have a Golden Retriever and when I bring it out he is onto it immediately

And Retrievers can spend their day swimming in a basin. I put big factory ice cubes in it and they enjoy it more.

Archived