Sending Chinese traditional medicine

Dave411

Hello,

Does anyone have any info if I can send a parcel of tcm to Thailand?

I understand it is prohibited to send live plants and seeds into the country but the parcel of tcm I want to send is basically an assortment of dried plant leaves and barks. 

Apologies if posted in the wrong section, I don’t know wether to post in the medicine or the farmers section.

Thanks for any advice.

It will depend on exactly what it is, whether listed somewhete as legal hete, how categorized by cudtoms (you cannot legally import any oharmaceutical substance without an FDA permit which you cannot get).... and sorting all that out wirh customs is likely to be a nightmare. Plus you risk having it be suspected of being an illicit substance causing yoy considerable trouble.

Chinatown (Bangkok and other cities) is chock full of Chinese pharmacies selling a huge range of dried plants bark etc for TCM use. Hard to imagine that what you need is not already available here. If you need bulk quantities find out which importer these pharmacies use....somewhere in Thailand there is already wholesale importing of TCM ingtediants.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hello Sheryl,

Thanks for the info.

I’ve given the recipe to the missus in Thailand to try and source it herself in the past but she has been unable to get all the ingredients usually missing a few. 

Has anyone used the medicine shops in Bangkok before and can they be trusted to use legitimate ingredients?

I think the Chinese herb shops are legitimate enough the issue is language. What name they may know something by may differ in various Chinese dialects and in Thai etc. They will likely not recognize scientific name.

BTW there is a very good TCM clinic in St Louis Hospital on Sathorn in Bangkok.

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I think the Chinese herb shops are legitimate enough the issue is language. What name they may know something by may differ in various Chinese dialects and in Thai etc. They will likely not recognize scientific name.

BTW there is a very good TCM clinic in St Louis Hospital on Sathorn in Bangkok.

Thank you for the info, I will give that place a try.

Archived