Western tourists in Nakhon Si Thammarat City - where are they?

JimHuaHin

Greetings.

My step daughter is studying at a university in Nakhon Si Thammarat district.

At the end of last week her lecturer told her class that each member of the class had to personally find and interview 5 farang (not Asian!!!) tourists in Nakhon Si Thammarat (NST) district before 25 May!!!

She and her class mates have had no luck in finding any farang tourists in NST district over the past 3 days.

Can anyone please advise where and what time of the day is a good location and time to find farang tourists in NST District, preferably in the city area, at this time of the year.

Many thanks in advance.

Jim

Agree with RotBenz, there are a few around the big temple there. Also a few farang wandering around the new central mall although they might not be genuine tourists ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

"At the end of last week her lecturer told her class that each member of the class had to personally find and interview 5 farang (not Asian!!!) tourists in Nakhon Si Thammarat (NST) district before 25 May!!!"

I have been "interviewed" myself a couple of times. It would have been interesting if the OP had explained the purpose of this exercise?

12 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

The temple Wat Phra Mahathat Woramahawihan is a popular tourist attraction. If it's to hot, try mc donalds.

Thanks RotBenz8888; we have been Wat Phra Mahathat Woramahawihan three times in the past 2 years.  Never saw any other farangs there, but lots of Chinese.  McDonalds sounds good.

12 hours ago, Pimak said:

Agree with RotBenz, there are a few around the big temple there. Also a few farang wandering around the new central mall although they might not be genuine tourists ????

Thank you Pimak.  We have been to Central Plaza a few times, and the only farangs we have seen there have been with Thai wives or girl friends.  But worth a try.

45 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

"At the end of last week her lecturer told her class that each member of the class had to personally find and interview 5 farang (not Asian!!!) tourists in Nakhon Si Thammarat (NST) district before 25 May!!!"

I have been "interviewed" myself a couple of times. It would have been interesting if the OP had explained the purpose of this exercise?

My apologies dotpoom - we had just returned late yesterday from a few days in Bangkok when I received the message from my step daughter via her mother.  It was late, I was very tired and not thinking clearly.

The apparent purpose of the interviews is to "obtain an idea of farang tourist behaviour in NST".  To which I replied, "what does the lecturer mean by 'farang tourist behaviour'?." Response - no idea, she (the Thai lecturer) did not explain.  TIT.

Best bet is train station area and the hotels east of it. Or camp out at the National Museum, Wat Mahathat or Suchart Subsin's shadow puppetry place. I've always seen a few backpackers poking around when in Nakhon, but then again that was always Nov-Feb high season time. 

In my many years in Thailand, I have only been there once. Of my friends, only one has been there. It's just not really place people go. Most tourists haven't heard of it, and if you asked them what there was to see, those who had heard of it, probably still wouldn't have much to say. Not saying it's not a nice place (although it was/is the murder capital of Thailand apparently), just saying it's not really well know for anything.

3 hours ago, dluek said:

Best bet is train station area and the hotels east of it. Or camp out at the National Museum, Wat Mahathat or Suchart Subsin's shadow puppetry place. I've always seen a few backpackers poking around when in Nakhon, but then again that was always Nov-Feb high season time. 

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

2 hours ago, Katipo said:

In my many years in Thailand, I have only been there once. Of my friends, only one has been there. It's just not really place people go. Most tourists haven't heard of it, and if you asked them what there was to see, those who had heard of it, probably still wouldn't have much to say. Not saying it's not a nice place (although it was/is the murder capital of Thailand apparently), just saying it's not really well know for anything.

Agreed.

I have never seen many Westerners in the city.  Even in the 1980s when I visited for a few days, I never saw another farang.

I pass through there occasionally, but seldom see any other farang.

I wish I could get 100 baht for every time I've had to do one of these interviews, though!

The worst is Samila Beach in Songkhla Town, where there are many, many schools. It's almost impossible to walk the strand for five minutes without having a pack of high school students approach for an interview request.

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2019 at 9:45 PM, JimHuaHin said:

My apologies dotpoom - we had just returned late yesterday from a few days in Bangkok when I received the message from my step daughter via her mother.  It was late, I was very tired and not thinking clearly.

The apparent purpose of the interviews is to "obtain an idea of farang tourist behaviour in NST".  To which I replied, "what does the lecturer mean by 'farang tourist behaviour'?." Response - no idea, she (the Thai lecturer) did not explain.  TIT.

Wow, seems like quite a loaded question.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

5 genuine in tourists in 1 day would be nearly impossible in town.

Occasionaly I spot out of towners with backpacks walking around chinese district & sahathai

The only way this is possible is at the airport, success 100%

Archived