Pay traffic fines or your car will be banned!

webfact

To me, the white line rule is a giant scam and a nice little earner for little effort by those sitting in front of a computer screen and does little or nothing to enforce bad driving and the ignoring of more important issues, such as red light jumping, ignoring double yellow lines, driving against traffic flow, the wearing of helmets and many more. Ah, but that means cops on the streets. I rest my case.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, tracker said:

I see already coming; someone is going to hack the system and transfers tickets to another name. The person who gets them cannot pass their yearly car test and has to prove he/she wasn't there... 

yearly car/truck tests are on vehicles over 7 years old..

2 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

You are an irresponsible driver who cares little about the law. There has to be laws like this because at 120kph you are in less of a position to react when other lawbreakers and speedsters do something unexpected as you know for sure you CAN expect!

The conditions include other drivers - those passing you are simply making a bad situation potentially a lot worse!

In Thailand, especially, we are reminded frequently that most deaths on the road are caused by drunk or speeding drivers.

To be an irresponsible driver and a lawbreaker is one thing - for you to come on here and brag about about it shows your contempt to be no better than that of Thai people who I guess you would condemn as "bad" drivers

There is something very naive and preachy about your reply. I am a bad person and no better than the Thai people who are bad drivers, because I go over 56mph? Huh?

5 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

You are an irresponsible driver who cares little about the law. There has to be laws like this because at 120kph you are in less of a position to react when other lawbreakers and speedsters do something unexpected as you know for sure you CAN expect!

The conditions include other drivers - those passing you are simply making a bad situation potentially a lot worse!

In Thailand, especially, we are reminded frequently that most deaths on the road are caused by drunk or speeding drivers.

To be an irresponsible driver and a lawbreaker is one thing - for you to come on here and brag about about it shows your contempt to be no better than that of Thai people who I guess you would condemn as "bad" drivers

What a load of nonsense, considering 80% of road deaths are drunk, speeding motor cycles riders, not motor vehicles on major road systems. 

Its so amazing, how stict and strong they enforce the law, when it comes to immigration and law enforcement against foreigners.

But with the traffic, they are absolute unable. They should do it same as Germany or Swiss. Then just enforce the law and rules. Done.

Look to the death rates of Thailand, Germany and Swiss.

Confiscate the car and let them watch, when it is put in a car crusher.

All!!!!! of the not only normal people also the rich etc.

So more cars without valid drivers who are duly licensed, registered, or insured....nice. Unless you plan to tow the vehicles and hold them until the fine is paid, or the vehicle value reaches the fines and auction them off, then there is no way to enforce this, as if it was ever going to be enforced anyway. What will likely happen is that police officers will get bigger brown envelope from those who don't want their cars confiscated, call it a win-win for the RTP.

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I know people who have 30 unpaid speeding tickets. They are issuing tickets for going 2 KM per hour over the limit. The national highways have speed limits of 90 kph. That is silly, inane, unenforceable, and impractical. These fines need to be ignored, as the speed limits are unreasonable. I doubt they will create a centralized system. Hope not.  

What the RTP, and especially the lame, incompetent, lazy and useless highway patrol need to be doing, is pulling people over for reckless driving, not issuing tickets for going 92 KPH!

What? I have only ever been issued tickets for going at least 20 or 30 km/h over the limit. Never heard of anyone getting pulled over for doing 92, I believe it's either 110 or above or more often than not, 120 and above. Indeed whenever there is a police traffic stop using mobile cameras, they only pull you over if you're doing 120 or more in a 90 zone. Otherwise they'd literally have to pull over 4 in every 5 motorists!

As you say, issuing a ticket for going 2km/h over the limit (if this does indeed happen) is going way too far and is even more insane than what happens in nanny state Australia, where they at least give you a leeway of about 5-9km/h (on a highway).

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

On the left or the right !    555   LOL

In the middle, since the slow people drive on the rightside of the lanes 555

Once I got stopped by police who clocked me on a lasergun with 122kph.

I almost arrived at my destination in Chainat and he asked me where I wanted to go.

I told him just 500 meter from here and then a left turn into Chainat to my lovely parents in law.

He told me, ok no issues, we won't give you a ticket. Just drive safely.

The cop was also from Chainat 555. Very nice people there.

Even they had proof of me driving 2kph too fast, they didn't give me any ticket.

About 8 months ago I got a ticket in the mail for doing 105 on a 80kph highway.  The great majority of highways I drive on in and around Bangkok have either 80 or 90kph speed limits.   It was o-dark early going to immigration to renew my retirement extension of stay here in Bangkok.   The ticket arrived in the mail about 7 weeks after the incident with a note saying the ticket is due payment no later than 30 days after the incident.  Oh well, can't pay within 30 days if the ticket takes 7 weeks to arrive you mailbox.  Anyway, went to a KrungThai ATM and paid the ticket.

1 hour ago, SuwadeeS said:

Its so amazing, how strict and strong they enforce the law, when it comes to immigration and law enforcement against foreigners.

It's because deep deep down, people in authority in Thailand. are jealous and  despise you,  as you have had everything given to you,  that's why you can stay in Thailand and drink beer all day and not work.

but the truth is,   it's more the other way round.   

oh no i have  said it now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Carry on Thailand.   :whistling:

On 5/20/2019 at 6:26 AM, khwaibah said:

and they will not pay.???? You have to confiscate the vehicle and put it in a car crusher.????

It will just give the traffic stop guys another thing to cash fine for. Have g more cars with no current rego to fine.  Goodbye!!!!!  The original thinking is correct but as usual enforcement is the failing detail.

I have been fined a many times going around 110-120 kph and the post office where i pay the fines say that as long as your not more than 10kph over you wont get a ticket.

They say they have never seen anyone get a ticket for doing 100 in a 90 but you do 101kph and its 500 baht

I have since set cruise control to 100kph on long runs and in over 2 years never got a ticket .

Those claiming 92kph getting a ticket is probably in a 80 zone.

Just my experience as its worked for me .

23 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

How do you know what speed you are doing? Vehicle speedometers are just indicators and are never calibrated against a master reference. By government to manufacturer agreement original installed speedometers over-read by around 5 kph but this figure is not linear and can vary over the speed range.

On the open road I aim to cruise at 100 kph INDICATED which is at the 12 o'clock position on my speedo yet will surely be exceeding the national limit.

Modifications to the vehicle from the original such as lower or higher profile tyres or larger or smaller diameter wheels can also change the speed indication.

The RTP have, finally, caught on to the use of Traffic Cameras to capture offences but, from what I have seen with speeding 'tickets' the speed 'gate' is set too low and issuing tickets to vehicles for 92 kph is just plain silly when huge numbers of vehicles are rocketing down the overtaking lane at 120 kph plus!

You can check on an app you exact speed i know an indicated 104 kph is actually 99kph so its easy to set cruise control to 100kph and haven't had a ticket for 2.5 years

On 5/20/2019 at 9:25 AM, bbz404 said:

Yes all the highways are official speed limit of 90 kph. However, the automatic cameras as well as police speed traps will only register you if you're going more than 120 kph which is a reasonable speed limit. I drive Bangkok-Mae Phim nearly every weekend and get flashed every other month or so and have always paid my fines. Now, getting flashed at 120+ kph will result in a speeding ticket of 500 Baht. You will not get flashed at 92. And 500 Baht is very reasonable compared to speeding fines in other countries.

As for your comment on reckless driving, I would like to add that I rarely see police doing anything besides speeding tickets/checkpoints. They should be much more focused on:

- overloaded trucks and pickups

- using the right lane constantly (because of their stupid dark film that they absolutely need)

- motorbikes coming the wrong way

- big trucks not having any rear lights

- trucks using bright white LED flashes for a turning signal (almost turned blind just last night)

- pickups and cars using unauthorized color lights, most importantly blue rear lights. These are absolutely horrible in estimating the distance of the car in front of you.

These refer mostly to night driving as I prefer to drive at night (speed traps usually not set up for nighttime use, much less traffic).

And is is like other fines? Can you only receive one a day? I drove down to koh Chang from Udon last week and if all those cameras work I reckon I'll be looking at @100 fines lol

On 5/20/2019 at 6:44 AM, mok199 said:

With this new brainfart , Thailand will have even fewer insured drivers on these lawless roads...

Yep

On 5/20/2019 at 6:47 AM, quandow said:

It will just open up a new branch of corruption for agents to provide vehicle tabs at a reduced rate.

Yep

Funny how incompetence opens up a whole new can of worms.  

Archived