Drought remains amid rainy-season kick-off, with below-mean rainfall expected through mid-July

snoop1130

Drought remains amid rainy-season kick-off, with below-mean rainfall expected through mid-July

By Prasit Tangprasert 
The Nation

9f6f7c6179e96cbb212a31bf06952fad.jpeg

File photo

Thailand officially entered the rainy season on Monday, even as Nakhon Ratchasima noted its “still-critical” drought situation with five dams and 23 medium-sized reservoirs holding only approximately 30 per cent of their water capacity, while 52 villages in nine districts were short of water for consumption and use.

Regional Irrigation Office 8 Nakhon Ratchasima director Kitatisak Nookaew on Monday noted that Lam Takong Dam now contained 174 million cubic metres of water or 55.48 per cent of its capacity, while Lum Phra Ploeng Reservoir contained only 27 million cubic metres or 17.96 per cent of its capacity.

The Upper Mun Reservoir was at 44 million cubic metres or 31.88 per cent of capacity, while 23 medium-sized reservoirs held a combined 101 million cubic metres of water or about 30 per cent of their total capacity, he added.

A source at the Nakhon Ratchasima Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office said that 52 villages in 21 tambons of nine provinces had suffered a water shortage for consumption and use. Of them, 35 villages in Sung Noen, Chalerm Phrakiat and Phra Thongkham districts were declared drought disaster zones so far and were entitled to compensation.

The Thai Meteorological Department meanwhile announced that the rainy season had begun on May 20 and would end around mid-October. This year’s rainy season will have less rain (at 5-10 per cent below the mean) than the previous year (which was itself 3 per cent below the mean).

The department predicted the period between June and mid-July would see only a small amount of rainfall over Thailand, resulting in insufficient water for farming. The hardest-hit areas would be those outside irrigation zones. The department said heavy rains would come during August and September, posing the risk of floods.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369687

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-05-20

16 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

They even can't predict the weather for the next day and now they know what will happen till August and September. We will see 555

The Thai Meteorological Department predicted April to be hotter than previous years and I have to admit this was the case. 

Blue skies and blazing hot again today in Cha Am. We've had only a couple of days with any rain this month, so no chance of getting anywhere near Bangkok's notional May monthly average of more than two weeks of downpours. Mind you, we do generally tend to get less rain than our big brother 167 clicks up the road. With ever-increasing tourist numbers, we're keeping our fingers crossed. . . 

Average rainy days (rain/snow) in Bangkok, Thailand   Copyright © 2019 www.weather-and-climate.com

At 10 minutes to 6 this evening the wind got up from the south west and the rain came down in   bucket loads at about 30 degrees from normal. I got soaked closing the downstairs shutters. At least the wind has eased off a bit.

On 5/20/2019 at 5:56 PM, RotMahKid said:

They even can't predict the weather for the next day and now they know what will happen till August and September. We will see 555

No. They do  not  know. But using  global satellite imaging of weather patterns etc are advising probability.

It is  easy to scoff  but  the reality is that it gives  warning to  people  about the impact.

Drought is a serious  factor not only for agricultural areas although  more disasterous in terms  of financial viability. Bangkok residents  maybe  can be smug about the water in the taps derived  from the  local river but smaller centres dependent on resevoirs across  greater Thailand including  tourist  areas are already suffering. In the  north east   many  villages  already  have limited  supply and resevoirs  are  empty.

By this time last year here in CM we had more rain than the year before. A bit of rain here today lost power for about one hour, rain but not much around Chiang Mai gate maybe more up on the mountain

18 hours ago, billd766 said:

At 10 minutes to 6 this evening the wind got up from the south west and the rain came down in   bucket loads at about 30 degrees from normal. I got soaked closing the downstairs shutters. At least the wind has eased off a bit.

My rain fed pond is about 1 metre deep this morning.

Here are a couple of updates on large and medium reservoirs at 7 am this morning.

If you click on the dam nearest you and run the cursor across you can see the status on a given date and you can also look up previous years.

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_dam_1.php?lang=en

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/show_sm_dam.php?lang=en

17 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

No. They do  not  know. But using  global satellite imaging of weather patterns etc are advising probability.

Correct, all they can do is give vague probabilities, its amusing how many folks like to mock the weather forecast! As a large country with so many variances in climate impossible to give accurate predictions, its all about computer power and inputting data, why would they spend $$$ on mega computers inputting data for Nakhon Nowhere when they can be buying toys for the boys.

On 5/20/2019 at 5:38 PM, snoop1130 said:

The department predicted the period between June and mid-July would see only a small amount of rainfall over Thailand

My screwed logic is telling me to go buy water in preparation for major flooding.

Perhaps if they didn't waste water and stopped treating it like is a renewable resource they would have plenty of water. I have seen pipes broken here in NE that remain unfixed and running for weeks at a time with the village having no water and no one seems to give a rodents rectum about it.

On 5/21/2019 at 6:05 PM, billd766 said:

On 5/21/2019 at 6:40 PM, billd766 said:

It has just stopped here after about 45 minutes.

I'd pace myself if I were you Bild, the rainy season is due to last until October!????

Archived