Yellow book requirements

16 hours ago, rawhod said:

Certainly does...

I have tried three times to get a yellow book from our local Kweng without success. 

He just keeps changing the requirements, so Ive given up.

Next time arrange 2 Officials (police -doctor or government position and apply again...a translated passport is in almost all cases the minimum required issue.

16 hours ago, luckyluke said:

I paid, unofficially. 2500 ThB, and got one ( based on the Blue Book of my wife) in ca. 6 weeks.

I guess Luckyluke was not so lucky with this, since I paid nothing and got it within 1 day. 

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

As you can see from the replies sometimes it’s just as if they don’t want you to have it and create hurdles.

Soon the “ I got mine with a passport and 20 baht “ posters will be along to gloat !!

I hate gloaters emoji35.pngemoji35.png

Unless it’s me gloating of course emoji51.png

I got mine with a passport, photo and zero baht but wouldn't gloat about it. That was 2010 and times change, also something I have never heard anyone mention, had to wait 6 weeks for a police check to be done.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

As you can see from the replies sometimes it’s just as if they don’t want you to have it and create hurdles.

Soon the “ I got mine with a passport and 20 baht “ posters will be along to gloat !!

I hate gloaters emoji35.pngemoji35.png

Unless it’s me gloating of course emoji51.png

Then, as if by magic...

18 hours ago, colinneil said:

More fool you, i paid nothing, got my yellow book in under 30 minutes, no translation of passport, or anything thing else.

4 minutes ago, Isaan Alan said:

Thanks for all the great (and funny) answers. Needing parents' death certificates takes the prize. Thai bureacracy is a hoot when you read about it, but not when you are the victim of it.

So the general consensus is 

1) get a embassy certified copy of your passport main page

2) have the copy translated into Thai by a certified translator because everything must be in Thai

3) have that translation stamped by MFA

5) front up to the local Amphur (the really fun part) with wife and her ID, blue book and her elepahant (joking) plus the village head man and his elephant (not joking ha ha) plus all your docs including even a birth certificate and proof that you don't own an elephant (joking)

6) pray to Buddha that the Amphur staff are in a good mood

You sir, are the consummate box-checker. Well done.

Since I am a long-time loser in LOS, I would maybe preface your list with 1) Ask on Isaan-centric forums or otherwise ask local foreigners in Yasothon for specific evidence that the Amphur there has recently issued a YB. Otherwise you're doing a fair bit of legwork for bugger all. About 10 years ago, the Nongbua Lamphu Amphur swore they didn't even exist and when pressed, threatened to get one hapless farang arrested.

Good luck with your YB endeavors.

6 hours ago, bigginhill said:

Is just the Thai translation of your name the only reason?

As my name was put in Thai on the back of my chanote. Would that be enough?

If not, I,d certainly have to ask the MFA to make sure they wrote it the same way, otherwise it would start a whole new can or worms.

It comes down to the Ampher, some may accept any translation. Most appear to want an MFA certified translation.

Coincidently, I did end up with a wrong translation. After I got Marriage documents (which contain MFA certified translation), The Ampher pointed out that my name on my chanote had actually been translated wrong, and needed to be changed. It took 5 mins at land office to change but could have caused problems later if not changed.

3 hours ago, Isaan Alan said:

Thanks for all the great (and funny) answers. Needing parents' death certificates takes the prize. Thai bureacracy is a hoot when you read about it, but not when you are the victim of it.

So the general consensus is 

1) get a embassy certified copy of your passport main page

2) have the copy translated into Thai by a certified translator because everything must be in Thai

3) have that translation stamped by MFA

4) pray to Buddha that the Amphur staff are in a good mood

5) front up to the local Amphur (the really fun part, but don't go anywhere near lunch time) with your wife and her ID, her blue book and her elephant (joking) plus the village head man and his elephant (not joking ha ha) plus all your docs including even a birth certificate and 3 photos and proof that you don't own an elephant (joking)

6) then it's probable but not certain that you will get your yellow book in about 2 weeks

As I mentioned earlier, you already have a MFA certified translation of your name and parents names in your marriage documents. (this is 99% of why they want the translations)

You may need to present the documents in a face saving way, ask the ampher if you can present a document that has a MFA translation of names, will it be acceptable, then pull out your marriage docs.

Edited by Peterw42

The documents needed are listed in the regulations. They can ask for additional documents, but in that case you can ask them for a letter stating the reasons to do this. In addition this letter needs to be signed by the neigh amphur himself. The reason can next be challenged in court, with the government having to pay if the request was not deemed reasonable.

As my local amphur explained, most employees at an amphur will back away from demanding documents not listed as they have to explain themselves to the neigh amphur.

11 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Great, but I assume you paid nothing at your amphur. 

Different, not same-same. 

I don't get what you mean. Of course we are talking about the costs of the yellow book, which should be free of charge at the amphur. I'm not sure why and to who you paid 2500.

38 minutes ago, Cheops said:

why and to who you paid 2500.

At my amphur it was only possible to get one, with translations, confirmations, copies, documents... 

With 2500, only my passport and the Blue Book of my wife was necessary. 

I choose the easy way. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, luckyluke said:

At my amphur it was only possible to get one, with translations, confirmations, copies, documents... 

With 2500, only my passport and the Blue Book of my wife was necessary. 

I choose the easy way. 

Ok, got it. I was lucky enough that they accepted my name in Thai from my work permit, so I didn't need to spend anything. 

• Like 1

The boss abuses his position and should be taught. Everything in [English or Thai is usually normal, and your wife just needs to confirm on a document that you live there. Then you are entitled to get your yellow book for a small fee, and not 10,000 that someone has had to pay. I have lived her for 12 years and got my book the first year without problems. Paid 500 for the paperwork. There are crockery.

• 9 months later...

Well good news. I got my Yellow book. I took the village headman, seems one person besides my Thai wife was enough to vouch I was living there. I had an Australian and MFA certified copy of my passport and a MFA certified marriage certificate (this was just in case).The only problem was that they were originals and they offered to allow us to copy them and submit the copies. Go figure that; after all he experiences I have had with copies not being allowed. 

Now this was my 4th visit about this. I believe the main reason for success was the pedantic, unfriendly manager was gone and a lovely woman was acting manager. I suspect she might have even just accepted my passport without certification because of the original Thai marriage certificate. But I will never know that.

Be prepared to be quizzed about your mother and father. It's in the design of the system. It was all easy really but it still took 2.5 hours. The adjusting of the Microsoft Word templates was excruciatingly and tedious. I can go back in a day or two and get a pink id card.

So keep trying, the boss and other staff do change sometimes and that might open a door.

I see some negative comments about the usefulness of the yellow book. Firstly I know it is no proof of any ownership of real estate if it comes to divorce time. It is supposed to help you with buying a car or motorbike in your name, proof of residence for driving licenses and the pink card might even give me Thai prices for entering national parks. We shall see.

21 minutes ago, sanook 1 said:

May i ask you guys if you ever actually had any use of the yellow book after you got it? Im thinking of getting one myself but really not sure if il need it.

Don't need a proof of address letter to do stuff, just print off the main page.

When I went to a military hospital last year, they found I was in their computer system, they quite liked that, their first farang on it for them. ???? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sanook 1 said:

May i ask you guys if you ever actually had any use of the yellow book after you got it? Im thinking of getting one myself but really not sure if il need it.

Many times. Every time you need proof of address you simply show your yellow book instead of having to go to Immigration, queue up and pay for a resident certificate.

It also means you can obtain a pink ID card which, together, gives a more convenient access to a range of other things.

Yes, you do have other 'get around' options but the yellow book means convenience. All other options mean varying degrees of extra hassle. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Used my pink card just yesterday as proof of ID both to send a package and to withdraw money from the bank. Can't say that you ever need it. Therein lies the objection for our members who pretend they never do anything they don't need to: they just eat, drink, sleep, and have bowel movements. But it can be convenient and may possibly save you some money on some occasions (register with it at a Thai public hospital). I rather enjoy having it and had fun getting it as well, met The Mayor and everything.

If you used it to withdraw money from the bank, you must have opened your account using the pink card too?

On 5/20/2019 at 9:34 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Varies from Amphur to Amphur.

And there in lies the problem with Thailand when people ask advice on this forum....  Yes I got my yellow book easy in Udon Thani, had to take a Thai person who stated that they had known me more than 2 years--and the book has been useful in certain situations.

This means nothing in Nakon nowhere or any other province ---with lodging a Will , I gave up after refusing to contribute to their welfare fund. My friend in Khon kaen an hour away had no problems at all.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, BigStar said:

Used my pink card just yesterday as proof of ID both to send a package and to withdraw money from the bank. Can't say that you ever need it. Therein lies the objection for our members who pretend they never do anything they don't need to: they just eat, drink, sleep, and have bowel movements. But it can be convenient and may possibly save you some money on some occasions (register with it at a Thai public hospital). I rather enjoy having it and had fun getting it as well, met The Mayor and everything.

"register with it at a Thai public hospital" - Are we entitled(welcome) to public hospitals if we have the yellow book? So it might be a good idea to register at the local hospital in the area? 

14 hours ago, sanook 1 said:

"register with it at a Thai public hospital" - Are we entitled(welcome) to public hospitals if we have the yellow book? So it might be a good idea to register at the local hospital in the area? 

Anyone can use a public hospital, Thai or foreigner and having a tabien baan or not.

You will not qualify for "free" healthcare, but just have to pay your bills.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 5/20/2019 at 10:10 AM, KhunKenAP said:

I got mine last year at the Nongpure office and it was hassle. Lady wanted a copy of my 90 day report. As I was working at the time and in and out of the country, I did not need to do the 90 Reports. She insisted it was required. Went to the Jomtien Soi 5, office and explained the situation. They all said not needed, but finally convinced them and they did it for me. Took it to the Nongpure office, she was happy and a month later we got the Yellow book.

Moral of the story, try and keep a happy face, jump the hoops and you can get it, but as everyone says, it all depends on which office you use and probably who takes the application. Seems a common issue at and Thai government office form Immigration, to Social Security to your local Amphur office. Remember TIT.

Nonprue ? not pattaya city hall ?

yellow.jpg