What is the difference between a non-immigrant (O-A) visa and a retirement visa?

I entered on a 30 days permission to stay then applied for a retirement VISA. My Visa was issued by Thai Immigration CW and is a proper stand alone VISA stamped type 'O' and headed VISA. I have posted photos several times in the past because of all the arguments that all Visas must be issued out of country. The type O VISA issued by immigration is the only Visa issued in country and is normally for retirement. The Visa gets stamped "USED" within a few minutes of issue and then you are given an extension based on retirement stamp VISA Type: O-RE 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

The original entry using the visa gives permission to stay. Thereafter every extension is extension of the preceding permission to stay

It is an extension of permission to stay. Not a visa.

Which is why the stamp in the passport describes it as a stay permit not a visa and does not refer to the original visa.

2 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

I also think that people get confused because their extension of stay is stamped on the Visa page of their passport. 

In my case, it is stamped on the next available page

• Like 1

In 15 years, at Immigration, before in Pattaya now in Jomtien, I used one time the expression :

"Extention of permission to stay, please"

at the desk to the guy who was (is?) there since years.

Confused expression.

I told him then "Retirement Visa please".

I got a ticket. 

Since then I always use the expression :

"Retirement Visa"

at Immigration. 

They are wrong, but I am not going to try to explain it to them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

In 15 years, at Immigration, before in Pattaya now in Jomtien, I used one time the expression :

Confused expression.

I got a ticket. 

"Retirement Visa"

at Immigration. 

Didn't you tell him to read ThaiVisa?

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Confused expression.

I got a ticket. 

"Retirement Visa"

at Immigration. 

If you just ask for an "extension of permission to stay" then the guy will be confused, he doesn't know what your current stay is, visa exempt, tourist, retire, marriage etc, or why you want to extend it. (there are separate counters for each type of extension of stay)

Most people would specify the type of extension and be fully understood, retire extension please, marriage extension please.

Ask for a retirement visa a good chance they will give you a ticket for the counter that does the O visa (retire) for conversion to an extension.

Edited by Peterw42

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The permission to stay is issued by the immigration officer while considering your visa (or nationality if you have no visa). It is not granted by the visa.

Visas have a fixed limited validity and CAN NEVER BE EXTENDED they expire or are used, they do not grant entry. That is the IOs function.

A permission to stay is not a visa and can be extended.

Technically re-newed not extented. ????

Tomato’s tomatoes potato potatoes.

we are all retired and got a mark in our passport to prove it. The end.

but I do agree with Thaibunny. The Thai embassy in Australia call the O-A a retirement visa ...go figure

Edited by ianezy0

I have an Extension of stay based on marriage. ..several years.

But I always get a multi - entry permit for the full 1 year at the same time as renewing the Extension.

Funnily you will see on an Arrival card a small box labelled Visa.

I was told nicely by the airport IO that the number required to be entered here was the handwritten "number" on  the re-entry permit.

THIS he said is your "visa" !!

Works fine.

Just now, orchidfan said:

I have an Extension of stay based on marriage. ..several years.

But I always get a multi - entry permit for the full 1 year at the same time as renewing the Extension.

Funnily you will see on an Arrival card a small box labelled Visa.

I was told nicely by the airport IO that the number required to be entered here was the handwritten "number" on  the re-entry permit.

THIS he said is your "visa" !!

Works fine.

You'll find that it's the more obsessive types who drone on and on and on about "extension NOT visa". As far as the Thais are concerned it's a distinction without a difference https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distinction_without_a_difference

To all those posting that they have a one year retirement visa issued by Immigration in Thailand I suggest the following. As a one year visa doesn't require a re-entry permit then go for a weekend break in Vietnam or somewhere, return to Thailand and explain to the IO at the airport that he should stamp you in for 90 days because you have a one year retirement visa issued here. 

Please post on here what the result is.

NB.

I'm not referring to a one year visa issued outside of Thailand, only your one year visa issued locally.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Geordie59 said:

So how do you define a visa waver?

It allows you to stay in Thailand for 30 days but it he name by your definition says it is not a visa. 

There is no such thing. It’s a visa waiver... ????????

The word "Retirement" stamped on a Visa or an Extension of Stay is nothing more than a nickname - handy to use when talking back and forth.

The Non Imm O-A Multi-Entry is in fact a Visa. On the face it says One Year, but in actuality it is good for up to 2 years / 24 months without an Extension of Stay being issued. One just Exits and Re-enters Thailand a day or two before the First Year Expiry... one is then stamped back into Thailand within a day or two of 12 more months - total of a 24 month stay.. At the end of the 2nd year one can go to Immigration and file an Extension of Stay One Year - the same as others do with the Extension of an O visa they had once years ago. 

OR - the Expat can go back to his Home Country and file again at the Thai Consulate for another O-A Visa and start the cycle again.

1 hour ago, ianezy0 said:

Tomato’s tomatoes potato potatoes.

we are all retired and got a mark in our passport to prove it. The end.

but I do agree with Thaibunny. The Thai embassy in Australia call the O-A a retirement visa ...go figure

They do not wish to confuse the know nothings, so they dumb down to the lowest common denominator and word it so all can understand. Much the same as the "Sun" and "Star" newspapers (amongst others) do in the UK.

If what is in the passport does not say visa, then it is unlikely to be a visa.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Ask for a retirement visa a good chance they will give you a ticket for the counter that does the O visa (retire) for conversion to an extension.

Indeed maybe in another immigration office. 

But since many years I am dealing with an office where you have to say :

"Retirement Visa" & "Marriage Visa". 

Not a big deal for me to say what they want, even if it is Incorrect. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

The word 'extension' is a tongue twister for Thais.

Although at My IO they often use the word 'Visa', they appear to know the difference.

A friend recently wanted a 60 day extension to visit his Thai wife.

He asked for a 60 day Visa and the IO stated he'd have to apply at a Thai Embassy for a Visa.

He got there eventually.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

You dont "have to say" Retirement visa, I deal with the same office. 

Walk in like everyone else and say "retirement extension please" and they will give you a ticket for the desk that does retirement extensions.

It appears you walk in every year and ask for the wrong thing and every year they manage to understand what you mean, you are still asking for the wrong thing, every year.

You could walk in and ask for a thingamybob that lets you stay another year, a good chance the guy will understand you and give you a ticket for the extension desk.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

Visa in latin languages is "Visto", which simply means "Seen".
It is therefore a mention by a representative of the government of the issuing country (a consule) who is better located and have more time available to conduct a research on the subject and inform the immigration officer at the border that the subject has been "seen" (checked) and is ok to enter the country. Obviously the visa grants no rights whatsoever, it's an intra government device to facilitate the work of the border checks. If I have a visa and the immigration finds me unacceptable they will not let me in.
From this we should then deduce how to explain the Visa Exemption, and the extensions, which are not Visa Extensions but Permissions to Extend your Stay.
This is also proven by the fact that often one is permitted to stay beyond the validity of the visa, but mot beyond the validity of the entry stamp (unless an extension is granted).
Languages are live matter, and when translations come in meanings change. Also money and diplomatic stuff makes everything more complex.
So it's well possible that official channels call an extension of stay a Visa Extension. It is also possible that a Peruvian consule in China grants me a visa to visit Peru regardless of their inability to conduct any checks on me.
Love this stuff.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

you are still asking for the wrong thing, every year.

I did it one time, what I think was correct and the guy didn't understood me. 

Now since the last 13 years I say "Retirement Visa" and everything goes quick and smoothly.

But to please you I will try next year as you say. 

Much ado about nothing in my opinion. 

What's in a word. 

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

According to immigration It is an extension 

IMG_7411.PNG.51d1d76c0fedcb5b981e2cd6326bd2c4.PNG

Does that mean that Technically you are wrong?????

Just going on the lines that you have to season money every time you apply for your next extension.

Sounds like a new extension as you will also need a new re-entry permit to go with your new extension. Old re-entry dies with your old extension.