Maximum 6 months stay

I have 2 tourist visas in my passport and one 30 day visa excempt. Want to go for second 30 day stamp to ranong but visa company telling me its not going to work, can only do 6 months for tourist visa and 30 day stamp together. Is this correct?

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Certainly, there is no official rule that you cannot get a second visa exempt entry by land. However, the visa run company might possibly be aware of an unofficial rule now being applied by Thai immigration in Ranong. There have been no other reports of this, and certainly no such rule was applied there in the past.

• Like 2

I have used this company before but the person I talked to this time I think is new. Either she has wrong information or there was a misunderstanding. It seems really wierd that this would be an absolute rule applied without any consideration all of a sudden. 

3 minutes ago, fishtank said:

No it is not correct.

Do it yourself without their "help"

Dont have a car so i need some "help". Its an easy option, dont need to do anything just step outside the door. 

1 hour ago, fishtank said:

Bus?  Train?  Taxi?

But..much easier to have a minibus pick me up, and have ppl fill out forms etc. There are visa trips for a reason, cost and convenience.

Why go anywhere?  Can't you go to the local immigration office within Thailand and get the 30 day extension for 1900 baht or whatever they charge?  Maybe you are planning to travel and that is why you want to come back through a land border crossing?

I also didn't see anybody reporting any problems like this, so probably the woman is just wrong.

If you want to be safe you could go a day or two before your visa expires and ask the immigration officer at the border if they see any problem of you getting another 30 day visa exempt when you come right back. If he should have a problem with it because of some strange new rule at this border crossing you can still decide to go somewhere else instead.

Yeah it seems so strange. Considering its a crossing used by so many and no reports of any issues. I asked if she has had customers in my situation turned down at border before and she said yes. Her vagueness is even more strange, something is off. Im guessing she is pretending to be knowledgeable.

5 hours ago, Kaalle said:

Yeah it seems so strange. Considering its a crossing used by so many and no reports of any issues. I asked if she has had customers in my situation turned down at border before and she said yes. Her vagueness is even more strange, something is off. Im guessing she is pretending to be knowledgeable.

As you say, strange. There are two conflicting thoughts I have here.

The visa run company would normally have no incentive to discourage you from making the trip unless there was a genuine chance of a problem. After all, it costs the company money if you do not go.

On the other hand, you would expect reports of problems by others if people were being denied border hops at Ranong with 6+ months in Thailand on tourist entries.

It is conceivable that an unofficial local rule has very recently been introduced, and we do not yet have reports of this. Alternatively, it could be a visa run company employee who read something bogus on the Internet, and took it as reliable. After all, there are consulate websites that suggest a six months per year rule exists.

As someone else suggested. I would go a couple of days early. No need to ask immigration if they will let you back in. Unless you have a Myanmar visa, they will not stamp you out unless willing to stamp you back in.

• Like 1

Im going in 2 hours unfortunately. Will report back. If it was in fact enforced recently all she had to do was say so, but she was 100% vague and dismissive, although in near perfect english. Strange is the word...

1 hour ago, Kaalle said:

Packing a bag with laptop and clothes and stuff just in case. Where should i fly from Myanmar to try to secure a tourist visa if this doesnt work out? Is Yangon an option? 

Unless you have a Myanmar visa, you cannot travel onward within Myanmar. For that reason, Thai immigration will not let you leave Thailand unless they are willing to stamp you back in.

Unless you have a Myanmar visa, you cannot travel onward within Myanmar. For that reason, Thai immigration will not let you leave Thailand unless they are willing to stamp you back in.
Ok, so I will leave the bag then. Can make 7 day extension at local immigration office right? And then have some time to arrange flight to somewhere? Already have 1 day overstay maybe should fly out directly tonight.

25 minutes ago, Kaalle said:

Ok, so I will leave the bag then. Can make 7 day extension at local immigration office right? And then have some time to arrange flight to somewhere? Already have 1 day overstay maybe should fly out directly tonight.

Either going for the seven days to leave the country, or leaving immediately by air are reasonable options if the border bounce is refused.

Good luck!

EDIT: You could consider quickly booking a cheap hotel, and getting the seven days to leave the country at Ranong immigration if refused the border bounce. You would likely have time to do this and still get the visa run van back home. I do not think Ranong immigration would agree to process you unless you showed a hotel check in first.

Edited by BritTim

11 hours ago, Kaalle said:

Visa company staff insisting its 50/50 if i will get turned down or not, trying to ask where she get the info and she says its online. Still a bit worried...

Yes, and everything on the internet is to be believed, as is everything a Thai person, who is trying to sell you something, is! 

Seriously, some of the porkies I have heard over the years here. 

Im back, with the stamp fortunatly. I also think i can report some definite change in policy at Ranong immigration...

My short visa history consisting of 2 setv and 1 excempt was indeed an issue as the visa company staff had adviced. Luckily i have a 2 week stay in my home country coming up in july and had ticket printed out and upon presenting this and some smooth talk from the driver my second excempt was ok for them. After this i was briefly asked about my activities in Phuket, if I spoke thai, etc. All this in a friendly relaxed manner though I might add, but also the first time for me in 10 years (at land crossing). The guy who stamped my 1 day overstay missed the initial discussion and once he flicked thru my passport he too reacted instantly when he saw the tourist visas and the 6+ months stay, but the other staff told him it was sorted and off i went to boat. So it seems this is the new deal, ticket out is a must for second visa excempt. Driver hinted Satun might be more relaxed but nothing definitive as far as he was concerned. 

Edited by Kaalle
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kaalle said:

Im back, with the stamp fortunatly. I also think i can report some definite change in policy at Ranong immigration...

My short visa history consisting of 2 setv and 1 excempt was indeed an issue as the visa company staff had adviced. Luckily i have a 2 week stay in my home country coming up in july and had ticket printed out and upon presenting this and some smooth talk from the driver my second excempt was ok for them. After this i was briefly asked about my activities in Phuket, if I spoke thai, etc. All this in a friendly relaxed manner though I might add, but also the first time for me in 10 years (at land crossing). The guy who stamped my 1 day overstay missed the initial discussion and once he flicked thru my passport he too reacted instantly when he saw the tourist visas and the 6+ months stay, but the other staff told him it was sorted and off i went to boat. So it seems this is the new deal, ticket out is a must for second visa excempt. Driver hinted Satun might be more relaxed but nothing definitive as far as he was concerned. 

Thank you for the feedback, and some important information.

I get the feeling that part of the reason you were OK was that the officials decided they like you.