US Embassy issues advisory on medical care for tourists, long-stay expats

webfact

11 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

I don't get all the outrage over the outpatient coverage. It's only 40,000 baht. It can't amount to much in terms of the cost of the policy. The only mention I found of what exactly outpatient coverage is is from Navakij; doctor's consultation fee, medicine, x-ray, lab tests. 15 visits per year. What's the problem here?

It makes a massive difference to the cost! 

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THat's fine, I'll take care of it.  Cash is king, it can do wonders with an "agent" and a thick brown envelope.  Look at Red dull boy, still on the loose after killing a Thai cop. 

With the new requirements instituted by the Thai government, the neighboring countries look ever more appealing. Imagine retiring in a SE asian country when the struggles are minimal and the local gov't doesn't detest you. Instituting all of these flaming hoops to get through, just to live is a nuisance. Especially, when the countries closest neighbors do not have them. I married a wife and created a family in Thailand, however, greener pastures may lie await elsewhere.

Good luck to all who optimistically invested in Thailand. Surely, as more expats leave, die & simply choose a different destination, the blooms of new real estate will seriously depreciate in value and the boom towns of the past wither on the vine. All due to a stupid and xenophobic gov't.

20 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Why would I need medical evacuation if Thailand has world-class hospitals and doctors?

Simple....they are NOT as they say they are. Many other countries where your insurance would fend better and/or be reasonable re: rates.Thailand is not one of them.

And to expand, I certainly understand expats who "should" have had insurance, yet the Thai system can not account for those who are either uninsured or marginally-insured.  Such is the debate of health care no matter where. Perhaps this reinforces whether my insurance company will pay for injuries while visiting a foreign country. That's assuming they don't contest any "accidents".

Nonetheless..whether through upcoming or not, do NOT go anywhere unless you know whether your insurance will pay. And that means before you board a plane to wherever.

After wading through the complaints about being "Required" or "Forced"to get health Insurance, I am wondering what most of the younger USA Expats did for reporting to the IRS the requirement to provide proof of medical insurance under the Obummer Non-Affordable Care Act? AKA IRS form 1095(A,B,C).

If you did not have 12 months of insurance for the tax year, and you did not qualify for the exemption, you would have had to pay what the IRS calls the "individual shared responsibility payment". Of course, many expats that have Medicaid are covered, but what about the rest? I have health insurance through AIA for a reasonable cost, but nobody has addressed this so far for the complainers who now say they are "forced to pay for health insurance".  Isn't paying the $695 fee for not having health insurance also "Forcing" you to get it, since yearly insurance here in Thailand can be bought for most people for about 22K thb?

40 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I didn't get an advisory in my mailbox and I always do.  So I called an acquaintance at the embassy (not a big wheel so may not be accurate) but he said they didn't issue any advisory but there is an article that appeared in the news about

Have a Plan for Successful Aging

https://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/opinion/30368711

Maybe someone else could call an embassy contact to confirm.  Looks to me like someone is trying to stir the pot and motivate Immigration to make insurance mandatory - just my opinion. 

It seems something is wrong here, the US Embassy enjoyed the story, but didn't issue an "advisory" that the staff knows about

9 minutes ago, crees said:

It seems something is wrong here, the US Embassy enjoyed the story, but didn't issue an "advisory" that the staff knows about

I think it is what is being called fake news.  Easy to find out.  I'm sure someone from the embassy reads Thai Visa.  Perhaps they could post.

Sweet Jesus ! You've gotta be a loon not to see what these low life rodents are doing, i'm just waiting for the list of insurers favoured by immigration, starting with "Prayut and sons"   It's all just another turn of the screw to milk the last drop out of the expat.........

I've been looking around Thailand recently and asking myself what am i doing here now ?  It's not cheap, it's not fun anymore, and the above rodents i've mentioned are multiplying due to there being no head rat catcher anymore.......  A good tip with a sinking ship is to get off it before it goes under, or else you'll be going down with it....... What a shame..... I'm just sorting out my move to Malaysia, i can't wait to get out......

2 hours ago, Danthai said:

Agree. Retired military should have no problem because it is an excellent benefit for retired military. Not sure Thai Immigration knows much about it, but here in Chiangmai, as I understand it, has a contract with Tricare and bills directly for their part. Also, part if the coverage is the benefit is Coverage 100% coverage after the first $3000 of allowable benefit each year.

Hope the US Embassy can help educate the Thai Immigration about the Tricare coverage for active and retired military.

Yea...like how the US Embassy educated Thai immigration on how to review/accept various type of U.S. income documents for immigration extension of stay purposes. 

We see how that worked out..  Immigration said, "No, I don't want to see all these foreign income docs in different formats/languages/etc., I just want to see Thai bank docs!"

53 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

I don't get all the outrage over the outpatient coverage. It's only 40,000 baht. It can't amount to much in terms of the cost of the policy. The only mention I found of what exactly outpatient coverage is is from Navakij; doctor's consultation fee, medicine, x-ray, lab tests. 15 visits per year. What's the problem here?

As another poster noted, it does make a significant difference to the policy cost.

Just looking at various quotes given online by Aetna, the policy cost can rise by anything from 70-95% of the OPD coverage value depending on the policy type and the OPD level. Insurers will obviously base this on past experience and expect that claims up to the OPD limit will be more likely than not.  

1 hour ago, Knee Jerk Reaction said:

Been there Sheryl and many of us DON'T receive the insurance product we pay for. I am no fool and was with the same well known company for many years and had read the policy thoroughly. When I eventually came to claim I was, after much argument, reimbursed only a fraction of my cost even though I was insured for more than what the bill came to.

Same for me- Thai wife and I had Medical Insurance from Thailand and also The US.  The Thai Insurance paid only a fraction of the cost of surgery even though the hospital verified there was coverage. 

Later in  life we used the coverage from the US policy for a cancer diagnosis-  Radiation and Chemotherapy were covered but had to pay up front- wait for a check to come- then deposit the check and wait a month for it to clear.  I found out the insurance company was delaying mailing the reimbursement check for weeks but the computer indicated payment made.  Complained to the State Insurance Commission- nothing changed except the premiums which went up to near $1,000 per month. 

My wife passed away- I was near broke and had to return to  work in the US.  I started with a healthy bank balance and what I thought was great medical insurance only to learn the harsh realities of  insurance and how it works.

Based on my experience- I don't hold Medical Insurance in high esteem whether it be Thai based or US based.  

IMO- if a Government mandates medical coverage- they must regulate insurance to  cover everyone and everything and make it affordable for the masses.   Medical care is a human right not a privilege to be meted out  to the wealthy or Government officials.

Thailand has a good Government Health system which could easily be bought into by developing a Government sponsored policy that provides coverage for expats with a reasonable  premium and it could cover the whole gamut of foreigners- long stay- short stay - tourists.  No need to exclude pre-existing conditions- age should not matter and the premiums could be collected by the Thai Social Security Office; added to an airplane ticket-or via a kiosk set up at land borders or airports.

Insurance is based on a pool of people from 0-100+ in age in which risks are spread over the pool.  In Thailand's case the pool would be over 30 million people per year .  The policy would be for use at Thai Government Hospitals- payment guaranteed but  also acceptable at private providers-reimbursed at Thai Government rates.

The costs of medical insurance are way too high everywhere and the system rewards profit- not the public.  There is an unholy alliance between For profit medicine- Insurance Companies- and Big Pharma- to keep the prices high -these  companies are making huge profits off the back of the ill and infirm/

Unfortunately-Thailand appears to be following the American Medical model-  money first- people second/

If you are American- you paid into the American Social Security system for decades to include Medicare- but cannot use it overseas or get a refund on what you paid.  Obviously fueled by protectionism of the US medical establishment.

If the US Embassy really wanted to help it's citizens- it would  lobby the US Government to provide Medicare benefits overseas; it would work with the Thai Government on reasonable medical coverage for expats and it would go to the Thai Immigration Department and reinstate the US Embassy Income Letter.

From the OP, The embassy is correct, Thailand's Doctors are some of the BEST in the world.  I carry CIGNA and SAICO insurance.  Excellent coverage, and very affordable for out of pockets costs when compared to US or Canada. 

20 hours ago, crees said:

I too wonder about health insurance here, I do have Medicare A & B, 100% VA Disabled … and I might get a cup of coffee with all that. I've been here awhile and have used the hospital care here, never goes over 100,000 bt at private hospitals, a much better deal  than in the US where I get VA Hospital care for free. If they do start to require insurance here, it should be affordable and well worth it to live here. We will have to see where that boat sails, no worries for now. There is a huge difference between great hospital care and just hospital care.

Good luck with that a friend had a motorcycle wreck, his fault, 3 months in the hospital multiple surgery 4million baht. It can happen, one never knows.

21 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Why would I need medical evacuation if Thailand has world-class hospitals and doctors?

Some of us may need to fly to the USA to access Medicare. I am already paying for that,as are many others.

2 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

What  could be more conservative  fiscal policy than to exclude expats from  coverage?

i did not look it up...... but i am pretty sure senators and other "representatives" are covered anywhere in the world by their SPECIAL lifetime insurance.   voted into law by guess who

3 minutes ago, rumak said:

i did not look it up...... but i am pretty sure senators and other "representatives" are covered anywhere in the world by their SPECIAL lifetime insurance.   voted into law by guess who

I think it would be a foregone that offshore  employees of any Government are deemed eligible for home country benefits and protections.  But the question of  such  to expats is  somewhat moot.

33 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Sweet Jesus ! You've gotta be a loon not to see what these low life rodents are doing, i'm just waiting for the list of insurers favoured by immigration, starting with "Prayut and sons"   It's all just another turn of the screw to milk the last drop out of the expat.........

I've been looking around Thailand recently and asking myself what am i doing here now ?  It's not cheap, it's not fun anymore, and the above rodents i've mentioned are multiplying due to there being no head rat catcher anymore.......  A good tip with a sinking ship is to get off it before it goes under, or else you'll be going down with it....... What a shame..... I'm just sorting out my move to Malaysia, i can't wait to get out......

There has been conflicting report on the cost of moving to Malaysia.  Let us know how it works out. 

18 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

The US State Department does not give “friendly” advisories to overseas Americans.  There is always a reason behind it.  To my fellow Americans this a Big Hint:  You will need to purchase health insurance if you are a long term visa holder in Thailand.  Also, when the Health Insurance law becomes comprehensive the Embassy can say “We told you so”,   As an American I have lived in 3 other countries and realized the mission of a US Embassy is not to assist it’s citizens.  Instead it is to promote American businesses.  

Instead it is to promote American businesses.

Things are probably much the same with the Britain & British Embassy.

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

There has been conflicting report on the cost of moving to Malaysia.  Let us know how it works out. 

Fortunately i've wangled a job there so hopefully will be all papered up. I'm sick of playing this game with the rats in immigration...... It's a shame because i've had a great time here, but even the Thais are sick of the present situation....... Typical complete lack of foresight and accountability.....

Again posters trying to do TI's job for them AND generate substantial income for Insurance scams and Hospital overchargers.

Remember that health insurance companies enormous profits rely on paying out a minute fraction of what they get in. When you really need them they won't be there.

100k pa for 400k cover and no cover at all for preconditions or over 75s clearly demonstrates they refuse to take ANY risks.

2 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

I have similar from another BIG company. I doubt the card will be enough but if I go to the website of my insurance company theres a form letter that I can download stating the amount of coverage. I am hoping that will be enough and that Imm will not create a new form of their own that the insurance company must validate.

I am on an extension of stay so still have to wait and see if 400k all year in a bank account would negate the need for insurance coverage validation letters or not. Fingers crossed as I cant take much more beaurocracy needs - enough is enough.

good point, we have all put 400-800k in Thai bank.  i think this is good insurance and could be used in an emergency.  probably more than what a Thai company would pay out.

5 minutes ago, malibukid said:

good point, we have all put 400-800k in Thai bank.  i think this is good insurance and could be used in an emergency.  probably more than what a Thai company would pay out.

That would work if immigration would allow make up payments, otherwise, you spend 1 baht of the 400-800 and your next extension is no longer possible.  Yes for a real emergency but at a cost. 

wonder what the numbers are for the foreigners that skip on their hospital bills?  how does the break down?  tourist? under 40's? expats over 50?  is the Thai government cooking the books in order to justify this new requirement?  manufactured consent and good for business. how about the lie that one needs 65k a month to live here? how was this number arrived at?  i mean why not 45k or even 95k?  does the Thai government think that all expats are drunks who chase hookers?

3 minutes ago, malibukid said:

wonder what the numbers are for the foreigners that skip on their hospital bills?  how does the break down?  tourist? under 40's? expats over 50?  is the Thai government cooking the books in order to justify this new requirement?  manufactured consent and good for business. how about the lie that one needs 65k a month to live here? how was this number arrived at?  i mean why not 45k or even 95k?  does the Thai government think that all expats are drunks who chase hookers?

The Thai government (and the hospitals) don't collect statistics with sufficient granularity to determine what proportion of those who don't pay their bills are retirees. It's just an exercise in scapegoating

19 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

My guess is that if they do have insurance, then a majority have insurance that is not accepted here.

How can you "guess" that? :ermm:. They apparently are studying how to manage foreign insurances. From a previous TV thread: “We are going to discuss with relevant authorities on to how to check the validity of health insurance bought from overseas,”

Archived