US Embassy issues advisory on medical care for tourists, long-stay expats

webfact

4 hours ago, Wake Up said:

Sorry guys. There are lot of good guys on TVF with helpful information, jokes and good conversation. 

But the daily scare mongers, Thai bashers and “ I am smart and they are stupid” and “my home country is great compared to this third world country”  and “ all Thai women are cheats” guys are annoying. IMO they need medication or to sober up, learn to not be afraid, and learn they are not very important in the world. Telling them to leave will not help because they think they are brilliant and have been here so many years. So complaining and criticizing and worry are their only comforts.  Too bad for the rest of us that enjoy this place and don’t suffer from panic attacks or the allusion that  we could move here and could or should change Thai culture. Could the daily bashers just take a few days off and give the rest of us a break please. The world is huge. Thailand and you are a very small part of the world so enjoy what time you have left before you are gone and a distance memory. 

here here !  The daily bombardment of panic stricken posts regarding the IMO slightly changed financial requirements have given me a sore neck from shaking my head in disbelief.   A few scared mongers do continue to go on and on about where to go and what to do etc etc.   The attacks on TI and the thai culture I surely hope are not read by the decision makers.   Like you say there are a lot of good guys here that may have to suffer because of the words of a few.

I don't know what will become of the health insurance regulation and have advised friends to calm down and just wait .  I do not see ( as Joe and others have reported) that it will affect anyone but those with the designated visas mentioned .  But the pages and pages of scare mongering and bashing go on.

So for once i guess i agree with you.

My morning rant was not one against Thailand .  I just had an urge to vent my frustration at the "thought" of being forced to pay for insurance ANYWHERE.   Most things in life up to this point I have been able to

adapt to, either by changing lifestyle or changing LOCATION.   I want to live in peace..... but like an elephant or tiger..... when your habitat keeps getting smaller and smaller extinction is around the corner.

Now that i have written this I will try to forget about it and go back to hoping for rain.  After my nap.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am old enough to remember when most people did not have insurance and a Doctor's visit did not break the bank..Then came insurance, either private or through the employer, and the prices of just about everything became 10X+ more expensive.. The same thing will happen here as there is money to be made from people's suffering.. Give it a few years (20 would be my guess if not sooner) and people will be paying a fortune monthly with big deductibles... Just because the insurance companies and the hospitals can get away with it.. It is a symbiotic relationship.

17 hours ago, Mansell said:

I was just on vacation in Vietnam. That country looks like a good option if things don't work out here. I enjoyed paying much less for very good Mexican and Indian food there. Taxis in DaNang were very cheap and a quick way to get around. I might try to get a long stay in a hotel there as the breakfasts are amazingly good with many options. This was my fourth time there and I actually think it is better than Thailand.....and this mandatory health might be the final straw. Even the wife and kids loved the place, but her working there might not be possible. Everybody spoke to her in Vietnamese as they thought she was one of them. And it was cooler there.

Do you know of an expatriate forum like this one, but for Vietnam? I lived in Saigon in late 1965 and early 1966 and would relocate there in a nano second if need be.

20 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

My guess is that if they do have insurance, then a majority have insurance that is not accepted here.

You and only a dozen other 'glass half-empty' sort of forum members apparently.

30 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

The date on that is three weeks ago. And it is presented as "opinion." When does the US Embassy put out "opinion" on The Nation and not its own website. One more thing, it doesn't even sound like it was written by an American. Not only is it filled with spelling and punctuation errors, it starts out like somebody using British English for an ad agency wrote it: "Sadly, we at the Embassy in Bangkok have seen many instances whereU.S. citizens discover, too late,that essential, high-qualityhealth care is out of financial reach and their options are limited." And at the end there is this: "This article was drafted by the American Citizen Services unit of the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok, part of an advice column for U.S. citizens permanently living in Thailand." Again, since when does the US Embassy put out an advice column on The Nation and not on its embassy website?" Something just does not sound or read right about this.

5 hours ago, Danthai said:

Agree. Retired military should have no problem because it is an excellent benefit for retired military. Not sure Thai Immigration knows much about it, but here in Chiangmai, as I understand it, has a contract with Tricare and bills directly for their part. Also, part if the coverage is the benefit is Coverage 100% coverage after the first $3000 of allowable benefit each year.

Hope the US Embassy can help educate the Thai Immigration about the Tricare coverage for active and retired military.

There are no TRICARE contracts with local hospitals for retired U.S. military medical treatment. The few hospitals in Thailand that may choose to directly bill TRICARE for retired military inpatient treatment do so case-by-case.

17 hours ago, Mansell said:

I was just on vacation in Vietnam. That country looks like a good option if things don't work out here. I enjoyed paying much less for very good Mexican and Indian food there. Taxis in DaNang were very cheap and a quick way to get around. I might try to get a long stay in a hotel there as the breakfasts are amazingly good with many options. This was my fourth time there and I actually think it is better than Thailand.....and this mandatory health might be the final straw. Even the wife and kids loved the place, but her working there might not be possible. Everybody spoke to her in Vietnamese as they thought she was one of them. And it was cooler there.

Did you check out the standard of health care there , interesting that you base the cost of living on what you pay for Mexican and Indian food.

20 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Sometimes it is not the cost, it is the cost vs benefit.  Some of the plans have an asterisk which then says only if you are renewing.  At 79, the chances that he doesn't have preexisting conditions.  400K coverage minus the preexisting conditions doesn't leave much coverage.  In most of the cases for people of the age, the premiums equal the benefits in about 4 years.

I hear what you are saying but it's always the cost.  It is another charge for retiring here.  When it gets more expensive than going home or @#$@!- everyone will go home or @#$%.  My point was I think the guy was just ranting and had not actually checked prices. 

3 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Did you check out the standard of health care there , interesting that you base the cost of living on what you pay for Mexican and Indian food.

For me it was the color of the mud.  Vietnam has red mud.  I can't stand red mud. 

I'm a retired AF Officer and get 100% coverage if I'm hospitalized, Doctor care plus medication 100% if for my heart. Non heart related care and care for my wife is handled under Tri-care where we pay 75%. We use Praram 9 Hospital and they accept 25% payment and bill Tri-Care for the balance. As an old codger I try to take care of myself. At 79 I do not run, play, or chase animals of any variety. I'm surprised I've made it to 79 and happy to be here. If you don't have coverage, work on getting basic coverage.

This thread has raised a few hard facts that expats living in Thailand need to face:

1) Despite a recent forum poll that I posted, it seems that many expats have neither a comprehensive medical insurance policy, not sufficient funds to cover the cost of a major illness/accident, (and no means to replenish those funds either).

2) Many expats seem to be under the illusion that they will stay healthy until the day that they die in their sleep.  Sorry, but life doesn't work that way.

3) Regardless of what visa type (O-A, O etc) will fall under these new health insurance rules, the simple fact is that you either need comprehensive health insurance, lots of $$$ or are able to return to your home country for free medical care - if that is available.

4) Those of you who intend to relocate to Cambodia etc are missing the point!  You should still have the means to cover the costs of hospital stays - just because the visa in Cambodia doesn't make medical insurance/$$$ a requirement for issue of that visa, doesn't mean that everything is going to be fine and dandy after you stick 2 fingers up to Thailand and move to Cambodia - in fact, you're probably at a higher risk of falling ill or having a serious accident LoL.

5) If you're complaining that the available insurance policies don't cover your pre-existing conditions, well welcome to the real world!  Unless those conditions are 'dormant', then why on earth should an insurer cover you for this - the likelyhood of a future claim is high.

6) If you're complaining that you're too old to get cover, (not true anyway), or it's too expensive, well welcome to the real world!!

No-one in this world owes you anything.  You need to face facts and make difficult decisions,.

I'm not gloating at anyone.  Although I do have medical insurance, I don't have the financial means to remain in Thailand after my current visa expires.  I've been here for 18 years, have lost all family ties in the UK, and have no idea what I will do...

But for heavens sake, stop moaning and be man (or woman) enough to recognise that regardless of your visa type, you need to make the difficult decision to ensure that if you are seriously ill/injured etc, you can be cared for in hospital.  That could mean returning to your home country.

Don't put off making that decision in the vain hope that you'll live healthily to 100 years old.

6 minutes ago, simon43 said:

the simple fact is that you either need comprehensive health insurance, lots of $$$ or are able to return to your home country for free medical care - if that is available.

Well, it's not. This topic is advice given to Americans supposedly by the US Embassy. And Americans don't get free medical care, even on Medicare. So it doesn't matter whether they're in Thailand or America. And changing location isn't going to change their circumstances.

...And changing location isn't going to change their circumstances.

All the more reason to ask "when you were buying your house in Thailand and your car etc, where were medical insurance premiums on your list of priorities?"

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

All the more reason to ask "when you were buying your house in Thailand and your car etc, where were medical insurance premiums on your list of priorities?"

Haven't bought a house or a car. My health insurance was paid for by the Thai University that brought me here. Since then, I keep money in the bank--more than the 400K the required insurance policy would pay should it be enacted. So why should I pay out 60K to 70K per year, when that money can keep building in what is my own self-styled Thai Medical IRA and be applied to things that would be denied as exclusions or pre-existing in the required policy?

6 hours ago, fullcave said:

Where did you visit? I'm seriously considering other options as well. Thailand has gone down hill since the control freaks took over. 

I visited Hue, DaNang, and Hoi An. Wife got a taxi in Hoi An, which is pretty touristy, and a ten minute taxi ride was 45 baht......you really don't need a car. Mexican food for four of us was 650 baht, and that included smoothies for the family and a Margarita for me, and this was in the touristy Hoi An.....the Mexican place was full of farang, mostly young people. Had Indian food in Hue and the same price for four of us again. Both of those meals for one person in BKK or Phuket runs around 400 baht.....so much cheaper in Vietnam. A taxi from Hoi An to DaNang airport which is around forty minutes was 411 baht.....the same ride in Phuket where I lived to the airport was a 1,000 baht. Hotels are much nicer than here with amazing buffet breakfasts including a chef cooking eggs to your specs.....big selection of fruit and juices....fresh cooked pastries, and many other things. Staff were great handling anything we threw at them with a smile and style. If I moved there I would try to live in a hotel, well worth it.

If you want...excellent health care, provided at world-class private hospitals by internationally trained doctors... seriously consider Kuala Lumpur, Singapore or Taipei.    

47 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You and only a dozen other 'glass half-empty' sort of forum members apparently.

Back that up with real numbers. And my glass is half full as I have adequate money to pay for everything here, and do have coverage in the US..

So why should I pay out 60K to 70K per year...

Don't ask me - I'm not making the rules.  My previous post merely expresses surprise that so many expats seem to neither have a comprehensive medical insurance policy or sufficient funds to self-fund hospital care, and seem intent on either sticking their heads in the sand, or 'running away' from considering this important topic by relocating to a country where medical insurance cover is not required.

After much thought I have finally decided enough is enough after 17 plus years. I am tired of jumping through the hoops that Thailand now seems to put most of us foreigners through. I have been to several other Asian countries in the last few months to check out the conditions to repatriate to and have made my decision. I wish you all success and happiness in your decisions.

44 minutes ago, Neocon said:

There are no TRICARE contracts with local hospitals for retired U.S. military medical treatment. The few hospitals in Thailand that may choose to directly bill TRICARE for retired military inpatient treatment do so case-by-case.

In my case, I have had 8 surgeries over the past 13 years, most minor except for a valve replacement.  I had to pay 25% of the bill when I was discarded and the Hospital submitted the claim.  This was at Bumrungrad Hospital and I know BNH does it also   If I have met my cap, I will get a direct deposit to my bank account.  I wouldn't use a government hospital for the reason my valve was replaced with a calf valve (which is normal) and if at a government hospital I would be afraid it be a water buffalo valve.

5 hours ago, flexomike said:

I didn't know that are you talking part A, I was under the presumption that no coverage outside of the US or its territories, can you show something that verifies this, would be great to know, Thank You

Medicare does NOT cover you outside of the United States.

10 minutes ago, Small Joke said:
22 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

not to mention what is in the basements of every US Embassy in the world.

That's why we're told not to mention it.

Oh, fuss. I for one am certainly not afraid to te

1 hour ago, Mac98 said:

Solution is for one's home country to pick up the bill to the extent they would any citizen. Cheaper health care here, so why not? I pay every month for Medicare. Four days in government hospital here cost me $500 without insurance. Three days in hospital at home in USA for same level of treatment came to $37,000. The hospital and Medicare are still fighting (3 years) over how much I will pay, saying this or that not covered or not needed. 

the U.S. health care system is broken.  time for overhaul.  included in the new plan coverage for Americans abroad

32 minutes ago, DividendGuy said:

After much thought I have finally decided enough is enough after 17 plus years. I am tired of jumping through the hoops that Thailand now seems to put most of us foreigners through. I have been to several other Asian countries in the last few months to check out the conditions to repatriate to and have made my decision. I wish you all success and happiness in your decisions.

My current visa/extension of stay is on a self destruct timer, no money in a thai bank, no thai insurance and no re-entry permit... yeehaw!  

This sounds a little bit like the debate about the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) in the USA.  Why is anyone requiring us to purchase insurance was the argument in the USA

Most Europeans are probably shaking their heads about this debate because they realize that you better have health insurance or you may be out in the cold when a problem strikes.  Mostly everyone is covered and while we can argue about waiting times, quality of health care etc, the fact is that Europe has significantly fewer bankruptcies due to medical bills than the USA.

I am on a 30-day trip in Thailand at the moment and I bought a 1-month policy in the USA for about $120 to cover me.  If I can not afford the $120, I probably should stay home.

Sometimes, governments have to force people to do the right thing (e.g. seat-belts, no texting while driving, helmets on a motorbike) ???? 

I’ve never been a fan of insurance of any kind, other than motor of course. Medical I believe is the biggest and worst of the insurance businesses. I’ve always just paid for anything I’ve needed to do. Yes I’m aware I’ve been lucky so far but I’m also aware that business is the operative word here and their business model is to pay out as little as possible. If I really have to I’ll get insured, but the way things are going with ever changing rules I may decide to just move elsewhere.

20 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Your particular hospital bills may not have gone over 100,000 but inpatient stays in private hospitals very, very often go not just over 100,000k (vast majority for that) but also well over 1,000,000 baht. We have had members here with bills in excess of 3 million on a single hospitalization - major of course, entailing long ICU stay, specialized surgery and the like. But it happens.

You should be prepared for bills in the 3-4 million range and if you are not,  best consider additional insurance.

I don't know ANYONE in Thailand who has 3-4 million coverage of health insurance.  One friend has the second best BUPA/AETNA policy of 2 million; I have the policy with Outpatient benefits as well, but my limit is only 600k with BUPA/AETNA.

No offense, but your figures sound like scare-mongering.  The friend mentioned above just had open heart surgery ... total bill 1.4 million.  

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

5) If you're complaining that the available insurance policies don't cover your pre-existing conditions, well welcome to the real world!  Unless those conditions are 'dormant', then why on earth should an insurer cover you for this - the likelyhood of a future claim is high.

Everything isn't that black and white.

I have insurance through BUPA/AETNA and have had for the past 16 years.  For the first two years, they excluded my pre-existing condition.  After 2 years, I petitioned for a review, and the exclusion was removed.

I wanted to increase my coverage to a better policy with BUPA/AETNA.  They won't allow me to change without placing the two year exclusion back in effect.  

That makes sense, right??  It is not as clean cut as you might think.

Archived