Pheu Thai’s Sudarat says Democrats are “final infinity stone” to stop the junta

webfact

Pheu Thai’s Sudarat says Democrats are “final infinity stone” to stop the junta 

Jurin-and-Sudarat.jpg

Photo from Sudarat’s Facebook Page.

Pheu Thai party’s election strategy chief Sudarat Keyuraphan is trying to woo the Democrat party to her pro-democracy coalition, describing the Democrat party leader Jurin Laksanavisit as the savior who can stop military dictatorship and restore democracy to Thailand, like the infinity stones in the ‘Avengers Endgame’ film.

“The last of the infinity stones is now in the hands of Democrat party leader Jurin Laksanavisit. I have high hopes that this new party leader will choose the democratic path,” wrote Sudarat in her Facebook post today.

She said that the 3.9 million votes cast in support of Democrat candidates represent the voice of the people who don’t want to see General Prayut Chan-o-cha return as prime minister, adding that she believes the Democrat party, the oldest party in Thailand and under the new leader, would be able to restore the party’s glory and become the pillar of democratic rule.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pheu-thais-sudarat-says-democrats-are-final-infinity-stone-to-stop-the-junta/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-05-20

As if the Democratic party gives a toss about the wishes of those who voted for them.

Many of their previous supporters gave up on them at this election and if they side with the junta this time, their support, next time, will be will be limited to just the donkey votes.

They stated, before the election, 'we will not join the Junta'  to do so now will cats them as hypocritical opportunists bought for a couple of jobs. Democrats?  a change of name should be on the cards if they jump into bed with the other Cobras.

And I suggest there's a case to say if the dems do align with the pro junta grouping then the dems just add one more nail to their coffin.

On the other hand I laugh at any mention by sudarat of democracy, she has no interest in real democracy just use the word as needed to keep herself and her cronies at the trough. When in her long past political life did she ever say anything substantive / specific and valuable about how to build and maintain real democracy?

On the other hand I hope they all end up taking a path that helps the FF party to get into a strong position. 

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

They stated, before the election, 'we will not join the Junta'  to do so now will cats them as hypocritical opportunists bought for a couple of jobs. Democrats?  a change of name should be on the cards if they jump into bed with the other Cobras.

Reality is that the dems thru their own policies, procrastination and actions have landed in a silly position and now they have pretty much nowhere to go which builds and emphasises their image as a party to lead the country. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The last of the infinity stones is now in the hands of Democrat party leader Jurin Laksanavisit. I have high hopes that this new party leader will choose the democratic path,” wrote Sudarat in her Facebook post today.

PT has in the past, while in power, shown authoritarian anti democratic behaviour. Using its street thug udd stormtroopers to stifle opposition voices. 

The military backed parties are of course no better and equally should not be backed. 

Neither option would be taken by a party that truly believes in the democratic process or good governance. 

As far as I can see it’s a choice between the frying pan and the fire. Whatever the democrats decide, they are damned. 

Though as others have pointed out, they will probably ally themselves to the military backed party just to have some form of power. 

Sad days indeed. 

Thailand's future ? Not.

26 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

PT has in the past, while in power, shown authoritarian anti democratic behaviour. Using its street thug udd stormtroopers to stifle opposition voices. 

True, but criminals are easier to negotiate and debate with than those who believe they have divine authority.  Give a criminal over delusional type who thinks he serves the heavens and he can do no wrong.  Cha cha is a delusional, authoritative version of Elmer Fudd.  Just not as smart. 

Dem previous leader Banyat lost to Thaksin badly because of his closeness to the establishment. Ahbisit took over the reign and was badly defeated by Yingluck because of his association with the military. The party was again punished by their supporters and lost seats to FFP because they will not take a firm stance against the establishment. Seem a no-brainer for Jurin to make a decision. Even Ahbisit and Chuan cautioned him on helping Prayut gained an advantage. Sudarat is right to lay out the dire warning for Jurin and also for the party's future.   

36 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

The military backed parties are of course no better and equally should not be backed. 

Neither option would be taken by a party that truly believes in the democratic process or good governance. 

As far as I can see it’s a choice between the frying pan and the fire. Whatever the democrats decide, they are damned. 

Though as others have pointed out, they will probably ally themselves to the military backed party just to have some form of power. 

Sad days indeed. 

I don't know what is worse. Incumbent party intimidation but subject themselves to the electorate to judge them or a party that formed for the sole purpose to prolong military rule with the help of laws in order to gain election advantages and a heavy dose of intervention by lackey agencies. Clear option who is more democratic and which one is the frying pan and fire. Really not really a honest comparison. Give democratic option back and allow the electorate to decide with a free and fair election. That will be happy days again. 

5 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I don't know what is worse. Incumbent party intimidation but subject themselves to the electorate to judge them or a party that formed for the sole purpose to prolong military rule with the help of laws in order to gain election advantages and a heavy dose of intervention by lackey agencies. Clear option who is more democratic and which one is the frying pan and fire. Really not really a honest comparison. Give democratic option back and allow the electorate to decide with a free and fair election. That will be happy days again. 

I take your point but I do not share your more optimistic view of PT,

nothing they have ever done while in power leads me to view them as a party that believes in good governance. 

I really do not trust them or their puppet master. 

9 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I take your point but I do not share your more optimistic view of PT,

nothing they have ever done while in power leads me to view them as a party that believes in good governance. 

I really do not trust them or their puppet master. 

Maybe you allowed yourself to be prejudiced by historical events. PT has indicated that they will not fight for the PM position and allow FFP to take the lead in forming the government although they won the most seats. You do need to adjust your trust meter and only see the military as the non trust worthy entity and should never allowed back into the political equation. 

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

Maybe you allowed yourself to be prejudiced by historical events. PT has indicated that they will not fight for the PM position and allow FFP to take the lead in forming the government although they won the most seats. You do need to adjust your trust meter and only see the military as the non trust worthy entity and should never allowed back into the political equation. 

As I have said I do not trust PT and certainly do not believe any promises they make. Especially after their failure to pay the farmers the promised money for their rice. 

Never said i trust the military backed parties either. 

Just to reiterate though, I don’t. 

38 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Dem previous leader Banyat lost to Thaksin badly because of his closeness to the establishment. Ahbisit took over the reign and was badly defeated by Yingluck because of his association with the military.

I generally tend to side with you in these threads. However I have to call out your disingenousness here. The vast majority of Thais vote in line with their community to elect the candidate favoured by the local strongman. These factions then coalesce to make regional factions which in turn form the national parties. To suggest that a significant number of Thais are considering "closeness to the establishment" is not an accurate picture.

I suppose you could argue that some regional factions veered away from the Democrats due to their relationship with the military.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

And I suggest there's a case to say if the dems do align with the pro junta grouping then the dems just add one more nail to their coffin.

On the other hand I laugh at any mention by sudarat of democracy, she has no interest in real democracy just use the word as needed to keep herself and her cronies at the trough. When in her long past political life did she ever say anything substantive / specific and valuable about how to build and maintain real democracy?

On the other hand I hope they all end up taking a path that helps the FF party to get into a strong position. 

Say how many 'other hands' have you got...couldn't resist that, just a joke. As many here said before the junta will retain power and I don't see it any other way. All this chatter about going this or that way means zero. It is a great pity that more of the masses don't stand up for and behind the FF party because imho these are only real way out for Thai politics. Unfortunately that won't happen...sad

4 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Say how many 'other hands' have you got...couldn't resist that, just a joke. As many here said before the junta will retain power and I don't see it any other way. All this chatter about going this or that way means zero. It is a great pity that more of the masses don't stand up for and behind the FF party because imho these are only real way out for Thai politics. Unfortunately that won't happen...sad

Nice post, sorry but I'm not really into 4 hands stuff, just a joke...

Agree your comments about FFF, perhaps if they don't get into a government it would give them many opportunities to challenge the ruling coalition and at the same time build their own credibility for the future. 

There is of course a fairly strong possibility that any multi-party (read numerous party) coalition won't last that long because trying to please 6 or 8 or more coalition members is a very tall order, plus the reality is that in any coalition there will be at least several parties who are only there for a chance at the trough and will be very vocal if they don't get their turn. 

47 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Nice post, sorry but I'm not really into 4 hands stuff, just a joke...

Agree your comments about FFF, perhaps if they don't get into a government it would give them many opportunities to challenge the ruling coalition and at the same time build their own credibility for the future. 

There is of course a fairly strong possibility that any multi-party (read numerous party) coalition won't last that long because trying to please 6 or 8 or more coalition members is a very tall order, plus the reality is that in any coalition there will be at least several parties who are only there for a chance at the trough and will be very vocal if they don't get their turn. 

I add more in italiques:

Agree your comments about FFF, perhaps if they don't get into a government it would give them many opportunities to challenge the ruling coalition and at the same time build their own credibility for the future, and make it very clear / prove one way or the other whether Khun Thanathorn and his team are aligned somehow to the paymaster.

Considering what awaits the govt in the form of the "senate" (deliberate quote marks), the reluctance is understandable. What sane person wants to face that nightmare, trough or no trough.

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

As I have said I do not trust PT and certainly do not believe any promises they make. Especially after their failure to pay the farmers the promised money for their rice. 

Well said!

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I think you know who eventually prevented PT from paying the rice farmers. Courtesy of the constitutional court, used as a tool to undermine the care taker, democratically  elected government, one of the preconditions  for Prayuth's coup.

Whether or not you trust PT is inconsequential, they are the biggest party, and the democrats campaigned not to put Prayuth into Pm office, so the democrats need to do what they promised.

the next government needs to undo some of the election laws, and ensure free and fair elections within a year of taking office. 

23 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

I think you know who eventually prevented PT from paying the rice farmers. Courtesy of the constitutional court, used as a tool to undermine the care taker, democratically  elected government, one of the preconditions  for Prayuth's coup.

Whether or not you trust PT is inconsequential, they are the biggest party, and the democrats campaigned not to put Prayuth into Pm office, so the democrats need to do what they promised.

the next government needs to undo some of the election laws, and ensure free and fair elections within a year of taking office. 

The Democrats are under no obligation to support PT and to do so would be an equal betrayal of their supporters.

Hence my point, that are in an unwinnable position and whatever they do it will be the wrong decision.

Sadly I think as many do, they will succumb to temptation and support the military backed party.

Sad days indeed.

The Democrats are under no obligation to support PT and to do so would be an equal betrayal of their supporters.

Hence my point, that are in an unwinnable position and whatever they do it will be the wrong decision.

Sadly I think as many do, they will succumb to temptation and support the military backed party.

Sad days indeed.

I am not suggesting they should support PT. They should support the anti junta coalition, of which PT happens to be the biggest party.

They have two choices, they either remain in opposition, or they join the anti junta coalition. Joining the pro junta coalition is something they promised their voters not to do.

If they remain in opposition, the pro junta coalition is toast

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

I am not suggesting they should support PT. They should support the anti junta coalition, of which PT happens to be the biggest party.

They have two choices, they either remain in opposition, or they join the anti junta coalition. Joining the pro junta coalition is something they promised their voters not to do.

If they remain in opposition, the pro junta coalition is toast

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

I do not ascribe to the theory, that the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

The democrats should support neither PT or the military party, nor any coalition formed by one or the other, if they truly want to see good governance.

However, no doubt they will do what benefits themselves.

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I do not ascribe to the theory, that the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

The democrats should support neither PT or the military party, nor any coalition formed by one or the other, if they truly want to see good governance.

However, no doubt they will do what benefits themselves.

We will have to wait and see, if they do support Prayuth, next time they might be one of those 11 micro parties that were awarded a seat, and magically all 11 support Prayuth, as if it was planned...….

If the democrats are what they stand for, they support pt and ffp. Time to stop this charade. 

Archived