What is the difference between a non-immigrant (O-A) visa and a retirement visa?

Chalk and cheese.

A visa is issued outside Thailand, except in the case of conversion from some other stamp of entry to allow a conversion to an extension of stay. ( Non O single entry ) issued locally.1

Example

I've never hsd an extension of stay since early 90's, only visas issued outside of Thailand even when working because when the job ( contract ) finished I kept the 'visa' unlike an extension of stay that finishes the day you stop work.

As I've said before, you can call a goose a big chicken but it isn't, it's a goose. ????????

Edit.

I've never done a 90 day report at the local Imm' office.

Edited by overherebc
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Non-rs, you are not allowed to "research, or training, or teaching"

More probably he has a NON-RE with bad writing :wink:

It's what they gave me when I transferred my Visa to Non-O to get Retirement Extension.

5 hours ago, Rally123 said:

Any stamp in ones passport giving permission of stay is legally called a 'Visa'. Call it what you want but it's still a 'Visa'. 

So how do you define a visa waver?

It allows you to stay in Thailand for 30 days but it he name by your definition says it is not a visa. 

36 minutes ago, Geordie59 said:

So how do you define a visa waver?

It allows you to stay in Thailand for 30 days but it he name by your definition says it is not a visa. 

There is no Visa Waver.

You are probably referring to a Visa Exempt Entry.

6 hours ago, Rally123 said:

Any stamp in ones passport giving permission of stay is legally called a 'Visa'. Call it what you want but it's still a 'Visa'. 

Visa is a document your present the the IO at the border to allow you to enter the country. How long you can stay in the country is decided by the IO and an entry stamp in your passport should say so. In some instances, they may not even mention the date, that means you are allowed to stay to the maximum number of days allowed by the law for your your passport country. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

In reality there is no retirement visa. I suspect you have an extension of stay based upon retirement issued by immigration that is not a visa of any kind.

A OA is a special visa issued by embassies and consulate for being 50 or over.

My original visa issued before I left my home country was a non immigrant category B after three months it was revised to retirement.

8 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Everyone that has an "Extension of Stay" has a visa. Period.

The initial Visa granted entry into the country for a temporary period. When that period expired, you applied for an Extension of the temporary stay granted by that visa.

NO Visa = NO Extension of Stay.

That is why when you get a new passport, Immigration "transfers" the visa (and Extension) from your old passport. The first 2 pages of my current passport are taken up by the stamps needed to "transfer" the Visa (and Extension) from my previous passport to the new one.

That is why, at Jomtien, I have to include a photocopy of that page when I renew my Extension as they want to see the VISA (or the transfer stamps).

That is why when you apply for a new Extension of Stay, you have to fill in the part that says "Type of Visa" on the form.
That is why the Tm.7 form is titled "APPLICATION FOR EXTENSION OF TEMPORARY STAY IN THE KINGDOM". You are applying to extend the temporary stay initially granted by the Visa.
The Visa hasn't "expired". The length of stay initially permitted by it has.

That is why, if you leave the country without getting a Re-Entry permit - your VISA is voided and as previously mentioned - No Visa=No Extension.

That is why if someone is busted and being deported, they (sometimes) note that their VISA was cancelled. They may deny an "Extension of Temporary Stay" but if they are going to deport you, they cancel your VISA.

You are not here on an "Extension of Stay".

You are here because you have a visa and have been able to extend the stay granted by that Visa.

I think you are wrong....An extension to stay is all it is, not a Visa...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rally123 said:

The 'legal' definition I looked up is:

An official endorsement on a passport or other document required to secure an alien's admission to a country.

• Like 1

Everyone that has an "Extension of Stay" has a visa. Period.

The initial Visa granted entry into the country for a temporary period. When that period expired, you applied for an Extension of the temporary stay granted by that visa.

NO Visa = NO Extension of Stay.

That is why when you get a new passport, Immigration "transfers" the visa (and Extension) from your old passport. The first 2 pages of my current passport are taken up by the stamps needed to "transfer" the Visa (and Extension) from my previous passport to the new one.

That is why, at Jomtien, I have to include a photocopy of that page when I renew my Extension as they want to see the VISA (or the transfer stamps).

That is why when you apply for a new Extension of Stay, you have to fill in the part that says "Type of Visa" on the form.
That is why the Tm.7 form is titled "APPLICATION FOR EXTENSION OF TEMPORARY STAY IN THE KINGDOM". You are applying to extend the temporary stay initially granted by the Visa.
The Visa hasn't "expired". The length of stay initially permitted by it has.

That is why, if you leave the country without getting a Re-Entry permit - your VISA is voided and as previously mentioned - No Visa=No Extension.

That is why if someone is busted and being deported, they (sometimes) note that their VISA was cancelled. They may deny an "Extension of Temporary Stay" but if they are going to deport you, they cancel your VISA.

You are not here on an "Extension of Stay".

You are here because you have a visa and have been able to extend the stay granted by that Visa.
You couldn't be more wrong, as countless other people on this thread and others have explained.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

The permission to stay is issued by the immigration officer while considering your visa (or nationality if you have no visa). It is not granted by the visa.

Visas have a fixed limited validity and CAN NEVER BE EXTENDED they expire or are used, they do not grant entry. That is the IOs function.

A permission to stay is not a visa and can be extended.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Rally123 said:

To be more precise and technical: "the visa" is what you originally received at a Thai consulate/embassy abroad and which allowed you to stay in Thailand for 3 months in order to apply for a one-year extention of same on grounds of retirement...

1 minute ago, AsiaCheese said:

To be more precise and technical: "the visa" is what you originally received at a Thai consulate/embassy abroad and which allowed you to stay in Thailand for 3 months in order to apply for a one-year extention of same on grounds of retirement...

To be even more precise "the visa" suggested to the admitting border Immigration officer that deciding that a 3 month permission to stay was the correct period in your case. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, rott said:

Extension of permission to stay is not an extension of a visa..

It is an extension of stay, it is not a visa. Which is why the stamp does not say visa.

The original entry using the visa gives permission to stay. Thereafter every extension is extension of the preceding permission to stay

• Like 1