Thai social security and retirement

5 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

The SS is worth every single baht you pay in. It's not just for health care, it covers the time of unemployment, but only up to 55 years old and a few more goodies. Go for it, don't worry what others tell you. 

What do mean only up to 55 years old?

6 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

My apologies for asking this question, but where do I stand as an employee? I'll turn 60 next year, could I take the amount I've paid in as a lump sum out and continue to pay in 438 baht?

yes you can once you stop working just be sure to do this within 6 months of leaving work

Edited by hereforgood

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is not just health insurance. Health cover is only part of the SS benefit. There is also a small pension component. It is that money which you can at retirement receive either as a lump sum or a monthly payment...

Thank you. I understand it clearly now.

I've been paying social security here for the past 13 years and used the medical insurance a few times and had no problems, although I use in combination with another medical insurance if over the amount allowed. Just wondering if this medical insurance is enough to cover the visa requirements of OA, I'm not on OA but sure the new rule will apply to us all one day.

7 hours ago, SkyNets said:

I've been paying social security here for the past 13 years and used the medical insurance a few times and had no problems, although I use in combination with another medical insurance if over the amount allowed. Just wondering if this medical insurance is enough to cover the visa requirements of OA, I'm not on OA but sure the new rule will apply to us all one day.

The cover obtained through SSO payments are in excess of both the THB40,000.0 outpatients and the THB400,000.0 inpatients requirements.

• Like 1

I'll add my experience to the record. After teaching for one school in Bangkok until I was sixty I was able to withdraw the accumulated pension amount which was half contributed by me and half by the school, plus interest. I received 75k in cash in less than 2 hours (I arrived at social security office at the beginning of lunch hour+. The process required the sign off by the office manager who was out for lunch and that accounted for the delay) Amount contributed by me was 3% of the first 15k of salary . The school was required to match that. Since I was 60, they gave me 6 months free coverage and then the option to continue insurance by payment of 432baht/mo. The insurance covers everything. It has paid for a two level fusion of cervical vertebrae to correct pain and numbness in arms and hands and also a two level laminectomy of lumbar vertebra. Each operation was a bit over 100k. The only thing I paid for was a private room for recovery.  I now receive medication for hypertension and cholesterol, again all paid for in full. The last time I talked to the SS office I found out that I was again accumulating money in the pension fund of about 300 baht each month (plus interest). (Didn't know that!) However that money cannot be paid out unless you decide to give up insurance. Leaving country...knowing the "end" is near? There is also a death/cremation benefit of 40k. The accumulated benefit and death/cremation fund can be assigned to a beneficiary/spouse. RE: Bangkok hospitals: All gov't hospitals are partners as well as some mid level private hospitals which elect to join.       

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 5/20/2019 at 3:23 PM, Isaanbiker said:

Thanks for replying. That was more than five years ago and it could be possible that we're in the system now. But we triple checked and I just didn't exist. 

You can register and log in on the SSO website and check for yourself. That has been possible for many years.

On 5/20/2019 at 10:58 PM, jhawks09 said:

I'll add my experience to the record. After teaching for one school in Bangkok until I was sixty I was able to withdraw the accumulated pension amount which was half contributed by me and half by the school, plus interest. I received 75k in cash in less than 2 hours (I arrived at social security office at the beginning of lunch hour+. The process required the sign off by the office manager who was out for lunch and that accounted for the delay) Amount contributed by me was 3% of the first 15k of salary . The school was required to match that. Since I was 60, they gave me 6 months free coverage and then the option to continue insurance by payment of 432baht/mo. The insurance covers everything. It has paid for a two level fusion of cervical vertebrae to correct pain and numbness in arms and hands and also a two level laminectomy of lumbar vertebra. Each operation was a bit over 100k. The only thing I paid for was a private room for recovery.  I now receive medication for hypertension and cholesterol, again all paid for in full. The last time I talked to the SS office I found out that I was again accumulating money in the pension fund of about 300 baht each month (plus interest). (Didn't know that!) However that money cannot be paid out unless you decide to give up insurance. Leaving country...knowing the "end" is near? There is also a death/cremation benefit of 40k. The accumulated benefit and death/cremation fund can be assigned to a beneficiary/spouse. RE: Bangkok hospitals: All gov't hospitals are partners as well as some mid level private hospitals which elect to join.       

When I was working in Bangkok, I chose Camillian Hospital. Once I was upset about something and switched to a government hospital for a year or so. Then I returned to Camillian. They built a new wing just for SS patients. I saw my assigned doctor every two to four weeks. I would take home enough medicine for hypertension and cholesterol to last me to the next appointment. Every other appointment or so I would undergo a complete blood test. Not just a finger <deleted> but a full blown lab test. I also got a eye check twice a year. This continued after I retired.

But Camillian dropped out of the the program, so I had to choose another hospital from a list. I was shocked to find that govt hospitals weren’t included. I think this list is for only the B432 program. The current private, local hospital is very bad. The docs seem to be under pressure to keep costs to a minimum. When I see my doc, he just refills my drugs. He doesn’t ask how I’m doing. He doesn’t schedule any blood tests. I have to demand a test. When I asked about getting my eyes checked, he got angry, saying I’m always asking for things.  Turns out that I have glaucoma and need medicine for that. But this hospital will dispense only a 30-day supply at a time, so I have to go back every month.

Also once I happened to see a card from SS offering a free full health check, including a X-ray. My doctor never mentioned that.

My other problem is that I don’t know what services are covered under the B432 plan. In the US, many tests and vaccinations are free for US SS recipients.

BTW, I was told that I could get the pension payout as a lump sum because the monthly payments were only for members who had been in the system for a minimum of x years, and SS itself wasn’t even that old. In other words, they hadn’t started the monthly payments yet.

3 hours ago, 10years said:

BTW, I was told that I could get the pension payout as a lump sum because the monthly payments were only for members who had been in the system for a minimum of x years, and SS itself wasn’t even that old. In other words, they hadn’t started the monthly payments yet.

I was told that if you had paid for more that 180 months you could only get the monthly payments and not the one time payment. 

18 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I was told that if you had paid for more that 180 months you could only get the monthly payments and not the one time payment. 

You are eligible for a pension (monthly payments) if you make at least 180 months of contributions. That’s 15 years. Since SS was launched in 1990 or 1991, anyone retirng before 2005 or 2006 was inegible for a pension. If you make less than 180 months of contributions, you will have to be satisfied with a settlement (lump-sum payment).

I’m now contributing B432/mo. But I got a letter saying something about if I leave the system, I can collect a onetime settlement. Does anyone know what’s that about?

Note: A quick reference to the Thai SS is given by none other than the [url=https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/progdesc/ssptw/2014-2015/asia/thailand.html][B]US SS[/B][/url].

Edited by 10years

2 hours ago, 10years said:

You are eligible for a pension (monthly payments) if you make at least 180 months of contributions. That’s 15 years. Since SS was launched in 1990 or 1991, anyone retirng before 2005 or 2006 was inegible for a pension. If you make less than 180 months of contributions, you will have to be satisfied with a settlement (lump-sum payment).

I’m now contributing B432/mo. But I got a letter saying something about if I leave the system, I can collect a onetime settlement. Does anyone know what’s that about?

Note: A quick reference to the Thai SS is given by none other than the [url=https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/progdesc/ssptw/2014-2015/asia/thailand.html][B]US SS[/B][/url].

My point was if you have paid in more than 15 years, you can't get the lump sum any more. 

With the devaluation if FIAT money, the lump sum is far better. 

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

My point was if you have paid in more than 15 years, you can't get the lump sum any more. 

With the devaluation if FIAT money, the lump sum is far better. 

The hard part is finding an investment that would exceed the value of the pension if you decide on the lump sum. The other problem is that we don't know the "end date" of our lifetime.

On 5/20/2019 at 4:39 AM, Sheryl said:

Yes once covered by SS for 13 months you can continue the health cover for life. You have to arrange within 6 months of stopping work. Can do at any SS office but some may refuse or wrongly say you can't, necessitating a call to the head office. See post above.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sheryl I had read that the minimum 13 months working period had to start before 60 yrs of age, to be able to confirm the 438 Baht SS, but I believe I also read about a couple of years ago that this age had been moved to 65. Do you know if this is true?  Thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mike123ca said:

The hard part is finding an investment that would exceed the value of the pension if you decide on the lump sum. The other problem is that we don't know the "end date" of our lifetime.

Was simple for me, I bought Bitcoin and Ethereum. 

Dear all,

New to this but been asked this question by a member of staff and at the minute the SSO is not accepting people in to ask within my province.

What happens if someone has been paying for 10 years then heads back to their own country for a couple of years. Can they then come back and claim once they reach retirement age or is that money gone? If they start their job again, can they pick up where they left off and still have old contributions in their name?

I expect it to be gone but someone asked me the question and thought I'd ask on here as most know a lot more than I do.

Thanks for any info in advance

1 hour ago, hammerinthai said:

Dear all,

New to this but been asked this question by a member of staff and at the minute the SSO is not accepting people in to ask within my province.

What happens if someone has been paying for 10 years then heads back to their own country for a couple of years. Can they then come back and claim once they reach retirement age or is that money gone? If they start their job again, can they pick up where they left off and still have old contributions in their name?

I expect it to be gone but someone asked me the question and thought I'd ask on here as most know a lot more than I do.

Thanks for any info in advance

What do you mean, "they are accepting people"? Just go to the office and ask, or phone them.

I believe you have 1 year to apply, after retiring. 

37 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

What do you mean, "they are accepting people"? Just go to the office and ask, or phone them.

I believe you have 1 year to apply, after retiring. 

Sorry, my bad wording. We have tried calling and they say we must go into the office. We head into the office and they say that all queries are to be done by phone. Just can't get any information down here in Surat Thani

5 minutes ago, hammerinthai said:

Sorry, my bad wording. We have tried calling and they say we must go into the office. We head into the office and they say that all queries are to be done by phone. Just can't get any information down here in Surat Thani

These offices are terrible. They give wrong information I think as they are lazy. Try phoning bangkok, or send them an email.

I retired about seven years ago after working for a Thai company. I went to the social security office in Sri Racha, as directed by a company secretary, got a bunch of money back and they then asked me if I wanted to keep my health insurance. I said yes, of course,  and they asked for a bank account that they could deduct the monthly fee from. They informed me that the heath insurance will last up to my death. I used to have an insurance card with my name, a number and my telephone number on it and it expired  a few years ago. I went to the local office to renew it but they told me they no longer issue cards. I was told that, should you need to use the insurance, you give the hospital reception your passport number and you good to go. Fortunately, I haven't had to use the insurance yet. And you are only covered by the hospitals in your province unless it is an emergency. That's what I was told anyway. Good idea to let them know your new passport number when you get one. I went to visit a Thai friend on my mine in a hospital and I asked the reception to check my name and passport number and they said I'm good and covered. 

9 hours ago, khaepmu said:

. I was told that, should you need to use the insurance, you give the hospital reception your passport number and you good to go. Fortunately, I haven't had to use the insurance yet. And you are only covered by the hospitals in your province unless it is an emergency.

That reminds me, I have to go to the office to change my  nationality to Thai . I can't use my former passport any more in Thailand. 

I was told I can only use the one designated hospital. 

Don't know why they don't still have the cards. 

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

That reminds me, I have to go to the office to change my  nationality to Thai . I can't use my former passport any more in Thailand. 

I was told I can only use the one designated hospital. 

Don't know why they don't still have the cards. 

You have to use the designated hospital for medical services, but you are the one designating which hospital you want to use. I think every other year, around yearend, you can choose your hospital from a list. There are no gov't hospitals on the list, only local-type private community hospitals. I couldn't recognize any of them. The list was in Thai, so I had to have someone tell me their locations, figuring I'd choose the one most convenient to public transportation.

But I was able to use a entirely different place for free dental services. You can get free partial or full dentures every five years. I got reimbursed for dental expenses.

The big problem is that I don't have the foggiest idea what services, treatments, tests, exams and medicines are covered. 

They did away with paper cards, as well as the blue form letters mailed monthly. Now they give you a plastic card good for two years and send an SMS to your phone every month, confirming your payment.

Edited by 10years
dental