When did you first come to Thailand?

When did you first come to Thailand?  

202 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

24 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Interested to see how long the average member has been here.

This is another question than the thread title?

(at least as I understand)

I have just voted for our first common trip in the 90s, April 94 before Songkran.

Midst into the scorching heat :saai:

Living here since March 2011.

My first visit to Thailand was way back in 1955. However, that was without having any say in the matter as I was just a couple of years old and was part of a family returning to the UK from Singapore. My Dad was stationed there in the early 50's and the air travel back home required a few stopovers, one being an overnight in Bangkok.

That must have left it's mark as my next trip was in 1981. Working in Riyadh gave me the opportunity to head East and I've not been the same since. The Smirnoff advert of the early 80's always comes to my mind when I look back to that time in my life.:happy:

2004....although has its bad points and would leave if could, was still the best move I made. Dont miss that 90 minute commute to work every day, scraping frost of the car in the morning and all the other crap used to get.

1997, when the Asian market crashed. It was cheap as fxxxk. Can't remember what i was getting from sterling to baht but it was good. 2 weeks in bangkok then headed to samui and the islands. Then returned 2 times a year until 2001. Then returned 2013, fxxxk its changed.

1981 first visit
1982 opened a bar in Pattaya
Learned a lot that year. Lol
1987 Visit Thailand Year changed everything with short time tourists.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Came to Bangkok to meet my brand new Thai wife's parents.  Had already met her two brothers who were students in the US like she was.  

Stayed for two months and had a great time.  Later lived in Bangkok for quite a few years.  Now primarily a visitor for a few months a year.  

My first trip was in 2002 for work.  I made at least 4-6 trips every year for business.  Moved here and worked in our Bangkok office in 2014 (the day of the latest coup). Was reassigned to the US in 2015. Retired and permanently moved to Chiang Rai in 2018.

First came on holiday with Mum & Dad when I was about 10 years old (during the late 70's).    Came many times during the 80's and a bit during the 90's. 

Got headhunted to work here in 2008. 

Archived