Yellow book requirements

9 minutes ago, Mukdahanman said:

For Mukdahan I had to go to the British Embassy for a passport and visa translation, after that - plain sailing.  Good luck

I wasn't aware the British embassy translated documents into Thai?

I thought the MFA was the only source of translated documents accepted by Thai government offices?

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

I thought the MFA was the only source of translated documents accepted by Thai government offices?

You’re totally correct, forgive me. Thinking harder about it, (I have been drinking heavily) I had to get a certified copy of my passport from the embassy, then take it elsewhere for a certified translation- what a fun day out that was ????

• Thanks 1

That is my experience also, a certified copy of passport is obtained from your Embassy and then this copy is translated at MFA, at least that’s what I was told to do, and did.
  • Like 1

Amphur told me I had to be resident for 12 months and also be married. Now both apply I asked again to be told to go to British Embassy and MFA (again because we went for one for marriage) for another copy of my passport and also of birth certificate this time. I've given up.

Edited by The Fugitive

The OP's requirements sound completely normal to me. It cost me nearly 40,000 baht, including a trip abroad, in order to get the proper certifications for all of my documents. They included not only both my passports, but a certified, translated copy of an original birth certificate and those of my parents as well.

Sounds like the OP is getting off easy actually. If I were him, I'd be jumping for joy he lives in an area with such an accomodating and easy going official.

Just now, The Fugitive said:

Amphur told me I had to be resident for 12 months and also be married. Now both apply I asked again to be told to go to British Embassy (again because we went for one for marriage) for another legalised copy of my passport and also of birth certificate this time. I've given up.

Both statements are incorrect.

It's not unusual for various amphurs to give incorrect information, sometimes based on ignorance, sometimes because they can't be arsed to do their job.

See my post here regarding this:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096809-thai-id-card-for-aliens-do-you-have-one/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-14075682

The OP's requirements sound completely normal to me. It cost me nearly 40,000 baht, including a trip abroad, in order to get the proper certifications for all of my documents. They included not only both my passports, but a certified, translated copy of an original birth certificate and those of my parents as well.

Sounds like the OP is getting off easy actually. If I were him, I'd be jumping for joy he lives in an area with such an accomodating and easy going official.

So far obtaining the yellow house book ranges from Free to 40,000 baht !!

Any advance on this ??
  • Like 2

Yeah I paid for all that, but the yellow book at the amphur was ‘free’. 

You make a good point though. Overnight bus to Bangkok (12 hours + 2 people - and back) Embassy fees plus agent fees to handle the translation, so yup, pretty expensive when you add it all up.

(which I’d rather not) 

So not free at all really

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, elcaro said:

So what do I ask for? Tabien Bahn Si Luang ทะเบียนบ้านสีเหลือง 

My wife has never heard of it

Most Thais would be unaware of it unless they have some interaction with foreigners asking about it, as Thais have absolutely no need for one.

Yeah I paid for all that, but the yellow book at the amphur was ‘free’. 
You make a good point though. Overnight bus to Bangkok (12 hours + 2 people - and back) Embassy fees plus agent fees to handle the translation, so yup, pretty expensive when you add it all up.
(which I’d rather not) 
So not free at all really

Yup, I drove ( hour each way ) to the Embassy, parking was cheap ( 30 baht ? ) .
Embassy was 1050 baht I think.
MFA is on the way so stopped there , around 450 baht I think, with postage.
All in all not too bad, but then again I didn’t even get the yellow book !!

This was nearly 2 years ago.

OP, your original post mentions getting a Certificate of Residence from the local Ampher, Immigration does COR.  If you need another COR get it from immigration.

Otherwise the passport, translation,certified for the yellow book is what is usually required.

They basically want an official translation of your name into Thai, In pattaya they accept your marrige document because they already have an MFA translation of your name, Ask your local ampher as it may save a trip to Banngkok.

Edited by Peterw42

16 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yup, I drove ( hour each way ) to the Embassy, parking was cheap ( 30 baht ? ) .
Embassy was 1050 baht I think.
MFA is on the way so stopped there , around 450 baht I think, with postage.
All in all not too bad, but then again I didn’t even get the yellow book !!

This was nearly 2 years ago.

How come you didn’t get the yellow book after all that arse ache?

i only got mine so I could officially own my car and bike, and get that pink ID card - which appears to have no use whatsoever ????

Edited by Mukdahanman

How come you didn’t get the yellow book after all that arse ache?
i only got mine so I could officially own my car and bike, and get that pink ID card - which appears to have no use whatsoever [emoji38]

Well, I’ve done this rant on every yellow book thread for the last two years so shouldn’t do it again ........but........ here goes.

Went to the Amphur to enquire about yellow book and was told by some lady, after she checked with her boss, that only needed passport certified copy and translation.
Went to the Embassy, called in at MFA for translation, here the receptionist asked me if I wanted birth certificate translated also, this was news to me so gf called the Amphur and the lady, after checking with her boss ????, said yes !!

Left passport copy and copy of birth certificate, luckily I had one in my folder, with MFA to post to home.
When post arrived back to Amphur, lady looked at docs and said “ okay, just need to have an interview with my boss now “.
The “ boss “ talked to my gf , she looked quite embarrassed with his questions, I just nodded and smiled like a fool as I didn’t understand a word, he didn’t give her chance to translate for me and we left.

She told me he had asked her if I had been married, she replied yes, and he said he then needed a certified copy of decree nisi translated at the MFA !!
He also asked her if I did drugs as most farang do drugs !! <deleted>

I went back in , got my paperwork from the lady and that was that .

Luckily my Thai language skills are not good enough to understand him or for me to show him my disgust at his unprofessionalism as it would probably have ended badly for me.

The lowdown was that he didn’t like farang and was gonna make it as difficult as possible.

Has somebody tried to purchase it by giving money in the tune of 2K/3K to an amphur worker where it is difficult to obtain one? I bet with 2K/3K, there is no need for any translation or any other BS. If ever, I felt the need for one, I will definitely get one by buying the privilege of having a yellow book. But so far, I have not felt the need for one. 

Most of these silly things in Thailand can be bought easily. That is great about living in Thailand.

Edited by onera1961

37 minutes ago, Mukdahanman said:

i only got mine so I could officially own my car and bike

I officially own my car and bike after paying 700 baht for each to an agent. No BS about yellow book or certificate of residence. 

Edited by onera1961

18 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Well, I’ve done this rant on every yellow book thread for the last two years so shouldn’t do it again ........but........ here goes.

Went to the Amphur to enquire about yellow book and was told by some lady, after she checked with her boss, that only needed passport certified copy and translation.
Went to the Embassy, called in at MFA for translation, here the receptionist asked me if I wanted birth certificate translated also, this was news to me so gf called the Amphur and the lady, after checking with her boss ????, said yes !!

Left passport copy and copy of birth certificate, luckily I had one in my folder, with MFA to post to home.
When post arrived back to Amphur, lady looked at docs and said “ okay, just need to have an interview with my boss now “.
The “ boss “ talked to my gf , she looked quite embarrassed with his questions, I just nodded and smiled like a fool as I didn’t understand a word, he didn’t give her chance to translate for me and we left.

She told me he had asked her if I had been married, she replied yes, and he said he then needed a certified copy of decree nisi translated at the MFA !!
He also asked her if I did drugs as most farang do drugs !! <deleted>

I went back in , got my paperwork from the lady and that was that .

Luckily my Thai language skills are not good enough to understand him or for me to show him my disgust at his unprofessionalism as it would probably have ended badly for me.

The lowdown was that he didn’t like farang and was gonna make it as difficult as possible.

Jesus H Christ! I feel your pain

5 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

I officially own my car and bike after paying 700 baht for each to an agent. No BS about yellow book or certificate of residence. 

Nice one - didn’t know you could do that. I hope there’s another use for the bloody thing ????

4 minutes ago, onera1961 said:
40 minutes ago, Mukdahanman said:

i only got mine so I could officially own my car and bike

Agreed.

Years ago I changed a vehicle into my name with just my passport by going to the DLT myself.

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Agreed.

Years ago I changed a vehicle into my name with just my passport by going to the DLT myself.

I went myself, but passport wasn’t enough- they insisted on the yellow book (Mukdahan)

Edited by Mukdahanman

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

In and out in about half an hour, just wife and passport, they took what copies they wanted themselves.

But as with so many things in the Kingdom, it entirely depends on who you see and where you go, there is rarely any consistency in requirement or service from any office judging by the vast array of experiences I have seen posted on this forum.

All comes down to what happens on the day. 

The best you can do is to visit prior to actually applying and ask directly what they require, then hope you get the same person when you do apply. ????

CharlieH has the best advice "The best you can do is to visit prior to actually applying and ask directly what they require, then hope you get the same person when you do apply. ???? plus what happens on that day"  

Since Amphur to Amphur requirements are different it would be helpful if some put which Amphur they applied at in their post.  As I was reading some of the easy/successful gaining of a yellow book I did not see what Amphur they applied at, what country they were from, married to Thai or not/visa held which may help those seeking information. I went to my Amphur in person with my Thai wife and asked what was required prior which prevented me multiple trips...plus a little luck.

For me at Amphoe Muak Lek December 2018 1st interview:

-passport info page copy stamped at US Embassy then embassy stamped copy translated at Thai MFA

-copies of current 0 visa, last visa

-wife family book and id card 

-three Thai witness's, including the village headman is a plus.  We don't live in a city, very rural.  I think a little more difficult in a city. Hopefully neighbors know you, if not talk to them.   Witness have to bring family book and Thai ID card and copies. 

-marriage certificate

-four pictures forget the size

-interviewed wife first, me next then village headman and witness's

-three witness's were interviewed as of date of marriage, how long they have known me, if they were at my wedding, do we live together etc.

-asked me my family history including previous address, bothers/sisters/ parents and their date of birth. 

-copies of every document if I forgot to mention

-getting the same person is good advice too.  My initial advice was given from one person at the Amphoe Office.  When I went back to bring my documents I talked to another which said I needed more documents...luckily I saw the the person who I talked to before and he took care of us. 

2nd interview about 3 weeks later:

-only my wife and myself

-talked to Amphoe for a few minutes and was issued Tabian Baan Yellow and ID card 

Yellow book has paved the way for opening bank accounts, driver license and getting a loan from Toyota.  I don't know if helps for O visa extension but it can't hurt. 

My dealings with the Amphoe Office was professional and they did their due diligence as they should in my mind. 

3 minutes ago, the guest said:

I have a yellow book (YB), and quite honestly it has no practical value anymore. In the old days you could use the YB to renew your driving licenses, but not now as the rules have changed (again).

Maybe a little more information would be helpful.  As said many times in this forum it depends on where you live, what is done in your Amphoe may not apply in others. 

13 hours ago, Isaan Alan said:

So my question is: what really is required to get a yellow house book?

It different from province to province, so what has been told you, is what is needed where you stay.

Some posters have said its as easy as taking a piece of cake; whilst where I stay it was almost same as if I applied for permanent residency – more complicated that just a verified passport translation, and bringing head-of-village to the tessa ban office – however I could use a translator for my interview, so no Thai language test, and I should not sing the national hymn...????

Eventually check in a local forum covering you area, and hear about others' experience.

????

Edited by khunPer

CharlieH has the best advice "The best you can do is to visit prior to actually applying and ask directly what they require, then hope you get the same person when you do apply. [emoji3] plus what happens on that day"  

Since Amphur to Amphur requirements are different it would be helpful if some put which Amphur they applied at in their post.  As I was reading some of the easy/successful gaining of a yellow book I did not see what Amphur they applied at, what country they were from, married to Thai or not/visa held which may help those seeking information. I went to my Amphur in person with my Thai wife and asked what was required prior which prevented me multiple trips...plus a little luck.

I think most people visit first in the knowledge that the requirements of their Amphur could be different to those they have read about !

I visited mine for the requirements: excluding the copy of blue book and owners id, passport and usual copies i was informed of only 1 out of their 3 ( could have been more, I stopped before achieving yellow book ) requirements.

A Brit visiting Bang Pa-In Amphur , unmarried, on an OA visa.

27 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I think most people visit first in the knowledge that the requirements of their Amphur could be different to those they have read about !

I visited mine for the requirements: excluding the copy of blue book and owners id, passport and usual copies i was informed of only 1 out of their 3 ( could have been more, I stopped before achieving yellow book ) requirements.

A Brit visiting Bang Pa-In Amphur , unmarried, on an OA visa.

A little luck and what happens that day!  

Thanks for providing status, it helps all understand where your coming from.  Understood difficult on an OA unmarried, no way I could have got my YB without my wife who grew up in the Amphoe.  Best and Cheers!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, your original post mentions getting a Certificate of Residence from the local Ampher, Immigration does COR.  If you need another COR get it from immigration.

Otherwise the passport, translation,certified for the yellow book is what is usually required.

They basically want an official translation of your name into Thai, In pattaya they accept your marrige document because they already have an MFA translation of your name, Ask your local ampher as it may save a trip to Banngkok.

Is just the Thai translation of your name the only reason?

As my name was put in Thai on the back of my chanote. Would that be enough?

If not, I,d certainly have to ask the MFA to make sure they wrote it the same way, otherwise it would start a whole new can or worms.

Edited by bigginhill