Huawei Tablet When Will It Stop?

marcusarelus

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You're not the only one in this thread who may have a Huawei device... And other owners / user may not limit their use of those devices to watching YouTube dog videos.

It's my thread.  Want to talk about politics start your own thread and don't steal mine. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's not just politics... It's also the question of whether a particular Chinese brand's mobile devices are safe and secure for their users to use.

Safe and secure?  ha ha ha.  The Chinese government can have everything my wife posts.  No problem. 

47 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

On the issue of Chinese made phones and tablets, it's worth reading up on a past case involving the smaller BLU mobile phone brand in the U.S., which sells Chinese made mobiles. And six models of their phones were discovered to have a backdoor that allowed some shady company in China to basically track every call and SMS made from the phones, among other things.

There is a shady US agency called NSA which does exactly the same with the active collaboration of US companies such as Apple and Google... 

A typical case of do as I say, not as I do... 

Anyone who's had a device which becomes incompatible with Play Services knows what's coming for the OP.

It ain't pretty.

You'll have to flash a custom ROM, or wait for Huwaei to push their own custom ROM based on AOSP.

It won't be a brick, but forget about Youtube, Drive, Chrome, Play Store, Apps (even side-loading).

Suspect developers will try work-arounds. Some may work. 

Pray Store.

12 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Anyone who's had a device which becomes incompatible with Play Services knows what's coming for the OP.

It ain't pretty.

You'll have to flash a custom ROM, or wait for Huwaei to push their own custom ROM based on AOSP.

It won't be a brick, but forget about Youtube, Drive, Chrome, Play Store, Apps (even side-loading).

Pray Store.

Not true of course, ????.  Since posting I have done some investigation.  The phones that we all love and posses now will still maintain all of the google and android things. 

15 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

It ain't pretty.

Pray Store.

They could always switch to Microsoft.it will be windows phone 

Depends where you are, when the wife and I were in Hong Kong last month, most of our Google apps stopped working, or as our guide explained " Google is outlaw in China. " Wife has a Huawei P20, still works fine when were in the States and no problems here in Chiang Mai. I prefer Samsung. 

6 hours ago, luckyluke said:

I paid less than 10000 for a 

Y9/2019 JKM-LX2. 

So far, so good. 

Got a Y9, 2018 last year (!) for less than Bht 7k. Absolutely great, no problems with anything. 

If they stop upgrades should I care? It's perfect as it is.

34 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Huawei has it's own app store.

Not true.  Boy you guys are easy to fool.  If you have a phone now it will still work and still get the google and android updates. But that's what I get for asking for facts on Thaivisa.  I should have looked it up myself. 

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Not true.  Boy you guys are easy to fool.  If you have a phone now it will still work and still get the google and android updates. But that's what I get for asking for facts on Thaivisa.  I should have looked it up myself. 

yes, you should have.

ignorance is no bar to authority here.

everyone an expert.

Google currently licenses Huawei services such as the Play Store, Gmail, Google Maps and other Google apps. The ban means that Google won’t be able to license those services to new Huawei devices. Google has said, though, that Google’s services will still function on existing Huawei devices.

Will Huawei phones still get Android updates?

Yes. Android system updates, once they’re made available to AOSP, will be available for Huawei phones. The difference is that Huawei will lose its early access to Android updates. Huawei will have to push these updates to its users itself and adapt them for its personalised user interface, which may take months. Slower updates has always been the case and is common with other Android manufacturers - but this may slow things up further.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaymcgregor/2019/05/20/huawei-android-ban-what-it-means-for-your-phone/#1d8f4c9461b1

11 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

yes, you should have.

ignorance is no bar to authority here.

everyone an expert.

Well, the wife was kidding me.  She said, "we can give it to my sister."  We give her sister's family all my tech errors.  TV's, phones, computers, tablets and so on.  They are quite well equipped with smart watches as I bought 5 and still don't have what I really want. 

Here's another good article from Ars Technica on the same subject, with basically the same key points:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/05/google-reportedly-ends-business-with-huawei-will-cut-it-off-from-play-store/

Google issued only a terse one-liner, saying "We are complying with the order and reviewing the implications." On Twitter, the company's official Android account was a bit friendlier, saying "For Huawei users' questions regarding our steps to comply w/ the recent US government actions: We assure you while we are complying with all US gov't requirements, services like Google Play & security from Google Play Protect will keep functioning on your existing Huawei device."

But Huawei's future phone and tablet devices will be a whole different matter, 

the next version of its smartphones outside of China will also lose access to popular applications and services including the Google Play Store and Gmail app..... The real killer is the loss of the Google Play Store and Google Play Services, which unlocks access to the billions of Android apps and popular Google apps like Gmail and Maps. Reuters claims this will only happen to "the next version" of Huawei's smartphones, presumably meaning existing devices with the Play Store will continue to work.

Some of the options are listed in this thread...

Very few of them are good.

Again, if you've ever had a device which was blacklisted you'd know what one might expect.

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-revoke-huawei-android-ban-blacklist/

Fundamentally, the only way Huawei can now continue using Android onto its smartphones is building its own custom version of Android using AOSP (Android Open Source Project) code, exactly how developers of custom ROMs do. Unlike custom ROMs, however, Huawei might not be able to strap GApps along with the package without going unnoticed by Google.

All in all, the situation is really bad for Huawei. The only plausible options it has for now is to either finally start rolling out its own operating system that it has reportedly been working on, in the anticipation of the day when the U.S. finally obstructs its usage of Android. That might be a challenging shift since most Huawei users are habitual of Android and the Google ecosystem. But, so long as the operating system resembles Android in terms of experience and allows the installation of Google apps, it should be useful. However, we haven’t seen any previews yet, which means that it might not be ready for use just yet.

Alternatively, Huawei could continue to tinker with Android and use AOSP builds to continue providing EMUI updates. However, in that case, it will not be able to support Google Play Services and other Google apps. This will limit the users to rely on Huawei’s AppGallery, which has a relatively smaller number of apps, even though that wouldn’t resolve the issue with Google apps.

It looks like a valid additional piece of news on this topic was removed... So I'm going to repost it without the original added comment I made on the subject:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/trump-huawei-ban-temporary-extension-granted-a8922916.html

Chinese technology giant Huawei has been granted a 90-day temporary license to maintain its networks and continue dealing with UScompanies, scaling back the restrictions imposed last week when the company was added to a blacklist by the White House.

The US Commerce Department will allow Huawei to purchase US-made goods in order to maintain existing networks and provide software updates to existing Huawei handsets.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-plans-temporary-exemptions-to-huawei-blacklist-11558397319

U.S. officials said Monday they would grant a handful of temporary exceptions to an export blacklist against Huawei Technologies Co., giving some suppliers and customers of China’s telecom giant a 90-day reprieve from tough trade penalties.

In an order scheduled to be published on Wednesday, the Commerce Department said it would grant a temporary license for U.S. exports to Huawei and dozens of its affiliates. The U.S. issued the blacklist order last week on grounds that Huawei was a national security threat.

16 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Got a Y9, 2018 last year (!) for less than Bht 7k. Absolutely great, no problems with anything. 

If they stop upgrades should I care? It's perfect as it is.

Y9 2019 are available for 5600baht at Lazada

16 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Well, the wife was kidding me.  She said, "we can give it to my sister."  We give her sister's family all my tech errors.  TV's, phones, computers, tablets and so on.  They are quite well equipped with smart watches as I bought 5 and still don't have what I really want. 

So tell me what you want, what you really really want !    LOL

On 5/20/2019 at 5:23 PM, jobsworth said:

No. It is the other way around. America can listen to your subversive activities on all of your devices. But they have a problem doing that to a Huawei device 'cos it lacks the back door.

There is too much disarray in America. Nothing to fear. 

50 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

So tell me what you want, what you really really want !    LOL

Honor Band 4 AMOLED Smart Watch Touch Screen 0.95 inch Waterproof Wristband Heart Rate Tracker Honor BAND Smartwatch Swimming Tracker SCIENTIFIC SLEEP MONITORING HEART RATE MONITORING SWIM STROKE RECOGNITION 

With blood pressure reading.  I don't see why that's not on the thing to begin with. 

On 5/20/2019 at 9:55 PM, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Throw it in the toilet bowl, that way Beijing won't be able to listen to your subversive activities.

I gave one away but not for that reason but because it blocked me from using VPN.

On 5/21/2019 at 4:21 PM, mtls2005 said:

It ain't pretty.

Pray Store.

They could always switch to Microsoft.it will be windows phone .

Microsoft stopped selling Huawei products but has remained silent if it will revoke license .

google license has been extended by 3 months to August.

i have a feeling once the hype is over, all will return to normal but perhaps Huawei will have to pay license fee to google and google may limit some access.

too many people around the globe are using Huawei products, some groups could easily file lawsuit against US and will win compensation for having to buy new phones, this would run into billions of dollars . 

Archived