Thai social security and retirement

I opened and ran my company in Thailand legally for nearly 25 years.  About 6 or 7 years  ago I wanted to retire but i was told by the social security office in chiangmai that i could get approximately 120k only in a lump sum returned to me that i paid into the program but i could not continue with the medical insurance plan that i was required to have while working here.   I wanted the insurance so i did not retire then.   Earlier this year I did finally retire.   I was told that now i could continue the social security medical insurance program.   But i could not draw any of the benefits in lump sum nor monthly.  Lump sum now is about 180k.   I could get that money refunded to me, no problem.    But i could not get my money back AND pay 432 baht per month for the insurance.  I can elect to do one or the other but not both.   Is there something wrong with this picture?   

• Like 1

I find it not logical that a government-operated or other health insurance refunds the contributions made during the time of employment but the SS in Thailand strangely does this.

4 hours ago, Maestro said:

I find it not logical that a government-operated or other health insurance refunds the contributions made during the time of employment but the SS in Thailand strangely does this.

Social security is not just health-related but has to do about unemployment and retirement benefits.  So instead of getting retirement payments for the rest of your life you can get those payments in a lump sum.

My bet is that with people living longer and possible raises in the payouts in the future they are better off paying off people lump sums.

I worked ~167 months paying into SS and Thai tax system before retirement. I opted for the lump sum and got back 180K baht. I didn't know I could have continued payment into SS for the health insurance????.  2 years later I'm working again paying into the system for 17 months now (since 2 year break). Planning to retire again. Would I qualify for continuing payment to SS for the health insurance and if so which office to set that up? Is it same as SS office that I went for apply the lump sum payment I went to a few years ago? Appreciate replies. Thanks.

I was under the impression that after 15 years contributions, we could get a monthly pension based upon the last 4 years salary and continue to pay into the health scheme. Or take a lump sum

Anyone else heard of this?

As I've no intention of taking the balcony route, I was planning to take my chances with the monthly

I have a card from a public school I'd worked at. I'm gone, insurance might have lapsed. Asked the wife to help but that's gone nowhere.

How can I continue the medical insurance. I don't much care about the retirement. Thanks

21 minutes ago, grumbleweed said:

I was under the impression that after 15 years contributions, we could get a monthly pension based upon the last 4 years salary and continue to pay into the health scheme. Or take a lump sum

As I've no intention of taking the balcony route, I was planning to take my chances with the monthly

Its something like 20% of the salary... max salary being Bt.15,000.

Hi Uncola,

Like you I was a Director of a company but not for nearly as long. I retired last year and received THB178,000.0 from the SSO. I asked the Finance Manager if I could continue to pay each month for the Social Security and she confirmed that I could.

I went to the Nontaburi SS office and they were most helpful. The only issue was they did not accept payments from Bangkok Bank and I did not want to use 7 11 so I went to Krungsri Bank and opened an account with them and deposited sufficient funds to cover a few years of payments which are debited each month.

If I was able to do this within the existing rules then I see no problem with you doing the same, perhaps someone in the CM office is not fully aware of the rules/law pertaining to your situation.

• Like 2

I worked ~167 months paying into SS and Thai tax system before retirement. I opted for the lump sum and got back 180K baht. I didn't know I could have continued payment into SS for the health insurance[emoji25].  2 years later I'm working again paying into the system for 17 months now (since 2 year break). Planning to retire again. Would I qualify for continuing payment to SS for the health insurance and if so which office to set that up? Is it same as SS office that I went for apply the lump sum payment I went to a few years ago? Appreciate replies. Thanks.
Under 60 you'll be okay I find the Social Security office at rayong to be very helpful that is where I set up my medical after retirement

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

I have a card from a public school I'd worked at. I'm gone, insurance might have lapsed. Asked the wife to help but that's gone nowhere.

How can I continue the medical insurance. I don't much care about the retirement. Thanks
If you don't apply within six months after leaving employment you are out of luck

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hereforgood said:

If you don't apply within six months after leaving employment you are out of luck

I believe I'm in that window. Do you have a number? Website? English better but can get my wife to help. Thx

It is not just health insurance. Health cover is only part of the SS benefit. There is also a small pension component. It is that money which you can at retirement receive either as a lump sum or a monthly payment.

OP info in post #2 is accurate. Continuing the health insurance is an absolute right providing you enrol as self pay within 6 months and has nothing to do with what you decide re the pension/lump sum.

Call or email the head office and if necessary call them while in your SS branch office and have them talk to the staff there.

Enrolling as self pay will be easier if you have a Thai pink ID card because there is a field where they need to enter ID number. There is a work-around for foreigners wirhout ID card but only the head office seems to know it.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I worked ~167 months paying into SS and Thai tax system before retirement. I opted for the lump sum and got back 180K baht. I didn't know I could have continued payment into SS for the health insurance[emoji25].  2 years later I'm working again paying into the system for 17 months now (since 2 year break). Planning to retire again. Would I qualify for continuing payment to SS for the health insurance and if so which office to set that up? Is it same as SS office that I went for apply the lump sum payment I went to a few years ago? Appreciate replies. Thanks.

Yes once covered by SS for 13 months you can continue the health cover for life. You have to arrange within 6 months of stopping work. Can do at any SS office but some may refuse or wrongly say you can't, necessitating a call to the head office. See post above.

• Like 1

I believe I'm in that window. Do you have a number? Website? English better but can get my wife to help. Thx
If you Google rayong social security office it comes right up. I think if you give them your social security number on the phone they can tell you about your eligibility they did in my case without a trip there just to be told that I was not eligible.

• Thanks 1

The pension/lump sum is one thing the healthcover is another.

After 13 months inthe system you can continue the health cover for life through self pay if you sign up for it within 6 months of stopping work.

I do not off hand know the rules re pension/lump sum except that it is entirely separate from the health cover.

If you google you can find the entire Social Security law in English which explains all of this.

• Thanks 2

Thanks everyone. My HoD never thought much of the insurance. Is it worthwhile to continue? I understand it's inexpensive. In other posts I've seen foreigners state yes. Thanks and sorry to hijack the thread.

Thanks everyone. So ez, duh.

https://www.sso.go.th
Is it worth it to continue? I would say absolutely in my case they paid for a complete double hip replacement all the post-op and pre-op care all the medicine and the room. 16 days in the hospital I was when I got out my bill was 0 owed by Me. Not a single baht and the care I got with second to none the Doctor Who did my surgeries told me he is working there to pay for the education that they gave him he has to work for 5 years at government hospitals. He told me if I would have had it done at a private Hospital in the region chances are he would have been the guy to do it as well as he floats from private to government hospitals to pay off its debt for the education they provided him with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent. One final question then. Is this government hospital in Bangkok? Curious because sounds like everything went well doctors, insurance. Thanks.

No in Sri Ratcha

Queens Savang Vadhana Memorial Hospital

• Thanks 1

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to comment on my problem with thai social security.   I am encouraged and will begin by contacting social security bkk tomorrow. 

I just wish i could get as much interest in 4 big air conditioners i am trying to sell.   5555  ok.   That's asking a lot to ask.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Number 6 said:

I had good luck and went to the office one week before the six months deadline. If it's not longer than six months, you're good to get back in by paying 438 baht per month. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hereforgood said:

If you Google rayong social security office it comes right up. I think if you give them your social security number on the phone they can tell you about your eligibility they did in my case without a trip there just to be told that I was not eligible.

Sorry, but the number of foreigners isn't in their database. I had to find that out when a Thai friend who works for the government wanted to check on my social security.

Usually, they only have to type your number, and all info pops up, not for us.

My friend then called the head office of the province where they started to lie, telling him that my passport number would be there instead. But that's not true.

• Thanks 1

Sorry, but the number of foreigners isn't in their database. I had to find that out when a Thai friend who works for the government wanted to check on my social security.
Usually, they only have to type your number, and all info pops up, not for us.
My friend then called the head office of the province where they started to lie, telling him that my passport number would be there instead. But that's not true.

Maybe this is something new because in my case the lady wanted my social security number over the phone checked on it told me my eligibility was valid and to come in and they would start the paperwork and that's what we did but this is Thailand so who knows maybe things have changed

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hereforgood said:

Maybe this is something new because in my case the lady wanted my social security number over the phone checked on it told me my eligibility was valid and to come in and they would start the paperwork and that's what we did but this is Thailand so who knows maybe things have changed

Thanks for replying. That was more than five years ago and it could be possible that we're in the system now. But we triple checked and I just didn't exist. 

Edited by Isaanbiker

Thanks for replying. That was more than five years ago and it could be possible that we're in the system now. But we triple checked and I just didn't exist. 
You know my guess is it's kind of like when you go to immigration to renew a Visa for your extension for a Visa. One day they want your tm30 they want this they want that. Somebody else will go in they don't ask him for any of that stuff you just never know they're not playing off the same sheet. When I called or when my girl called that was just about eight months ago so they could have changed policy but again who knows.