Pay traffic fines or your car will be banned!

webfact

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

From where did you learn such rubbish. I got one for 96 kph last week.

From various police men who told me that they'd pulled me over because I was going more than 120 (which was true). And experience.

I believe you got a ticket for going 96 kph. Where was that? What type of road (2 lane or 4 lane)?

Before declaring my statement as "rubbish", maybe try understanding that different people have different experiences. Besides, I have got no reason nor time to post something that wouldn't be true (at least to me). 

19 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

First out of the blocks again...

Even when a welcomed positive action is announced

the first reply is to "knock" it.

What is it with people who have nothing good to say about something that is obviously a good thing.

I suspect they think it's cool on here to knock everything Thai....because when you do the post will probably get plenty of "likes".

Reminds me of children in play school and how they behave.

It's only usually due to previous experience. Announcements not followed up by doing what was said:

1. Thai licence on your phone starts tomorrow (14 January 2019). The police said this was incorrect as there was not yet a law to allow for it:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1078164-thai-driving-licence-on-your-phone-starts-tomorrow/

2. Prawit said the next system checking fingerprints and biodata would be running in six months (14- February 2018). Just field testing it now, 15 months later:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1025048-foreigner-database-to-be-ready-in-six-months/

3. Prayut kicked off the Thai-China railway project, saying the construction bids would be completed in 2018. The construction of the Bangkok - Korat section would be completed and working in 2021 (22 December 2017):

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1016957-construction-bids-for-high-speed-train-project-in-coordination-with-china-to-be-completed-in-2018/

From what I've read, I haven't seen any announcements about the construction contracts, plus the first 3.5km of track that was kicked off in December 2017 has disappeared completely from the news.

4. The government has decided to use 911 as the main emergency phone number nationwide, as it can connect to more state agencies than the existing 191.

A national committee, chaired by the prime minister, will be set up to administer the 911 system. (15 July 2015):

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/840525-thais-will-soon-dial-911-as-universal-emergency-number/#comments

Now we will have more unlicensed drivers and more unregistered and uninsured vehicles and bikes on the road, a great solution to a massive problem,

and of course more unroadworthy vehicles on the road.

Was on the Bangkok / Ayutthaya road the other night, 2 cops on a policebike, flashing red lights on (obviously late getting home). They passed 2 vehicles with no lights.

Did they stop and book the driver, take these unroadworthy vehicles off the road.   NO NO NO, that would mean some work.

Say no more

6 hours ago, webfact said:

the Land Transport Department (LTD) and the Royal Thai Police will test their shared software program to see if it works well. 

They're still trying to incorporate characters from the Line chat app into their programme.

On a more serious note, I know Thais who drive around without licenses, insurance and road tax (or whatever it is called in Thailand). Good luck with catching this lot. And then there are those who are connected, who knows someone who knows someone... the list goes on.

Also, and on its own, this programme and app isn't a bad idea. But, coming from where it's coming from, it looks like another flash-in-pan pipe-dream. It will lack the most important aspect - enforcement - and the whole thing will fall apart within a year, be archived, only to be regurgitated on a slow news day a few years later.

7 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

Deja vu. 3 years ago they proclaim the same....it not works then, so why now?

They will make it work,the Thai government is seeing the amount of money they are missing out on and like every other government they want your money.!!!

Isn't most of this stuff already in place ? Fines certainly follow the car owner and turn up in the mail. I am sure the wife had to pay an outstanding fine before she could sell a car recently. Its always been that outstanding por lor bor and fines had to be paid before a car could be sold. Sound like they are just adding cannot renew if fines are outstanding.  

Non-immigrant (O-A) visa holders: 38 million 

Number of medical visits by them: 3.42 million

Number of long-stay expats seeking medical services: 80,950

Number of unpaid traffic tickets: 5.2 million

No doubt Thai authorities will soon see this connection?  :whistling:

Since implementing the very same thing in Taiwan, it has worked perfectly.  That also includes the parking fees that they still use in some places by hand (no meters yet / go figure). So you always see people in paying their fees/fines right away at 7/11 etc.  And after 2 or 3 months, they also have to pay the interest too so that makes them giddy-up to pay.  Whats more important to Chinese????......$$$.....they hate giving it away and why it works!!!......And why I think it may work in Thailand.  

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

You seriously imagined that would have been thought through. You’re in Thailand!

Just like TM30 it will be up to you to force the previous owner (landlord) to pay up or you will have to pay the fine(s)

1 hour ago, kwak250 said:

To be fair from what i have been told its 100kph if you do 99kph you won't get a ticket at least i havent after always keeping to that speed.

How do you know what speed you are doing? Vehicle speedometers are just indicators and are never calibrated against a master reference. By government to manufacturer agreement original installed speedometers over-read by around 5 kph but this figure is not linear and can vary over the speed range.

On the open road I aim to cruise at 100 kph INDICATED which is at the 12 o'clock position on my speedo yet will surely be exceeding the national limit.

Modifications to the vehicle from the original such as lower or higher profile tyres or larger or smaller diameter wheels can also change the speed indication.

The RTP have, finally, caught on to the use of Traffic Cameras to capture offences but, from what I have seen with speeding 'tickets' the speed 'gate' is set too low and issuing tickets to vehicles for 92 kph is just plain silly when huge numbers of vehicles are rocketing down the overtaking lane at 120 kph plus!

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I know people who have 30 unpaid speeding tickets. They are issuing tickets for going 2 KM per hour over the limit. The national highways have speed limits of 90 kph. That is silly, inane, unenforceable, and impractical. These fines need to be ignored, as the speed limits are unreasonable. I doubt they will create a centralized system. Hope not. 

What the RTP, and especially the lame, incompetent, lazy and useless highway patrol need to be doing, is pulling people over for reckless driving, not issuing tickets for going 92 KPH!

I agree that 92 kph is not the spirit of law enforcement. But if you drove at 89 kph you would be within the law, get no ticket and pay nothing -  and it would make no difference to your journey driving time.

Most speedsters are persistent offenders and the first paragraph of your post suggests that they make up their own laws. Encouraging those to ignore tickets is irresponsible and certainly doesn't get my support.

2 hours ago, kwak250 said:

To be fair from what i have been told its 100kph if you do 99kph you won't get a ticket at least i havent after always keeping to that speed.

On highway 4, the main north south artery, it is 90kph. On the overhead toll road, going to Don Muang, it is 80kph, on a six lane divided road. How is there any sense in that? 

12 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

I agree that 92 kph is not the spirit of law enforcement. But if you drove at 89 kph you would be within the law, get no ticket and pay nothing -  and it would make no difference to your journey driving time.

Most speedsters are persistent offenders and the first paragraph of your post suggests that they make up their own laws. Encouraging those to ignore tickets is irresponsible and certainly doesn't get my support.

On a main highway, I drive at 120kph, and it is a safe speed, under good conditions. I get passed by others all the time. I am not a speedster. 70 miles per hour is not speeding. Laws have to be sensible, in order to encourage people not to break them. Otherwise, some must be ignored. 

2 hours ago, bbz404 said:

Yes all the highways are official speed limit of 90 kph. However, the automatic cameras as well as police speed traps will only register you if you're going more than 120 kph which is a reasonable speed limit. I drive Bangkok-Mae Phim nearly every weekend and get flashed every other month or so and have always paid my fines. Now, getting flashed at 120+ kph will result in a speeding ticket of 500 Baht. You will not get flashed at 92. And 500 Baht is very reasonable compared to speeding fines in other countries.

As for your comment on reckless driving, I would like to add that I rarely see police doing anything besides speeding tickets/checkpoints. They should be much more focused on:

- overloaded trucks and pickups

- using the right lane constantly (because of their stupid dark film that they absolutely need)

- motorbikes coming the wrong way

- big trucks not having any rear lights

- trucks using bright white LED flashes for a turning signal (almost turned blind just last night)

- pickups and cars using unauthorized color lights, most importantly blue rear lights. These are absolutely horrible in estimating the distance of the car in front of you.

These refer mostly to night driving as I prefer to drive at night (speed traps usually not set up for nighttime use, much less traffic).

Not the case. My wife has received tickets for going 92kph in a 90kph zone. That is inane. 

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

On a main highway, I drive at 120kph, and it is a safe speed, under good conditions. I get passed by others all the time. I am not a speedster. 70 miles per hour is not speeding. Laws have to be sensible, in order to encourage people not to break them. Otherwise, some must be ignored. 

You are an irresponsible driver who cares little about the law. There has to be laws like this because at 120kph you are in less of a position to react when other lawbreakers and speedsters do something unexpected as you know for sure you CAN expect!

The conditions include other drivers - those passing you are simply making a bad situation potentially a lot worse!

In Thailand, especially, we are reminded frequently that most deaths on the road are caused by drunk or speeding drivers.

To be an irresponsible driver and a lawbreaker is one thing - for you to come on here and brag about about it shows your contempt to be no better than that of Thai people who I guess you would condemn as "bad" drivers

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Whoever told you it is 100 kph is telling porkies.

Which part of NINE and ZERO do you not understand?

I drive always above 90kph, but mostly below 120kph. Never got a speeding ticket. I believe indeed what other posters say that they fine from 120kph+.

Maybe there are some strict roads with 90kph limit where they do fine. 

3 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

I was being sarcastic 

No problem, I guessed that ????????

I was just adding to your sarcasm (for the benefit of any Thai locals who may have been reading) or some of the regular readers who have an implicit belief in the goodness of the junta.

5 hours ago, justin case said:

thailand should invent some big robots that scan the vehicles and pick them out of traffic straight to the crusher ????

Driver included, would be nice  ????

They will just add the unpaid registration to the invisible driver's license, and the non existent insurance.

And with over 6 million unpaid fines this year already, 

"Frankly my dear,  I don't think they give a damn".

Should make all Thais with vehicles have a compulsory insurance policy to cover outstanding fines.....5.4  million at minimum 400 Baht, thats on a par with the supposedly lost revenue from Foreigners using the hospitals....

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Not the case. My wife has received tickets for going 92kph in a 90kph zone. That is inane. 

Topic of a previous response. 

How accurate are the cameras.?

And if as mentioned,  you have 90 plus 30km before you get a highway / motorway speed infringement. 

That's really giving you a lot of margin. 

Electric speedometers are calibrated by the factory at +4 / -0 and checked at 60kph and 100kph.

But if the wheels are changed or the drive line gears,  this then goes to whack. 

I think it's pretty fair. 

I'm happy with 100 to 110 kph when conditions permit. 

And this is the prescribed signposted top limit. 

Because as sure as ducks quack. 

Someone else will always pass you.

Be it rh side or lh side.

Going faster.

Solution is easy, equipped every police car with a mobile ANPR system connected to the Traffic and Police database and if any outstanding warrants no insurance/tax or unpaid fines then the Police will just arrest the offender. Seize the vehicle, and give the owner a limited time to pay the fine. If the fine still remains outstanding, sell or scrap the vehicle, simple !

Archived