BANGKOK
snoop1130

Drought remains amid rainy-season kick-off, with below-mean rainfall expected through mid-July

It rained at my place in Cha Am last night

Sorry it was the dog taking a leak :wai:

• Haha 1

On 5/20/2019 at 5:56 PM, RotMahKid said:

They even can't predict the weather for the next day and now they know what will happen till August and September. We will see 555

No. They do  not  know. But using  global satellite imaging of weather patterns etc are advising probability.

It is  easy to scoff  but  the reality is that it gives  warning to  people  about the impact.

Drought is a serious  factor not only for agricultural areas although  more disasterous in terms  of financial viability. Bangkok residents  maybe  can be smug about the water in the taps derived  from the  local river but smaller centres dependent on resevoirs across  greater Thailand including  tourist  areas are already suffering. In the  north east   many  villages  already  have limited  supply and resevoirs  are  empty.

• Thanks 1

By this time last year here in CM we had more rain than the year before. A bit of rain here today lost power for about one hour, rain but not much around Chiang Mai gate maybe more up on the mountain

18 hours ago, billd766 said:

At 10 minutes to 6 this evening the wind got up from the south west and the rain came down in   bucket loads at about 30 degrees from normal. I got soaked closing the downstairs shutters. At least the wind has eased off a bit.

My rain fed pond is about 1 metre deep this morning.

Here are a couple of updates on large and medium reservoirs at 7 am this morning.

If you click on the dam nearest you and run the cursor across you can see the status on a given date and you can also look up previous years.

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_dam_1.php?lang=en

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/show_sm_dam.php?lang=en

17 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

No. They do  not  know. But using  global satellite imaging of weather patterns etc are advising probability.

Correct, all they can do is give vague probabilities, its amusing how many folks like to mock the weather forecast! As a large country with so many variances in climate impossible to give accurate predictions, its all about computer power and inputting data, why would they spend $$$ on mega computers inputting data for Nakhon Nowhere when they can be buying toys for the boys.

On 5/20/2019 at 5:38 PM, snoop1130 said:

The department predicted the period between June and mid-July would see only a small amount of rainfall over Thailand

My screwed logic is telling me to go buy water in preparation for major flooding.

• Haha 1

Perhaps if they didn't waste water and stopped treating it like is a renewable resource they would have plenty of water. I have seen pipes broken here in NE that remain unfixed and running for weeks at a time with the village having no water and no one seems to give a rodents rectum about it.

On 5/21/2019 at 6:05 PM, billd766 said:

At 10 minutes to 6 this evening the wind got up from the south west and the rain came down in   bucket loads at about 30 degrees from normal. I got soaked closing the downstairs shutters. At least the wind has eased off a bit.

On 5/21/2019 at 6:40 PM, billd766 said:

It has just stopped here after about 45 minutes.

I'd pace myself if I were you Bild, the rainy season is due to last until October!😂

• Like 1