Pattaya offers helping hand as wastewater from Na Jom Thian pollutes sea

webfact

Pattaya offers helping hand as wastewater from Na Jom Thian pollutes sea

By The Nation

96a3e36473f00f18f5d8d6d85e089d75-sld.jpe

Black wastewater flows on to Chon Buri’s Na Jomtien Beach on Saturday, causing alarm among locals and tourists. Photo credit FB WELOVEPATTAYA

THE PATTAYA Municipality chief has instructed Na Jom Thian municipality to divert its wastewater to the Pattaya central wastewater treatment pond as part of urgent measures to halt wastewater discharge into the sea.

The discharge was reported to have returned to normal now with some parts of the beach accessible and filled with swimmers again despite the city’s warning.

The massive deluge of blackish water, which was later found to be wastewater discharged by the Na Jom Thian municipality, was captured by tourists who released the clip on social media yesterday.

10dd200063997a7599a708e81e0932ba-sld.jpe

Black wastewater flows on to Chon Buri’s Na Jomtien Beach on Saturday, causing alarm among locals and tourists. Photo credit FB WELOVEPATTAYA

The viral clip prompted authorities to find the cause of the incident, which had polluted a popular tourist beach and sea.

A village head, who lives near the sluice gate of the tunnel on Na Jom Thian Soi 8, told Nation TV that up to 90 per cent of the discharge comes from wastewater from household use, restaurants, and hotels in the municipality. If there is no water to dilute the waste, the tunnel becomes choked with garbage – which is flushed out by heavy rains like yesterday.

The tunnel wastewater has no proper treatment before being discharged into the sea, he said.

Pralong Damrongthai, the Pollution Control Department chief, said the incident was the responsibility of local organisations, and the problem was partly due to the lack of a wastewater treatment system.

He suggested that the Pattaya Municipality help deal with the problem, while the department sent its officials to inspect the wastewater in Na Jom Thian to identify its sources.

The Sattahip district has also collected samples from the tunnel on Soi 8 as well as the sea in front of it for further tests water quality.

The Pattaya Municipality has forbidden tourists from swimming in the polluted water. Some tourists remained defiant and plunged into the polluted sea anyway.

The Na Jom Thian municipality has called an urgent meeting to address the pollution issue.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369659

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-05-20

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the 21st Century -totally irresponsible for the Na Jom Thian municipality administration ( if there truly is one) to not have a sewage treatment plant but meanwhile allow all those new condo towers and resorts to be built in the area. The word “Stupid” ( ting-tong)  doesn’t describe their actions. Where is the accountability on this?  ...and a meeting will not produce any results knowing the way things work in this area. 

"The Pattaya Municipality has forbidden tourists from swimming in the polluted water. Some tourists remained defiant and plunged into the polluted sea anyway."

As my dear old mum says, "You can't teach pork."

31 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

"The Pattaya Municipality has forbidden tourists from swimming in the polluted water. Some tourists remained defiant and plunged into the polluted sea anyway."

Remember THESE quality tourists?

aholes.jpg

I wonder what kind of notifications were put into place to notify swimmers of the extreme danger's of swimming in that sea. It's absolutley disgusting the fact that it is promoted as a family friendly resort. Build build build with no forward planning for getting rid of the waste is criminal behaviour!!!

Water treatment is not rocket science. The technology has been around a long time. The solution is to hold the headmen and the local politicians responsible for specific areas, where the treatment facilities have not been built, are poorly maintained, or do not work. There is plenty of money to build and maintain these facilities. It is just a matter of whether or not a community or area can get past the greed of the local authorities, and get them to spend the money, rather than amass a larger fortune. Major consequences have to be put into place. If not by the authorities, than by the local community. Someone needs to be held responsible, shamed in a way that changes their life, and forced by any means necessary to take action. After all, that is part of their job, right?

8 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Pattaya Central Waste Water treatment Pond ? I would really like to see a photo of this facility, if indeed it exists ????

Here is  one of the "treatment" ponds on Soi Wat Boon  Jomtien  no idea where the Pattaya ones are.

P_20190410_103836.thumb.jpg.76f8e89f43a60f137c06bf1a34a1d73a.jpg

The only mystery is why anyone goes or chooses to live there anymore. It was the first place I ever went to in Thailand in 1989. I revisited about 10 years ago leaving after 2 days vowing never to return. It only seems to have worsened.

9 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

The only mystery is why anyone goes or chooses to live there anymore. It was the first place I ever went to in Thailand in 1989. I revisited about 10 years ago leaving after 2 days vowing never to return. It only seems to have worsened.

Facilities outstrip many locations in Thailand. I am perplexed by people who live in rural areas. 

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Facilities outstrip many locations in Thailand. I am perplexed by people who live in rural areas. 

Just a pity one of those facilities isn’t a waste treatment system preventing dangerous pathogens and other filth effectively preventing the safe use of a facility being the beach/sea in what is supposed to be a beach resort . Pretty fundamental I’d have thought...

Archived