What would make you leave thailand? If drinks became illegal? or girls?

4 hours ago, Denim said:

With the temperature constantly hovering around the 40 degree mark I have been spending too much time in our air con bedroom because even the living room is about 32.

You need to acclimatise.

Get up at dawn, go for a walk, do some gardening, at 12:30pm I'm still fine with just a fan blowing on me.

Set your air-con on 30c, plenty cool enough for the afternoon and night.

1 hour ago, CM Dad said:

Unlike many of the posters on this thread, I am not here for either sex or booze.  I support my Thai family and simply want to be able to continue to do so.

You don't have sex with your Thai wife?

Takes all sorts I suppose.

4 hours ago, Denim said:

If there is one thing that might eventually lead to my leaving it is the rising temperatures.

I realized yesterday that over the last couple of months I have been living like a troglodyte. 

With the temperature constantly hovering around the 40 degree mark I have been spending too much time in our air con bedroom because even the living room is about 32.

Many plants in the garden are either dead or have badly scorched leaves.

The front lawn is looking very sad.

Even the soi dogs are nowhere to be seen having all found some dark corner to hide in.

Don't even get a decent cool season any more. 

By contrast we recently spent 3 weeks on the Isle of Wight. The weather was glorious throughout, around 25 every day. We walked miles on woodland footpaths and along Sandy beaches. Lost weight and blood pressure went down. Wine and good food every day.

Only drawback is the cost of housing and utilities. Dirt cheap here, cost a murder there.

i was there for the Festival in 70, great place

18 hours ago, DingDongLing said:

list as many as u want

girls booze "cheap" family

1) if the girls quit smiling; 2) if massages increased 10 fold in price; 3) if they declared what you do behind closed doors IS their business. In short, if it became just like home.

20 hours ago, DingDongLing said:

What would make you leave thailand? If drinks became illegal? or girls?

I can't imagine Thais accepting no booze and no karaoke girls...:whistling:

–so I don't think its a viable option...????

However, I can easily survive without booze, and a mia noi, or a couple of gigs, might still be a valid option...????
PS: I also enjoy a relaxing two-hour massage...????

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You need to acclimatise.

Get up at dawn, go for a walk, do some gardening, at 12:30pm I'm still fine with just a fan blowing on me.

Set your air-con on 30c, plenty cool enough for the afternoon and night.

Well, I've been acclimatizing for 40 years but this years hot season has upped the anti. We only have the one air con because we are generally ok . But this year has been a scorcher.

The news reports several types of crops in various provinces have failed this year because of the heat.

I am a keen gardener but now can only do an hour and a half from 5.00 pm onwards. Despite generous watering one tree has died and several have burnt leaves from the hot air.

I used to get up early and go out on the bike at 7.00 but recently been doing DIY during these hours and by the time I'm done its too hot.

The pictures are from our garden. Never had trees over powered by the heat until this year. But it may be that next year is back to normal. Time will tell.

P_20190428_170006.jpg

P_20190428_165946.jpg

P_20190521_142034_vHDR_On.jpg

If my wife left me I'd leave tomorrow. Although I enjoy living here very much it is getting a lot more expensive compared to neighbouring countries. I really am thinking of trying China instead. I'm becoming more and more fascinated in China and it's people.

10 hours ago, Happystance said:

I'm glad I don't think this way. I couldn't care less 10 mins one way or the other. I care about the quality of the massage.

Think about it: you are letting 10 minutes ruin your experience, of a 200/300 baht massage? 

Let that soak in:

A whole 35/50 baht!

Not a fight I've any interest in joining.

I go get a massage, leave feeling great, never bother to even glance at the time.

Well worth the money without all the negative thinking...

Why don't you just modify the tip if you feel shorted?

That way you can actually enjoy the massage process.

I agree with him, its about being cheated.  Or the mentality of getting over the stupid falang.   They are just lazy when they do that since it hurts their tips.  The massage money goes to the spa.  

If I pay for an hour, I expect an hour, not 45 mins.  You guys need to stop enabling it.  

Use the timer on your phone and show them.  Even if you look at the time, sometimes they try to cheat it by remembering wrong.  

1 hour ago, Wilsonandson said:

If my wife left me I'd leave tomorrow. Although I enjoy living here very much it is getting a lot more expensive compared to neighbouring countries. I really am thinking of trying China instead. I'm becoming more and more fascinated in China and it's people.

lol why?  Tourists busloads of them have. . . .. ........

Financial reasons would probably be the only reason for me to leave Thailand.  I have a good monthly income, but scant savings in the bank.  That might (will?) make for a major headache when the time comes to renew my Elite visa or to drop 800,000 baht in the bank to get a retirement/O visa.

Under those circumstances, I can't imagine moving back to the UK, gone too long from old Blighty.  I would either hop over the Mekong to live in Laos (my preference), move back to Myanmar (my second choice), or move to Cambodia.

As for beer and women, I have up on those years ago.  Now I sip lime-flavoured water whilst pleasuring myself...

On 5/20/2019 at 7:36 PM, Puchaiyank said:

Quality living at a reasonable price, ease of movement in this country as well as being able to leave and return free of stringent immigration demands...being able to visit a friend overnight in another Thai city without having to report to immigration police like a criminal...a decent healthcare policy at a reasonable price...a stable reasonable immigration policy that does not make punitive demands on expats...ability to purchase small amounts of land that can be sold by the expat...less corruption at all levels of society...and OMG! Some actual "incentives" for retirees to want to settle and invest here.

The strength of the retirement visa rests with Thai bootie...if you took away the women...who mostly are Thai men's rejects...this country would have little to offer retirees...and the sorry azz absentee father would be forced to honor their responsibility.    ????

Did it ever occur to you that Thailand spends countless hours thinking up inane hoops for expats...yet their own culture has so many glaring inequities that they totally ignore. 

You nailed it for me, well stated!...LOVE it here...better than my wildest imagination fueled with unlimited amount of money.  

Now if the beer and booty were removed, I'd say those are my deal breakers.  Otherwise, the deadliest roads in the world and high suicide/mortality rates are cheap entertainment, stuff that movies are made of....Can't make it up even on heroin if I tried...a thrill a minute here.????

- 50% less rent, so if that became much more suddenly it would be a reason. (doubt that, likely cheaper)
- Even more complications around visa marriage/child and/or privacy, reporting requirements.
- If everything continue as now, as it will become boring with many businesses closing, fewer expats, more crime. (CM became very very boring)

- If I would constantly be bothered in the public to show my Passport or ID.
- If EUR THB doesn't bounce back from this point and goes lower (south of EU is cheaper).

So I guess it is likely we will eventually leave.

What kind of details? Non of my Indonesian friends complain vociferously about the shortage of either.

NB. There are 70 million people in Thailand and how many "girls" . There are 270 million and counting in Indonesia so how many girls do you think there are?

17 hours ago, DingDongLing said:

I agree with him, its about being cheated.  Or the mentality of getting over the stupid falang.   They are just lazy when they do that since it hurts their tips.  The massage money goes to the spa.  

If I pay for an hour, I expect an hour, not 45 mins.  You guys need to stop enabling it.  

Use the timer on your phone and show them.  Even if you look at the time, sometimes they try to cheat it by remembering wrong.  

Just say, "I tip for full hour."

Archived