Huawei Tablet When Will It Stop?

marcusarelus

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, shady86 said:
10 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:
When will Android and Google apps stop working on my Huawei tablet?

It will continue to work, just no more os and security updates unless Huawei prepares their own os.

How about Utube and gmail? Still work but no upgrades?

9 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Throw it in the toilet bowl, that way Beijing won't be able to listen to your subversive activities.

No. It is the other way around. America can listen to your subversive activities on all of your devices. But they have a problem doing that to a Huawei device 'cos it lacks the back door.

8 minutes ago, jobsworth said:

No. It is the other way around. America can listen to your subversive activities on all of your devices. But they have a problem doing that to a Huawei device 'cos it lacks the back door.

All the evidence is that Huawei software does have backdoors; the question is whether they're deliberate or a result of poor software design

Just now, ThaiBunny said:

All the evidence is that Huawei software does have backdoors; the question is whether they're deliberate or a result of poor software design

Deliberate most probably; but I'll bet the US companies - & all the rest, do something very similar.

It's not about 'backdoors' I don't think, more likely competition. Huawei, do make good devices, & most probably, the US, don't want a Chinese company being successful with these devices.

47 minutes ago, faraday said:

Deliberate most probably; but I'll bet the US companies - & all the rest, do something very similar.

It's not about 'backdoors' I don't think, more likely competition. Huawei, do make good devices, & most probably, the US, don't want a Chinese company being successful with these devices.

US companies made the Chinese the success they are today. How many US companies actually manufacture the Phones, Tablets, PC's Notebooks that they sell? Perhaps a handful.. 

Huawei makes decent products, but has not have any real success in the US market.

The one thing US Tech companies want from Huawei is their 5G technology. 

In theory google could sell

some license to some limited versions but then what happens to Huawei laptops? Microsoft should also be stopping their service ?

mind you Huawei laptops are some of the best in all aspects 

1 hour ago, faraday said:

Personally I think the security concerns are just a cover for the real reason, which is that Huawei has been very aggressive in stealing US technology. A lot of their devices and software closely imitates Apple products and iOS. It's just very hard to prove that Huawei did it, and impossible in a Chinese Court (BMW lost it's case for a blatant copy of their X5). 

So using the "security concerns" excuse is an easy way to punish Huawei. Plus it gives US companies cover from direct repercussions from China. If Apple sued Huawei in court, China would likely block Apple from the market. Google is already blocked in China, so they don't have a big dog in this fight.

14 minutes ago, phkauf said:

Personally I think the security concerns are just a cover for the real reason, which is that Huawei has been very aggressive in stealing US technology. A lot of their devices and software closely imitates Apple products and iOS. It's just very hard to prove that Huawei did it, and impossible in a Chinese Court (BMW lost it's case for a blatant copy of their X5). 

So using the "security concerns" excuse is an easy way to punish Huawei. Plus it gives US companies cover from direct repercussions from China. If Apple sued Huawei in court, China would likely block Apple from the market. Google is already blocked in China, so they don't have a big dog in this fight.

Huawei didn't steal a software, because they use either Android (Google) or Microsoft, and certainly not Apple technology. 

Having said that, they all copy each other, just remember the big fights between Apple and Samsung... 

The problem for the US is that Huawei is able to provide good devices for much cheaper than Apple (the next Nokia) and that the quickly declining empire is not anymore able to put up a technical and economic fight, so it resorts to brute force which all it has left... for now... 

There's a bigger context to this than just what Huawei does or doesn't do with its phones and tablets. It involves an alleged pattern of illegal conduct by the company itself on the international scene, including trying to evade U.S. sanctions on Iran.

On Dec. 1 Canadian police officers arrested Ms. Meng at the request of the United States, infuriating China. In January, the United States unveiled an indictment against Ms. Meng and Huawei, outlining what it said were the company’s efforts stretching over many years to steal trade secrets, obstruct a criminal investigation and evade American economic sanctions on Iran.

With Ms. Meng’s extradition still pending, two Huawei subsidiaries pleaded not guilty on Thursday to fraud, trade secrets conspiracy and other charges in Seattle. A trial date was set for March 2020.

Both the Seattle case and the extradition case involve charges by American officials that the company stole part of a smartphone testing robot known as Tappy from a T-Mobile lab in Bellevue, Wash., sometime before 2014.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/01/world/canada/huawei-meng-wanzhou-extradition.html

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There's a bigger context to this than just what Huawei does or doesn't do with its phones and tablets. It involves an alleged pattern of illegal conduct by the company itself on the international scene, including trying to evade U.S. sanctions on Iran.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/01/world/canada/huawei-meng-wanzhou-extradition.html

It's my wife looking at dog utubes. 

On the issue of Chinese made phones and tablets, it's worth reading up on a past case involving the smaller BLU mobile phone brand in the U.S., which sells Chinese made mobiles. And six models of their phones were discovered to have a backdoor that allowed some shady company in China to basically track every call and SMS made from the phones, among other things.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/360789/phone-maker-blu-gets-wrist-slap-over-chinese-spyware

And there have been other similar episodes as well related to phones made by Chinese suppliers for international markets.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2019/03/finland-nokia-android-illegal-china-privacy.html

The Finnish government is on the verge of starting an official investigation into HMD Global's [Nokia] Android smartphones over allegations they breached the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation by sending certain identifiable information to China, Ombudsman Reijo Aarnio said earlier today.

Now, expand those kinds of episodes to having companies like Huawei provide national 5G mobile and internet networking gear around the world, and you can see the potential for Chinese spying and espionage.

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

On the issue of Chinese made phones and tablets, it's worth reading up on a past case involving the smaller BLU mobile phone brand in the U.S., which sells Chinese made mobiles. And six models of their phones were discovered to have a backdoor that allowed some shady company in China to basically track every call and SMS made from the phones, among other things.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/360789/phone-maker-blu-gets-wrist-slap-over-chinese-spyware

And there have been other similar episodes as well related to phones made by Chinese suppliers for international markets.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2019/03/finland-nokia-android-illegal-china-privacy.html

This thread is about my wife watching dog videos.  I bought her the cheapest and best tablet to do that.  I didn't look at the political issues involved.  Mitsubishi made Zero aeroplanes in WWII and I'm sure is still up to no good.  

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

This thread is about my wife watching dog videos.  I bought her the cheapest and best tablet to do that.  I didn't look at the political issues involved.  Mitsubishi made Zero aeroplanes in WWII and I'm sure is still up to no good.  

You're not the only one in this thread who may have a Huawei device... And other owners / user may not limit their use of those devices to watching YouTube dog videos.

People posting about how Huawei makes good / cheap devices need to be aware there's a potential darker side to the equation.

Archived