BANGKOK 19 August 2019 18:29
marcusarelus

Huawei Tablet When Will It Stop?

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You're not the only one in this thread who may have a Huawei device... And other owners / user may not limit their use of those devices to watching YouTube dog videos.

It's my thread.  Want to talk about politics start your own thread and don't steal mine. 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

It's not just politics... It's also the question of whether a particular Chinese brand's mobile devices are safe and secure for their users to use.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's not just politics... It's also the question of whether a particular Chinese brand's mobile devices are safe and secure for their users to use.

Safe and secure?  ha ha ha.  The Chinese government can have everything my wife posts.  No problem. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

On the issue of Chinese made phones and tablets, it's worth reading up on a past case involving the smaller BLU mobile phone brand in the U.S., which sells Chinese made mobiles. And six models of their phones were discovered to have a backdoor that allowed some shady company in China to basically track every call and SMS made from the phones, among other things.

There is a shady US agency called NSA which does exactly the same with the active collaboration of US companies such as Apple and Google... 

A typical case of do as I say, not as I do... 

• Like 2

Anyone who's had a device which becomes incompatible with Play Services knows what's coming for the OP.

It ain't pretty.

You'll have to flash a custom ROM, or wait for Huwaei to push their own custom ROM based on AOSP.

It won't be a brick, but forget about Youtube, Drive, Chrome, Play Store, Apps (even side-loading).

Suspect developers will try work-arounds. Some may work. 

Pray Store.

12 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Anyone who's had a device which becomes incompatible with Play Services knows what's coming for the OP.

It ain't pretty.

You'll have to flash a custom ROM, or wait for Huwaei to push their own custom ROM based on AOSP.

It won't be a brick, but forget about Youtube, Drive, Chrome, Play Store, Apps (even side-loading).

Pray Store.

Not true of course, 🤣.  Since posting I have done some investigation.  The phones that we all love and posses now will still maintain all of the google and android things. 

• Like 1

Huawei has it's own app store.

15 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

It ain't pretty.

Pray Store.

They could always switch to Microsoft.it will be windows phone 

Depends where you are, when the wife and I were in Hong Kong last month, most of our Google apps stopped working, or as our guide explained " Google is outlaw in China. " Wife has a Huawei P20, still works fine when were in the States and no problems here in Chiang Mai. I prefer Samsung. 

6 hours ago, luckyluke said:

I paid less than 10000 for a 

Y9/2019 JKM-LX2. 

So far, so good. 

Got a Y9, 2018 last year (!) for less than Bht 7k. Absolutely great, no problems with anything. 

If they stop upgrades should I care? It's perfect as it is.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

CNN is reporting Huawei phones will become a brick. 

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Huawei has it's own app store.

Not true.  Boy you guys are easy to fool.  If you have a phone now it will still work and still get the google and android updates. But that's what I get for asking for facts on Thaivisa.  I should have looked it up myself. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Not true.  Boy you guys are easy to fool.  If you have a phone now it will still work and still get the google and android updates. But that's what I get for asking for facts on Thaivisa.  I should have looked it up myself. 

yes, you should have.

ignorance is no bar to authority here.

everyone an expert.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Google currently licenses Huawei services such as the Play Store, Gmail, Google Maps and other Google apps. The ban means that Google won’t be able to license those services to new Huawei devices. Google has said, though, that Google’s services will still function on existing Huawei devices.

Will Huawei phones still get Android updates?

Yes. Android system updates, once they’re made available to AOSP, will be available for Huawei phones. The difference is that Huawei will lose its early access to Android updates. Huawei will have to push these updates to its users itself and adapt them for its personalised user interface, which may take months. Slower updates has always been the case and is common with other Android manufacturers - but this may slow things up further.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaymcgregor/2019/05/20/huawei-android-ban-what-it-means-for-your-phone/#1d8f4c9461b1