Sriphat Hospital’s Error

bprhodes

Today I had an appointment for a needle biopsy at Sriphat, the appointment was made more than two weeks ago. The biopsy will involve admission for 1 night. I arrived this morning at the appointed time, checked in, had blood drawn, and an IV inserted. Then I get a call from the doctor who is to perform the complex biopsy. So sorry he says, I forgot today is a government holiday. Can you come back tomorrow? Such incompetence is unbelievable - makes me think twice about having the procedure done there. I usually go to Bangkok hospital, I guess you get what you pay for.

This is nothing special or unique. I had repeated such instances of appointment cancellations for quixotic reasons at CM Ram. It is just typical of the attitude towards ordinary people who have to accept that they are treated like kak by persons of apparently higher status. Personally I dont accept that and move on to another service provider after making my feelings very clear.

12 minutes ago, bprhodes said:

Hopefully he’s not suffering when he sticks me with an 8 inch needle tomorrow....

Maybe gently remind him/her you are "needle biopsy" not the penile amputation ????

The coin flips both ways.  I had an appointment with a well-known local doc for a minor surgery.  He had quoted me a price, about 30K baht.   The night before the surgery i learned from a golf buddy that his exact same procedure cost only 6K baht at Sriphat outpatient dermo clinic.

At 9am, an hour before the scheduled surgery, i sent the doc a text and cancelled my appt.

The coin flips both ways.  I had an appointment with a well-known local doc for a minor surgery.  He had quoted me a price, about 30K baht.   The night before the surgery i learned from a golf buddy that his exact same procedure cost only 6K baht at Sriphat outpatient dermo clinic.
At 9am, an hour before the scheduled surgery, i sent the doc a text and cancelled my appt.

My doctor works at both BKK Hospital and at Sriphat. BKK quoted me 55k baht for the biopsy, which included a round trip ambulance ride to Sriphat and back ( where apparently the equipment is better) and 1 night stay back at BKK. I said why not just go to Sriphat? Quote at Sriphat was 20k. Nurses are prettier at BKK but not 35k baht worth. But still not happy they cancelled at last minute. They must do their scheduling on post-it notes.

bprhodes people sometimes make mistakes, you never made a mistake?

Forgotten a holiday, or other dates?

So the doctor made a simple mistake over the date, get over it, such incompetence is unbelievable, pathetic comment.

This morning i shook my wife come on woman your gonna be late, get up now, her words were not repeatable ended with the word holiday, oops silly me.

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

I had the same thing happen at C.M.Ram late last year. 12 hour fast, took antibiotic capsule, was on the way when the nurse called to say "come tomorrow, the doctor forgot today was a government holiday."

Why should docs at Ram observe govt holidays?

The issue here is not the hospital or the doctor, it is the OP. Regrettable they have such difficulty dealing with change.

One report like this should not effect anybody’s opinion of Sripat.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The issue here is not the hospital or the doctor, it is the OP. Regrettable they have such difficulty dealing with change.

One report like this should not effect anybody’s opinion of Sripat.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I deal with change better than most. Had they called me the day before, or even early this morning, I would have not been so pissed off. But I was all prepped and already had an IV inserted when they realized about the holiday. That is unacceptable for any reputable hospital.

I have heard many good things about Sriphat. And their prices are reasonable . I will reserve further judgement until after my procedure tomorrow (hopefully tomorrow isn’t some obscure holiday).

15 minutes ago, bprhodes said:

I deal with change better than most. Had they called me the day before, or even early this morning, I would have not been so pissed off. But I was all prepped and already had an IV inserted when they realized about the holiday. That is unacceptable for any reputable hospital.

I would have phoned and checked with the doctor when I realised it was a Bank Holiday.

I was going to visit Fascino pharmacy today, then thought (Friday) it's a BH on Monday, I'll go on Tuesday just in case they're closed.

Thais don't seem to think ahead all that much, but that's no excuse for us to be unprepared.

I would have phoned and checked with the doctor when I realised it was a Bank Holiday.
I was going to visit Fascino pharmacy today, then thought (Friday) it's a BH on Monday, I'll go on Tuesday just in case they're closed.

Thais don't seem to think ahead all that much, but that's no excuse for us to be unprepared.

Normally I would have asked at the time the appointment was made, but the holiday shows on my calendar for Saturday, Monday is the “make-up” holiday. Which is also probably why the doc missed it too.

I’ve calmed down now, thanks to y’all for listening to me vent!

10 minutes ago, bprhodes said:

Normally I would have asked at the time the appointment was made, but the holiday shows on my calendar for Saturday, Monday is the “make-up” holiday. Which is also probably why the doc missed it too.

I’ve calmed down now, thanks to y’all for listening to me vent!

YOu could also download the FREE Thaivisa calender and you wont miss it again ?

Important holidays are here: 

The FREE calender is here:

Calendars may be a bit old fashioned but my Bangkok Bank gives me both a wall and a desk calendar with the holidays clearly shown in red.I always draw a circle round the 90 day reporting nonsense it makes life a little easier if you are organised.

Siriphat Hospital by the way is a fine hospital as are other hospitals in CM we are indeed blessed to have them

4 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

New public holiday coming soon, Monday June 3.  The new queen, working hard, deserves a day off work, so she gets one.  And the entire country relaxes with her. Maybe she gets a Bavarian holiday?

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2019/05/14/new-queens-birthday-designated-as-public-holiday/

Thanks for pointing this out.  I have an appointment with a doctor at Bangkok Hospital on June 3.  I better check if that's still on.

Incidentally, Hubby was scheduled for a procedure at Bangkok Hospital yesterday, Monday, the "make-up" day for Saturday's Buddhist holiday and it was still a go for him yesterday.  But his favorite nurse had the day off, totally bumming him out.  He said seeing and joking with her again was the only reason he was looking forward to the procedure.

On 5/20/2019 at 5:23 PM, colinneil said:

bprhodes people sometimes make mistakes, you never made a mistake?

Forgotten a holiday, or other dates?

So the doctor made a simple mistake over the date, get over it, such incompetence is unbelievable, pathetic comment.

This morning i shook my wife come on woman your gonna be late, get up now, her words were not repeatable ended with the word holiday, oops silly me.

You really are a cranky old bugger Colin...but you always make me laugh!!!

4 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

You really are a cranky old bugger Colin...but you always make me laugh!!!

Just take a moment, spare a thought for my poor long suffering wife, she puts up with me, buggered if i know how.???????? must be love.

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Just take a moment, spare a thought for my poor long suffering wife, she puts up with me, buggered if i know how.???????? must be love.

Your comment on another thread this afternoon:

"Knocked up, then locked up".

Still chuckling about it.

"...the complex biopsy...."

A needle biopsy is one of the simplest procedures there is. 

Not this one. It took 2 hours and included use of CT scan and ultrasound. 8 inch needle. Mass being sampled was wedged between bowels and 2 main arteries. He finally got to it on the 3rd try. Not fun.

OMG (written in Merkin)- are you traumatised by this 'incompetence'? They realised the fact that there was an error and contacted you (AND by your own account apologised) instead of just letting you rock up on the day. I would guess that you are a Starbucks millennial type who wants instant gratification and over the top US style 'service' for everything. Mountains and molehills spring to mind.

Personally I didn't realise Monday was a day in lieu holiday, most people were focussed on Saturday.

OMG (written in Merkin)- are you traumatised by this 'incompetence'? They realised the fact that there was an error and contacted you (AND by your own account apologised) instead of just letting you rock up on the day. I would guess that you are a Starbucks millennial type who wants instant gratification and over the top US style 'service' for everything. Mountains and molehills spring to mind.

Personally I didn't realise Monday was a day in lieu holiday, most people were focussed on Saturday.

Yea, they contacted me after I showed up, had blood tests, and had an IV inserted. If they had called before I left for hospital, I wouldn’t have been upset.

But they did apologize. And did so again profusely when I arrived yesterday for the rescheduled biopsy. So all is forgiven. Confusion was caused by the fact that the doctor works for the private side (no holiday), but the OR staff works on the public side and had the holiday. Shit happens, it was just bad timing.

The biopsy was done, and as stated above was quite difficult. Dr. Nakarin is one of only two interventionists in CM that have the training to do this procedure. He was quite careful, and was able to get a sample on 3rd try, with no complications. He has a very good bedside manner. Very patient. Because I speak Thai I could tell from the chatter that it was quite difficult. I felt like I was in good hands. He also gave me his email address, that would be very rare in the US.

Sriphat is a zoo. Lifts are often a 10 min wait and are packed like a Tokyo subway. Nurses and staff are all nice, but are quite harried, and there is often some confusion. I was taken to the wrong place a couple of times. I will continue to use BKK hospital because I have good insurance. If I didn’t, Sriphat or McCormick would be my choices.

Archived