How to get PEA to upgrade my Amp Service

jimmyyy

19 hours ago, jimmyyy said:

OK that makes since, i will ask for a 15/45 upgrade from PEA, and get an electrican out here to inspect the box and make sure the wiring is good for the upgrade.  Thanks!

You can get a breaker box with more breakers in it to spread the load on circuits out better.  Also it is best to get one with a Safe-T-Cut in it.  Breakers are meant to protect wiring, not you.  Safe-T-Cut protects you.  

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, oldmanstan said:

Was just more curious how normal it is for a meter to misread/spin. 

Meters are incredibly reliable, but if it's really 20 odd years old then a replacement (with a 15/45) should be on the cards. There's likely a manufacturing date on the meter somewhere.

If you have a known load of a few kW (water heater?) you could do a quick check. With everything else off read the meter, run the heater for say 15 minutes, read the meter again and do the sums ????

10 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Meters are incredibly reliable, but if it's really 20 odd years old then a replacement (with a 15/45) should be on the cards. There's likely a manufacturing date on the meter somewhere.

If you have a known load of a few kW (water heater?) you could do a quick check. With everything else off read the meter, run the heater for say 15 minutes, read the meter again and do the sums ????

Both good ideas.  

One last one if I can sneak it in, earlier to OP you mention 'An average load of 3.5kW is a lot for a 5/15 supply'. - What average load should one look at before the switch from 5/15 to 15/45 is necessary?  Assuming I'm at 800units (and that I understand the math) that's about 1kwh average.

2 minutes ago, oldmanstan said:

Both good ideas.  

One last one if I can sneak it in, earlier to OP you mention 'An average load of 3.5kW is a lot for a 5/15 supply'. - What average load should one look at before the switch from 5/15 to 15/45 is necessary?  Assuming I'm at 800units (and that I understand the math) that's about 1kwh average.

It's not so much the average but what is happening at peak times.  Your 5/15 is calibrated at 5 amps.  You are most likely well above that for hours at a time.  The question is:  Do you want your energy measured with something calibrated for 5 amps or 15 amps?

ye gotta size up stuff based upon a maximum load (with a margin of course) no matter if yer supply doesn't 'see' that alla the time...simple good practice...saving a few pennies here and there with the infrastructure is the road to ruin, despair and disaster...

and then tutsi emerges from the smoke and ruin like Capt. Willard from the slaughter...Kurtz was designed for disaster...

Thought i would drop by the post and give my helpful amigos an update.  So we went down to PEA with village chief in tow (he likes to feel like he is helping).  Yesterday PEA survey team came out and did some testing and yes we are getting at new box.  What size is still a bit unclear.  He gave me the number of a certified electrical company who was close by and they came out almost immediately.  So here is the action plan.

1.  Larger wires from pole to house

2.  New Electric panel with larger breakers and more breakers. 

3.  Running new power to the out building to support my shop.

4.  Power to bathroom including GFCI plugs. 

5. New larger insulated wires going to upstairs air conditioners. 

6.  New grounding rod punched into the ground. 

I want to thank everyone for the assistance in getting me here. 

Next up, water treatment, tanks and pumps.

I forgot to add, we are replacing all exterior lighting over my massive carport with outdoor kit and installing some nifty looking fans over my bar.  Well kind of a bar, OK OK OK its a table with a blue ice cooler and a blue tooth speaker.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2019 at 8:02 AM, jimmyyy said:

Thought i would drop by the post and give my helpful amigos an update.  So we went down to PEA with village chief in tow (he likes to feel like he is helping).  Yesterday PEA survey team came out and did some testing and yes we are getting at new box.  What size is still a bit unclear.  He gave me the number of a certified electrical company who was close by and they came out almost immediately.  So here is the action plan.

1.  Larger wires from pole to house

2.  New Electric panel with larger breakers and more breakers. 

3.  Running new power to the out building to support my shop.

4.  Power to bathroom including GFCI plugs. 

5. New larger insulated wires going to upstairs air conditioners. 

6.  New grounding rod punched into the ground. 

I want to thank everyone for the assistance in getting me here. 

Next up, water treatment, tanks and pumps.

Hi mate, well done on moving forward with this. I am a sparkie, you should probably have some d curve breakers installed in your work shop. I'd say on the compresser and a dedicated welding outlet. 

Ensure your new cables have an earth core with them. 

Think about whether you want rcbos rather than standard CB's Or an overall rcd. 

If you have a choice use a well known international brand of whatever circuit protection you are installing. I.e. Siemens, ABB, Shnieder. Insist on this and not some cheap rubbish. 

If you can get a set of test results from your contractor, with earth loop, continuity readings, trip times you will not only being doing well but you will sleep better at night. 

PM for advice if needed

Shaemus

Archived