US Embassy issues advisory on medical care for tourists, long-stay expats

webfact

US Embassy issues advisory on medical care for tourists, long-stay expats

By The Phuket News

1558330777_1-org.jpg

The US Embassy in Bangkok has issued an advisory warning Americans to ensure they have adequate medical coverage if staying long-term in the country, especially if they are of retirement age.

The advisory reads as follows:

Thailand remains one of the most popular retirement destinations in the world. Great culture; great food; great people. And as US citizens age, Thailand also offers access to excellent health care, provided at world-class private hospitals by internationally trained doctors. But you need to be able to afford it.

Sadly, we at the Embassy in Bangkok have seen many instances where US citizens discover, too late, that essential, high-quality health care is out of financial reach and their options are limited. As you contemplate your own preparedness, we urge you to plan for a few key expenses: medical treatment, nursing care, and, if necessary, medical evacuation.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/us-embassy-issues-advisory-on-medical-care-for-tourists-long-stay-expats-71492.php#AcR8SATv5mZiMkKj.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-05-20

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want to say that the Tricare for Life Overseas for retired service members is 10 times better than anything they offer here.  You pay the bill and Tricare reimburses you 75% of the cost after $150 deductible.   There is also a Cap of $3,000 per the calendar year.  After you met the cap Tricare for Life overseas pays the full bill.  Plus a few international hospitals here like BHN and Bumrungrad Hospital will charge you 25% of the bill and submit the claim to Tricare for you.  Immigration here better accepts this if we are required to have the insurance.

1 minute ago, Mango Bob said:

I just want to say that the Tricare for Life Overseas for retired service members is 10 times better than anything they offer here.  You pay the bill and Tricare reimburses you 75% of the cost after $150 deductible.   There is also a Cap of $3,000 per the calendar year.  After you met the cap Tricare for Life overseas pays the full bill.  Plus a few international hospitals here like BHN and Bumrungrad Hospital will charge you 25% of the bill and submit the claim to Tricare for you.  Immigration here better accepts this if we are required to have the insurance.

Good luck but as the agent I use said today with a smile "immigration does not think too much about what they're doing".

I'm also fully insured but I realize immigration simply may not care.

This is a great opportunity for the government to squeeze out 30, 40, or 60+ thousand baht from thousands of expats.

yeah, medical care including PET and MRI scans, chemo and brain surgery.  but please, my big daddy protector, ask them not to require us to have "outpatient coverage". 

they won't and we still will need that extra coverage.

the same dudes that require us to file FBAR's and all kinds of reports but.... if you want to do a few trillion US dollars in an "offshore transaction", as long as you don't park it in your real name you can have as much fun as you want.  in 100% secrecy.  thank you my Big Brother, "Uncle Sam" USA.  for looking out for my little interests and preparing me for the shock! of having to have health insurance even while I am in Thailand.

which I have always had, but not OUTPATIENT COVERAGE!   

46 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thailand also offers access to excellent health care, provided at world-class private hospitals by internationally trained doctors.

47 minutes ago, webfact said:

As you contemplate your own preparedness, we urge you to plan for a few key expenses: medical treatment, nursing care, and, if necessary, medical evacuation.

Why would I need medical evacuation if Thailand has world-class hospitals and doctors?

I hope it is not feeding a fire that kicks the immigration dept to initiate a full spread of exorbitant high coverage across the board for everyone, but it does seem this is a precursor warning for retirees to be prepared for the storm that’s coming.

I too wonder about health insurance here, I do have Medicare A & B, 100% VA Disabled … and I might get a cup of coffee with all that. I've been here awhile and have used the hospital care here, never goes over 100,000 bt at private hospitals, a much better deal  than in the US where I get VA Hospital care for free. If they do start to require insurance here, it should be affordable and well worth it to live here. We will have to see where that boat sails, no worries for now. There is a huge difference between great hospital care and just hospital care.

The US State Department does not give “friendly” advisories to overseas Americans.  There is always a reason behind it.  To my fellow Americans this a Big Hint:  You will need to purchase health insurance if you are a long term visa holder in Thailand.  Also, when the Health Insurance law becomes comprehensive the Embassy can say “We told you so”,   As an American I have lived in 3 other countries and realized the mission of a US Embassy is not to assist it’s citizens.  Instead it is to promote American businesses.  

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

// but it does seem this is a precursor warning for retirees to be prepared for the storm that’s coming.

Storm? I think they will accept insurance of those who already have one, foreign or thai, so the impact of mandatory insurance for retirees (if ever it comes) will be rather minimal, just concerning the few retirees who don't have any insurance and could have one.

3 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Storm? I think they will accept insurance of those who already have one, foreign or thai, so the impact of mandatory insurance for retirees (if ever it comes) will be rather minimal, just concerning the few retirees who don't have any insurance and could have one.

My guess is that if they do have insurance, then a majority have insurance that is not accepted here.

4 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

Good info, especially the part about the $3000 cap per year.  We have a Facebook that focuses on this for American military retirees living overseas.  Come join, if you are not already a member.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1130957407076906

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

The US State Department does not give “friendly” advisories to overseas Americans. There is always a reason behind it. To my fellow Americans this a Big Hint: You will need to purchase health insurance if you are a long term visa holder in Thailand. Also, when the Health Insurance law becomes comprehensive the Embassy can say “We told you so”, As an American I have lived in 3 other countries and realized the mission of a US Embassy is not to assist it’s citizens. Instead it is to promote American businesses.

just the same as every where

6 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

My private insurance also does the same. Mine is 20:80 co-insurance with a high deductible ($1200) and a a high max out of pocket ($10,000). It also comes with a HSA account where you can save accumulated money every year tax free. Not sure, if that will be accepted or not. Catastrophic insurance with an HSA account are  popular in the US and is meant for this kind of situation. When a catastrophic insurance is offered in ACA exchanges, there is no limit to the maximum amount the insurance is going to pay after max out of pocket.  

6 hours ago, watcharacters said:

This is a great opportunity for the government to squeeze out 30, 40, or 60+ thousand baht from thousands of expats.

I completely agree with your post. The insurance is a scam to enrich insurance companies but it looks like we have to abide by their rules if we want to stay here. 

4 hours ago, crees said:

I too wonder about health insurance here, I do have Medicare A & B, 100% VA Disabled … and I might get a cup of coffee with all that. I've been here awhile and have used the hospital care here, never goes over 100,000 bt at private hospitals, a much better deal  than in the US where I get VA Hospital care for free. If they do start to require insurance here, it should be affordable and well worth it to live here. We will have to see where that boat sails, no worries for now. There is a huge difference between great hospital care and just hospital care.

Your particular hospital bills may not have gone over 100,000 but inpatient stays in private hospitals very, very often go not just over 100,000k (vast majority for that) but also well over 1,000,000 baht. We have had members here with bills in excess of 3 million on a single hospitalization - major of course, entailing long ICU stay, specialized surgery and the like. But it happens.

You should be prepared for bills in the 3-4 million range and if you are not,  best consider additional insurance.

I was just on vacation in Vietnam. That country looks like a good option if things don't work out here. I enjoyed paying much less for very good Mexican and Indian food there. Taxis in DaNang were very cheap and a quick way to get around. I might try to get a long stay in a hotel there as the breakfasts are amazingly good with many options. This was my fourth time there and I actually think it is better than Thailand.....and this mandatory health might be the final straw. Even the wife and kids loved the place, but her working there might not be possible. Everybody spoke to her in Vietnamese as they thought she was one of them. And it was cooler there.

You may wish to consider purchasing long-term care insurance and having a written plan in place in the event you become incapacitated.

They may be out there.... but thus far, I've never heard of any long-term care medical insurance policies being offered here in Thailand...

In the U.S., absolutely, yes... But they tend to be expensive, as you might imagine, and I'm not sure even the U.S. ones cover care rendered outside the U.S. (The U.S. ones I've looked at in the past did not cover care outside the U.S.)

Ah, the US Embassy!  The paragon of empathy.  I would have made the announcement as follows:

Fellow citizens in Thailand on retirement O-A visas and extensions of stay.  If one of the reasons you came to Thailand was to avoid a healthcare system in the USA that has all but collapsed - especially with the cost of prescription medication, we advise that you seriously consider getting medical insurance in Thailand that excludes all the pre-existing illnesses from which you will probably die.

In the absence of medical insurance, funeral plans in Thailand are relatively cheap and come with or without those handy charcoal heaters to use in your bathroom when you're really depressed. 

In addition, please don't rent or buy condos/apartment on the lower floors.  When you jump, you want to make sure that it is the final solution to your medical problems.  Please realize that all of you in the 'baby-boomer' generation are a tremendous drain on social services wherever you live.

Thank you for your attention to this announcement and have a good day.

7 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Good luck but as the agent I use said today with a smile "immigration does not think too much about what they're doing".

I'm also fully insured but I realize immigration simply may not care.

right, rich old mongers will only remain here, lol.  all the interesting people will be priced out.  sad.  seen this happen in Venice Beach.  now it's all dot com millennials with phones glued to their heads who think the Doors are something you walk through

6 hours ago, WeekendRaider said:

yeah, medical care including PET and MRI scans, chemo and brain surgery.  but please, my big daddy protector, ask them not to require us to have "outpatient coverage". 

they won't and we still will need that extra coverage.

the same dudes that require us to file FBAR's and all kinds of reports but.... if you want to do a few trillion US dollars in an "offshore transaction", as long as you don't park it in your real name you can have as much fun as you want.  in 100% secrecy.  thank you my Big Brother, "Uncle Sam" USA.  for looking out for my little interests and preparing me for the shock! of having to have health insurance even while I am in Thailand.

which I have always had, but not OUTPATIENT COVERAGE!   

how about extending Medicare to your citizens?  thank you USA

4 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

555 exactly how would the person doing your extension check the policy lol. I would bet a night of beer this won't be the case at all.

1. Channel $$ to crony capitalists for kickbacks

2. Idiot proof the IO check of policies by whittling it down to a handful.

3. Thailand can be more assured policy has basic coverage.

Maybe foreigners on Thai government insurance might not have to change policies.

After that I seriously doubt your position and that much doubt multplied 3x that they will accept any military insurance and if they know better they won't accept Medicare AB.

What's the worst part of this?

Buying outpatient insurance and guaranteed if you use it your premium will skyrocket.

Who knows to what age they will insure and at what price. This is looking ugly.

We all know we'll get screwed on the bill and as farang in a lawless country have zero recourse. Insult to injury, snd must continue to hold insurance.

Of course we wait...but myself and wife may be gone when I 62.

Its not the insurance, its the venality, corruption and incorrigibly.

6 minutes ago, ocddave said:

US Embassy, "....you're on your own, good luck."

what did you expect from the world richest country.  look who's in charge.  as an American i could expect nothing less.  it was once a great nation. sucks now.  we have to take care of the immigrants first these days.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Your particular hospital bills may not have gone over 100,000 but inpatient stays in private hospitals very, very often go not just over 100,000k (vast majority for that) but also well over 1,000,000 baht. We have had members here with bills in excess of 3 million on a single hospitalization - major of course, entailing long ICU stay, specialized surgery and the like. But it happens.

You should be prepared for bills in the 3-4 million range and if you are not,  best consider additional insurance.

I'd add that you need to be ready for that kind of bill, and still have enough left over so you can afford a relapse or the next hospital stay, AND not completely derail your retirement budget.  I've known a couple of guys who could afford the hospital bill, but it screwed up their finances to the point they had to go "back home" and get a job.  If only for the insurance coverage.

My biggest concern about the health insurance requirement is the lack of protection against getting dumped like a hot potato as soon as the Thai insurance company figures out they can make more money by cancelling your coverage.  After you find out you have long term, high $$$ health care needs is not a great time to find out you cannot get coverage any more. Or you can't afford the coverage because they jack it up so high.

Archived