Miracle win offers Australian PM authority and government stability

webfact

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The reality is Australians voted for their hip pocket. Self-interest. Short-sighted.

Very few people are going to vote against their own self-interest; generally speaking, they would be idiotic to do so.

Political parties know that, which is why they spend their entire time appealing to people's self-interest, because it is the most obvious motivator for everyone.

That is, apart from that select crew of self-appointed higher beings who imagine themselves to be special instruments of the Divine Will and have shed such earthly attachments as self-interest.

4 hours ago, RickBradford said:

Very few people are going to vote against their own self-interest; generally speaking, they would be idiotic to do so.

Political parties know that, which is why they spend their entire time appealing to people's self-interest, because it is the most obvious motivator for everyone.

That is, apart from that select crew of self-appointed higher beings who imagine themselves to be special instruments of the Divine Will and have shed such earthly attachments as self-interest.

Labor was not appealing to self-interest. It was trying to introduce reforms to significant distortions in the tax system, then apply the cost savings to schools and hospitals. It tried to do too much.

Your descent into sarcasm is noted. IMHO Australians will find they have done themselves a massive disservice by returning a party that got into bed with bigots, sucked up to a businessman of dubious probity, is riven with division, and produced no policy worth more than a glass of warm spit during the campaign.

16 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

This will affect the AUD/THB exchange for a lot of expats.

No worries, the franking credits of my investments should adequately correct the deficit.

Chris Bowen: "I believe people are entitled to use whatever benefits, claims and entitlements, if you like, that are available to them."

As we all know, he back-flipped!

And then his megalomania got the better of him when reading Paul Keating's proverb: "You can't change the country without possessing the mad gene... those who have it get the big changes made."

He may have work on his approach of things more thoughtful...

14 hours ago, moontang said:

Was this a referendum on Trump?  The Australian markets soared yesterday.  People with money are more conservative, even the clinton loving internet billionaires....get used to it.  He's buddies with Trump, too..might be kind of handy if Mohamed comes calling.

Please we have had Muslims in Australia since the first fleet invasion

Who do think we the cameleers for the inland explorers?

Infact one of the first mosques was not far from modern day Alice Springs

6 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Please we have had Muslims in Australia since the first fleet invasion

Who do think we the cameleers for the inland explorers?

Infact one of the first mosques was not far from modern day Alice Springs

Afghan indeed but a different mob to what you have there now. Maybe the election should have focused on that aspect more and less on next months tax returns. Climate change is the least of real Australia,s concerns .

3 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Afghan indeed but a different mob to what you have there now. Maybe the election should have focused on that aspect more and less on next months tax returns. Climate change is the least of real Australia,s concerns .

Climate change, have you spoken to the farmers who are suffering, the towns no longer viable because of longest drought in recorded history in many areas?

OOpsm forgot they live outside of the capitals

Do they still have Arbor day in Aus where all the schools plant trees.

I also saw some great stuff with the Landcare groups in agriculture.

Even mining now,you won't see any plastic water bottles.

So it's not if nothing is happening.

2 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Do they still have Arbor day in Aus where all the schools plant trees.

I also saw some great stuff with the Landcare groups in agriculture.

Even mining now,you won't see any plastic water bottles.

So it's not if nothing is happening.

Arbor day>> no nothing on that front for more than a decade

Landcare Groups either defunded or under funded since Abbott

Murray Darling Basin authority an abject failure

Adani given the go ahead despite poor water management and possible pollution into the Artesian Basin

11 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Arbor day>> no nothing on that front for more than a decade

Landcare Groups either defunded or under funded since Abbott

Murray Darling Basin authority an abject failure

Adani given the go ahead despite poor water management and possible pollution into the Artesian Basin

You do speak rubbish Arbour day goes on, try google, Planet Ark, land care groups everywhere, eg Clean up Australia, Adani still has state approvals to meet, operation MDB is to be revised after Barnaby hacked it.

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

Climate change, have you spoken to the farmers who are suffering, the towns no longer viable because of longest drought in recorded history in many areas?

OOpsm forgot they live outside of the capitals

How long is recorded history? When we discover, after more research, the existence of droughts and floods from an earlier period, that were much worse than the recent droughts and floods in Australia, and which occurred during a period with lower CO2 levels than present, can we then expect our Liberal Government to reduce its emphasis on reducing CO2 emissions?

Try reading the following research article that goes back a thousand years into the palaeo record of our climate history to reveal a highly variable long-term pattern.
https://www.theland.com.au/story/5313944/deep-climate-cycles-reveal-australias-real-drought-risk/

“In one century in the eleven-hundreds, 70 per cent of the years are classified as drought, including a straight run of 39 drought years in a row,” said Mr Kiem, a senior lecturer and researcher on climate impacts to Australia’s long term climate cycles.

“In the fifteen-hundreds, there was a really wet period with no drought for the best part of 100 years.
“So we see the Millennium drought is not unprecedented, it’s well within range. We’ve had droughts like that before, in fact we’ve had a lot worse and will again. And now there’s climate change on top of that.”

14 hours ago, RickBradford said:

Bill Shorten : "This election is all about climate change."

Guardian Australia: The climate change election. Where do the parties stand on the environment?

Greens Senator Richard di Natale: This is the climate change election.

Greenpeace Australia : "This will be a climate change election" 

https://www.greenpeace.org.au/news/this-will-be-a-climate-election/

ABC: Election 2019: What happened to the climate change vote we heard about?

If you want to remain in denial about the realities of this election, so much the better.

I can’t see how you reach that conclusion. The guys you quote were adamant that the election was all about climate change and they lost. To me that confirms they got it wrong they should have focused on other things and they may have won.

Installing fear in the electorate is a basic political doctrine. If you elect us then we will protect you. Climate change is the latest bogeyman that governments use to install fear into he population to justify their right to govern. Previously it was the Muslims with weapons of mass destruction, nukes, and terrorism. Before that it was the Cold War and scourge of communism. Now it’s global warming.

Climate change annually is a US$1.5 trillion industry globally. That’s a huge amount of money spent every year with no discernible results. In fact they are spending all that money and the governments are telling us that it’s getting worse. Is that ok, where is the accountability? When a climate change scientist sticks his hand out for his annual bonus does he have to prove he’s reduced climate change. Nope.

Yes I believe that there is a climate change issue, but how big of an issue is it really, I don’t know, who really does. Don’t you think with a US1.5 trillion business at stake there is a chance that some of the data is could be just a teeny weenie little bit corrupt. My opinion is that climate change has evolved into a one sided debate based on data that is riddled with confirmation bias. Anyone that challenges its existence or severity is crushed by the weight of a US$1.5 trillion feeding trough.

Consider this scenario. You are a newly minted climate scientist looking for $10 million in funding. You run the data and crunch the numbers and the result is that hey the problem is no where near as bad as everyone says. What do you do

? will that analysis get you your $10 million or do you stand a better chance by going back and running data and crunching numbers in a way to change the result so you can produce a report that says its way worse than everybody says. We are doomed and need more money and more action now ( starting with my $10m).

If he produces the first report then he won’t get the $10m and to boot he won’t have a career as he would be unemployable for claiming such a thing. The reality is he us incentivized to get on the bandwagon and indulge in confirmation bias if he wants to have a career or a life. That’s reality.

Personally I’d rather see them spent $1.5 trillion on cleaning up trash and toxic waste from the planet and cleaning the oceans of plastic and if they have any left over then put it to conquering cancer, aids, and debilitating disease. After we’ve accomplished that then look at climate change.

5 minutes ago, AJBangkok said:

Personally I’d rather see them spent $1.5 trillion on cleaning up trash and toxic waste from the planet and cleaning the oceans of plastic and if they have any left over then put it to conquering cancer, aids, and debilitating disease. After we’ve accomplished that then look at climate change.

Personally I'd rather see them stop trying to populate Mars and re-direct the funds to clean-up mother Earth.

22 minutes ago, AJBangkok said:

I can’t see how you reach that conclusion. The guys you quote were adamant that the election was all about climate change and they lost. To me that confirms they got it wrong they should have focused on other things and they may have won.

That is my conclusion.

To restate: announcing big plans to "fix the climate crisis" is electoral suicide anywhere in western-style democracies.

12 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

That is my conclusion.

To restate: announcing big plans to "fix the climate crisis" is electoral suicide anywhere in western-style democracies.

As is tax reform which has never won anyone an election. Not to mention arrogance and disrespect to voters.

E.G., Chris Bowen during election campaign: "Don’t vote for us if you don’t like our policies" - well, it's evident that I and many other voters took his advice.

4 minutes ago, CapraIbex said:

As is tax reform which has never won anyone an election. Not to mention arrogance and disrespect to voters.

E.G., Chris Bowen during election campaign: "Don’t vote for us if you don’t like our policies" - well, it's evident that I and many other voters took his advice.

Of course you did - you voted with your hip pocket along with all the other tax bludgers

11 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Of course you did - you voted with your hip pocket along with all the other tax bludgers

Bowen thought he could emulate Keating, and Shorten's poor attempt imitating Withlam speech failed miserably.

Sore losers all around - LOL.

I used to think Bowen looked like a reasonable guy - at least he looked like an intelligent member of the human species rather than a cloth-capped unionist. But he's dropped somewhat in my estimation. Can't be Treasurer unless you can get your figures at least internally consistent, whatever their relationship to the real world.

Next thing, he'll be appointed to the Thai EC!

1 minute ago, CapraIbex said:

Bowen thought he could emulate Keating, and Shorten's poor attempt imitating Withlam speech failed miserably.

Again - Bowen thought he could emulate Hewson. The 2019 ALP tax policy is Bowen's version of Hewson's Fightback. Like Hewson's in 1993, Bowen's policy was torched by the voters.  Have you forgotten the sequel? The principles of Fightback were implemented by Howard a few short years later.  Winning parties often resurrect previous policies and just as often cherry-pick ideas the Opposition had put forward. Howard was one of the worst prime ministers of the last 50 years through his undermining of the public finances through handouts to special interest groups to shore up their vote; his one good policy was introducing a GST which had been rejected by the voters at an election only a few years previously. 

It's going to be an interesting year. There's a groundswell of opinion - even Howard is in favour - of increasing Newstart (aka. "the dole"), so expect to hear plenty about "dole bludgers".  There are already rumours that there'll be a crackdown on tax bludgers to pay for it, most likely via some limitation on the number of properties that can be negatively geared.

Mind you the most recent form of tax bludging was supported by both major parties - taxpayer-funded maternity leave. Apparently it's OK to get public funding for a lifestyle choice if that choice is getting pregnant. I wish the government would have funded six months off for me every few years for me to indulge my lifestyle choices

1 minute ago, ThaiBunny said:

I wish the government would have funded six months off for me every few years for me to indulge my lifestyle choices

I don't think the Australian government would be too happy about supporting visits to pole dancers and girl bars in Nana Plaza. Although come to think of it, we do have the Member for Manila in Parliament.

29 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Let's see, last fin year-end tax credits $22,654.22

Conservatively projected credits for next fin year - very close to $30K (hopefully more!).
Am I worried about the exchange rates?

42 minutes ago, CapraIbex said:

Conservatively projected credits for next fin year - very close to $30K (hopefully more!).

Of course not - it's free money for you. All you're doing is ensuring that Australian companies pay a lesser rate of tax than they should by claiming excess franking credits (note the term - credits) as a cash refund

7 hours ago, CapraIbex said:

Makes me wonder why your here,maybe your not!

Archived