BANGKOK 24 June 2019 19:45
jimmyyy

How to get PEA to upgrade my Amp Service

I am running out of power, we have too much running all the time.  Was wondering is it possible to ask PEA to upgrade our electrical service?  I know I will need to purchase some things, but is it possible?  Thanks

Thanks i will head down there tomorrow and see what needs to be done

You will probably help things proceed by first trying to determine how much power you need.  Add up the watts for all stuff that you are likely to have running at the same time.  Fridge, aircon(s), water pump, TV, water heater(s), kettle, oven, lights.  If you don't know the watt draw then just list the items here and someone can estimate.  You didn't mention how you have determined that you are "running out of power".  Does the voltage drop?  Does a fuse blow or a breaker trip?  As mentioned in another thread, you may well need a meter upgrade but that won't give you more power if the supply (PEA) doesn't provide it.  So again, estimate your realistic max demand and try to determine what happens to the voltage when you are at that level.  The PEA may need to do some upgrading to provide it.

We run the following:

Inside the house

Oven electric

2 refrigerators

1 deep freezer

3 Air conditioners

2 PC

2 Smart TV

Router

3 or 4 fans

Outside

My welder

Air Compressor

Electric power tools (depending on what i am working on)

Washing machine

Posted (edited)

What will happen is i will continue to pop breakers until i turn stuff off. Lights get dim, air con starts powering down, fans slow speed, computer starts going off.

Edited by jimmyyy

1 minute ago, jimmyyy said:

What will happen is i will continue to pop breakers until i turn stuff off. 

Ah ha.  Time to take a photo of your CU/distribution box/whatever with the cover off.  And tell which breaker(s) trips.  You definitely need a larger meter and possibly a re-do of your CU, breakers, and wires.  I'm sure Crossy will jump in after you post for that.

If i fire up the welder then what ever circuit it is connected to is going to pop, just normal operations, if the wife turns on the oven and its starts pulling juice it gets dark.  If my compressor is cycling on and off, i typically get the dimming efffect.

My electric bill typically runs between 7 and 10k a month

so according to my PEA bin we consumed 1579 units last month