Nearly 250 babies infected with syphilis due to mothers

webfact

Nearly 250 babies infected with syphilis due to mothers

By The Nation

a486a2b668f2c95386d77b3429430c8c.jpeg

As many 249 babies were born with syphilis in Thailand this year, according to the Public Health Ministry.

“The babies were affected because their mothers were infected,” the ministry’s permanent secretary, Dr Sukhum Karnchanapimai, said yesterday.

Syphilis, a sexually transmitted disease, can be transmitted via blood too. 

Although curable, this disease can turn fatal if patients fail to recognise their infection and thus lose a chance to get timely treatment.

Sukhum said between January 1 and May 13 this year, 3,080 people of all ages were diagnosed with syphilis. Of them, 40.42 per cent are between 15 and 24 years old. Some 24.48 per cent others are between 25 and 34 years old. 

“The number of syphilis patients is rising. The increase reflects that many teenagers and people in the reproductive age group have engaged in unsafe sex,” he said. 

Sukhum said he has instructed provincial public-health chiefs to closely monitor the situation and to prevent the disease from spreading. 

He urged people to protect themselves by using condoms, refraining from having several sex partners, and regularly undergoing blood tests. 

“Pregnant women, along with their husbands, should take blood tests too,” he said. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369655

thenation_logo.jpg

Wonderful news for this country!....2019 and this 18th century shit just keeps happening....disgraceful that syphilis is still being passed on, utterly disgusting that these people are passing this disease onto their babies.

1 hour ago, justin case said:

let me guess...scare the populace and then FORCE VACCINATE ...

for a man it is pretty obvious he has it, when his D. is falling apart

Er, no Dr Knowlittle...,you can be a carrier without seeing obvious signs or painful symptoms. Thinking like your helps spread the disease.

1 minute ago, AI5AASIA said:

I seem to recall a few years ago that we started needing to take a syphilis test as part of the medical in order to get the work permit renewed. 

maybe too many people failed? ????????

Actually that rate is not particularly high, similar to UK. Do not know how many babies are infected though. Rate also similar in the USA, where about 1,000 babies a year are born with Syphilis (mainly in Alabama?). 

The big question is how many are not diagnosed.

It’s a real shame for the babies to have to suffer through this and the treatment for it from birth. I wish them all a quick recovery.

on the other hand, I’m surprised that the government haven’t decided to blame foreigners for the outbreak of it and say it’s the foreigners bringing it in to the country so that they can either demand from the tourists a syphilis free certificate when they apply for a visa and/or enter the country or charge them at the airport for a syphilis test before the get stamped in.

47 minutes ago, Falcon said:

It’s a real shame for the babies to have to suffer through this and the treatment for it from birth. I wish them all a quick recovery.

on the other hand, I’m surprised that the government haven’t decided to blame foreigners for the outbreak of it and say it’s the foreigners bringing it in to the country so that they can either demand from the tourists a syphilis free certificate when they apply for a visa and/or enter the country or charge them at the airport for a syphilis test before the get stamped in.

My medical cert for my visa did include "3rd stage syphilis" along with elephantitis , but not HIV

5 hours ago, justin case said:

let me guess...scare the populace and then FORCE VACCINATE ...

for a man it is pretty obvious he has it, when his D. is falling apart

There is no vaccination against syphilis.

The primary symptoms (chancre , discharge, burning on urination) may disappear after 10 days or so if left undiagnosed, then lay dormant for a long time but still transmissible.

Chlamydia generally difficult to Dx in males, and often untreated and transmitted even if their partners Dx and treated as men of refuse treatment.

Archived