Moving to Ko Samui

So I’m moving to Ko samui next month. A few questions.. would greatly appreciate if you can answer any of the following... 

1. What essentials should I bring with me? What is hard to get on the island?  

2. Is it safe? Will my place likely be broken into? 

3. Is a budget of 45,000 a month realistic? I will be living alone. 

4. What is there to do in the rainy season?

5. Is it easy to make friends with other expats in their 20s, 30s?

6. What is the health care like? How much is basic health insurance? 

7. What are the benefits of Ko samui over Phuket for example?

Did you ever stay there for at least a month or two continuously?

Moving sounds like something permanent and I can't imagine that is a good idea when you have to ask above questions.

Living on an island sounds like a dream but in Thailand islands are more expensive and because of limited choices life is more difficult than in "open" areas.

7 hours ago, Jigglypuff said:

1 - nothing really..probably better to huy what you need as and when you realise you need it. Personal electronic stuff...computer phone etc...there is not a great range on the island although most of the main chain stores are here.

2 - The place is in general very safe and burglaries are much rarer than in the West. Don't lose all sense of responsibility though.

3 - You can rent a nice 1 or 2 b/r house from 8 to 12 thousand baht. So 45 k will allow you to live quite well if you have a reasonably frugal lifestyle and eat local foods.

4 - life goes on in the wet, which is patchy from May to October but you lose have of the cool dry season with a really wet November and December. Samui is a lot wetter than much of Thailand and flooding is common as are the concomitant power outages at that time of year.

5 - Samui is not really Thailand, the island has a massive resident and semi-resident foreigner population. There are loads of bars clubs and organisations that cater for their needs...... it should be easy to make friends, however superficial.

6 - OK there are several large hospitals on the island offering healthcare at various price levels and competency. In fact regardless of how much insurance you have, you are unlikely ever to be fully covered and even the most expensive healthcare can end up as little more than a lottery. Don't be beguiled by flashy furniture, uniforms and machinery....its all face like a lot of Thailand. The occasional patch on a cut or basic antibiotic is very cheap from a local clinic or pharmacy........ but once in the clutches of somewhere like Bangkok Samui, your bank account will hemorrhage like a stuck pig.

7 - Samui is in general still more rural than Phuket, which is nowadays little more than a city. Samui is an hour or more from the mainland so it is truly an island life. That said, it is still very developed and quite without planning or infrastructure........ unregulated building has all but obscured the very best beaches. The rubbish tip fiasco has been an island sore point for over 8 years and only now are measures been taken to clear it....lord knows what pollution will be left behind. Roads on Samui are dreadfully engineered and as a result quite dangerous. Phuket has a much more sophisticated network based on European ideas.

The main conurbation on Samui, Chaweng, has gone from island paradise to beach city in 2 decades.

But depending on where you settle there are still some more rural patches.... for the time being.....where groups of foreigners huddle round a bamboo bar by a small beach, hoping no one will find them.

Nathon is the only remnant of a real Thai town on the island. The rest are just centres for holidaymakers.

All the main supermarkets have a presence on the island..... Tescos, Big C and Tops.

Thanks for your reply. Nope never visited. It’s not practical for me to do that.

I can always leave if I don’t like it. Nothing is permanent. But sometimes you have to take a risk and go for it... 

Samui is a tourist island and more expensive than many other places in Thailand. Phuket is also expensive. Probable almost anywhere in Thailand (except even smaller islands) is cheaper than these two places. You will survive on 45k but you will get a lot more value for it in other places. I.e. Pattaya and surrounding is a lot cheaper and has more options (not only for the nightlife).

Thanks for your reply. Nope never visited. It’s not practical for me to do that.

I can always leave if I don’t like it. Nothing is permanent. But sometimes you have to take a risk and go for it... 

As you said just go for it. Come over and visit, don't get a long term rental at first. Try out the different parts of the island to see what suits you best. Markets and shops have all you need so don't worry about that. Lots of ways to meet others your age, just like back home, at the gym, bar, etc. Rainy season is fairly short where it rains long enough to keep you inside. But with internet not an issue. 

2 hours ago, wilcopops said:

1 - nothing really..probably better to huy what you need as and when you realise you need it. Personal electronic stuff...computer phone etc...there is not a great range on the island although most of the main chain stores are here.

2 - The place is in general very safe and burglaries are much rarer than in the West. Don't lose all sense of responsibility though.

3 - You can rent a nice 1 or 2 b/r house from 8 to 12 thousand baht. So 45 k will allow you to live quite well if you have a reasonably frugal lifestyle and eat local foods.

4 - life goes on in the wet, which is patchy from May to October but you lose have of the cool dry season with a really wet November and December. Samui is a lot wetter than much of Thailand and flooding is common as are the concomitant power outages at that time of year.

5 - Samui is not really Thailand, the island has a massive resident and semi-resident foreigner population. There are loads of bars clubs and organisations that cater for their needs...... it should be easy to make friends, however superficial.

6 - OK there are several large hospitals on the island offering healthcare at various price levels and competency. In fact regardless of how much insurance you have, you are unlikely ever to be fully covered and even the most expensive healthcare can end up as little more than a lottery. Don't be beguiled by flashy furniture, uniforms and machinery....its all face like a lot of Thailand. The occasional patch on a cut or basic antibiotic is very cheap from a local clinic or pharmacy........ but once in the clutches of somewhere like Bangkok Samui, your bank account will hemorrhage like a stuck pig.

7 - Samui is in general still more rural than Phuket, which is nowadays little more than a city. Samui is an hour or more from the mainland so it is truly an island life. That said, it is still very developed and quite without planning or infrastructure........ unregulated building has all but obscured the very best beaches. The rubbish tip fiasco has been an island sore point for over 8 years and only now are measures been taken to clear it....lord knows what pollution will be left behind. Roads on Samui are dreadfully engineered and as a result quite dangerous. Phuket has a much more sophisticated network based on European ideas.

The main conurbation on Samui, Chaweng, has gone from island paradise to beach city in 2 decades.

But depending on where you settle there are still some more rural patches.... for the time being.....where groups of foreigners huddle round a bamboo bar by a small beach, hoping no one will find them.

Nathon is the only remnant of a real Thai town on the island. The rest are just centres for holidaymakers.

All the main supermarkets have a presence on the island..... Tescos, Big C and Tops.

Thank you so much for taking the time to type all this- very helpful.

Healthcare is a worry. Particularly with the bad roads and risk of traffic accidents. 

Yeah the pollution/rubbish thing does concern me. Hmm. 

Do people cycle around the island? I’m a bit concerned about getting a scooter as I have not got experience and don’t have the best balance or co-ordination at the best of times. I guess renting a car would be out of my budget.. 

I know a lot of people are saying Samui is over developed, touristy, etc etc but unfortunately I still need to work. I’m not able to retire to a quiet beach town with nothing going on.

Bangkok doesn’t appeal. I don’t like cities and love beaches. Living near to the sea has always been my dream. Pattaya seems a bit seedy for me, but maybe that just what I’ve heard. 

Ko Samui sounds like a good mix of developed and Tropical Thailand but i am a little worried about feeling “trapped” on an island due to expensive over priced flights.  

Also how often do you get spiders and other large creepy crawlies in your house? May seem a silly question but I’m not a huge fan of sharing my space with giant six or eight legged friends. Well I don’t mind if they stay hidden away. 

10 minutes ago, Jigglypuff said:

I know a lot of people are saying Samui is over developed, touristy, etc etc but unfortunately I still need to work. I’m not able to retire to a quiet beach town with nothing going on.

I hope you realise you wont be able to work legally. And given your age (I presume 20s-30s as per OP) will need to be doing border runs for visa etc. Being on an island will add to the travel/expense.

Day to day life would/could be similar in Phuket, Pattaya, Hua Hin. 

2 hours ago, Jigglypuff said:

often do you get spiders and other large creepy crawlies in your house?

I live in a wooden house in a relatively rural area and gat far less creepy-crawlies than I did in Oz or even UK. ... almost none in fact

However there are scorpions centipedes and snakes (even King Cobras) that can be dangerous. This isn't really much different from any other part of Thailand.Fortunately, Samui has its own self appointed snake rescue man....a Brit who really knows his stuff.

i am a little worried about feeling “trapped” on an island due to expensive over priced flights.  

Flights aren't the only way on and off the island. There are many ferries to the mainland(1.5 hours) and other islands and Chumphon.

However it is an expense and an inconvenience at times putting hours on any trip you may plan. I for one definitely get stir crazy from time to time.

PS flights from mainland Suratthani are considerably cheaper than direct flights to/from Samui.

3 hours ago, Jigglypuff said:

Do people cycle around the island? I’m a bit concerned about getting a scooter as I have not got experience and don’t have the best balance or co-ordination at the best of times. I guess renting a car would be out of my budget.. 

People cycle but the main roads are narrow and very hilly. Motorists on Samui seem to have scant respect for cyclists.

You need to be a proficient scooter/motorcyclist to be safe anywhere on Thailand and in particular on Samui. Quite part from the unusual ways Thai people drive there is a whole army of idiot tourists on Samui that seem to have left their road safety manuals along with there brains at home. .... and what brains they have left, they seem determined to spread over the asphalt on Samui.

You can rent a motorbike for less than 100 baht a day, hut you probably wont have any insurance. Yiu also need a valid motorcycle licence from your home country and probably an IDP...... not that half the population bothers...... yiu will aldo need to buy a decent crash helmet.

Car rental can be about 10 to 12k per month..... some DO have good insurance. Even on 45 k per month it could be a possibility.

Whatever you rent, DON'T give them your passport, it's the hallmark of a dodgy company

5 hours ago, hoxman said:

Rainy season is fairly short

Rainy season us one of the longest in Thailand....it gets a double whammy in November and December, when the rest of the country is enjoying the cool dry season.

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I still need to work

Work for foreigners in Thailand is pretty restricted to industry experts and English teachers.

On Samui it is the tourist, hotel and catering industry and some schools colleges that employ the most. Occasionally some have their own businesses. You are unlikely to be able to pick up casual work, least of all legally.

I suspect looking at your "salary", you've been offered a teaching job? In which case they will sort out your visa and work permit.

Digital nomads seem to go largely undetected.

11 minutes ago, wilcopops said:
3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I still need to work

Work for foreigners in Thailand is pretty restricted to industry experts and English teachers.

On Samui it is the tourist, hotel and catering industry and some schools colleges that employ the most. Occasionally some have their own businesses. You are unlikely to be able to pick up casual work, least of all legally.

I suspect looking at your "salary", you've been offered a teaching job? In which case they will sort out your visa and work permit.

Digital nomads seem to go largely undetected.

You have misquoted, I didnt say "I still need to work" or quote a salary, the OP said that.

14 hours ago, Jigglypuff said:

would greatly appreciate if you can answer any of the following... 

The only thing I find hard to get on the island is a "cheese cutter", and spare strings for the same. Everything else I need can be found locally now – quite different from the first few years I visited Samui, and also a period right after I "moved" to here – and few items not easily accessable, or with limited assortment, can be found on Thai Internet shop "Lazada", and arrive within a few days.

Billedresultat for osteskærer

In general its safe, but there have been few cases about someone that broke into other's places. It might also be a question of where you stay, the neighbors, and that you don't flash that there are easy access valuable in your "home".

Budget is like a rubber-string, depending of life-style. Some foreigners can life from next-to-nothing, like many Thais, others can easily spend a minor fortune in no time (relative, "minor" might be a major fortune for some of us).

In general you can "survive" – if not fine, then Okay – for 45,000 baht a month; however, if you wish to live Western-style, if might be about same living costs as living in a Western country.

If you don't drink (too much), don't smoke (too much) – you don't mention your gender, so it might not be valid to say "don't invite too many ladies home" – and eat more local food than imported food, you can live well for 45k baht a month, counting ca. 1/3 for a home (rent/electricity/Internet); 1/3 for food (about 500 baht a day in average); and 1/3 for others (you might consider transportation, eventually renting a motorbike for a few thousand baht a month).

Officially rainy season is from mid April till early Januar – rainy season will however begin end of May this year, according to the Thai meteorological Institute – but its not really raining, some refreshing showers. Heavy rain comes from around mid October, and can last till mid January, that is the monsoon-season. Its not raining every day, you can have excellent calm weather with lots of sun, but it can be a week, or up to two weeks, with rain; and when its raining, its raining a lot.

There are almost about the same "to do" as when its not raining, apart from some outdoor activities, and outdoor sport – and the sea might not be swim-able or passable due to waves – its depending of your interests. Pubs are open to meet friends; Internet mostly available during rain (power breaks can appear); the island has two cinemas with 6 rooms, so an English-language film might be an option, or the challenge for enjoying a genuine Thai-movie (often with ghosts); if the island is not flooded then a visit to the nightlife is still possible and enjoy some live-music and discos; also evening and night markets are normally open.

Its easy, if you are open for friendship – you might also find Thai friends within that age-range – some younger people stay here on Work Permit-extensions, and some study Thai-language, and some might manage to stay here as expats on other conditions.

If you are into sport like football, or running, or biking, you could join some of those groups, they might include younger folks.

However, there are lots of young people coming to the island as tourists, or for long holidays, especially Chaweng Beach is where they mingle. Its worth visiting the night life there, where there are a variety of places to meet fellow young folks, for example at the beach parties, or in the popular pubs – to mention a few, for example Ark Bar's Wednesday or Friday beach party in central Chaweng area, The Beach Bar in Chaweng Noi, Henry's Out of Africa, and like pubs in the central area, some with live-bands – or visit a few discos like Green Mango Club, or Hush. Numerous of the expats also come these places, but if working, or studying, its just like in one's home country, you might not head of in the nightlife every night, but a few week-ends a month.

The health care, or rather the hospitals are excellent.

There is a government hospital in Nathon, "Samui Hospital", which is fine and affordable, and for a relative small surcharge you can have a VIP-room that levels what private hospitals offers.

There are four private hospitals: Bandon Hospital in Bo Phut (next to BigC); Thai International Hospital in Bo Phut (opposite Tesco-Lotus); Samui International Hospital in Chaweng (northern end of Beach Road); and Bangkok Samui Hospital in Chaweng Noi (by the Ring Road).
Health insurance are depending of age and coverage, but obtainable from around 15,000 baht a year; however the coverage at that premium range might be financially limited to government hospitals only.
In another post you mentioned, that you are going to work on the island. Your employer might offer you Thai "Social Security", which includes health care. If your employer don't offer Social Security – for example are schools excepted – you can still join Social Security voluntarily. The US SS have a good description of Thai SS here. If you are covered by SS you might not need a health insurance.

Depending of who you ask.

For me, there are no comparison – little rude said, Phuket is an over flocked package tourist destination, however depending of where on Phuket you stay, and in which levels you mingle – Samui is still a Bounty-style-coconut-palm-paradise-island, however depending of where on Samui you stay, and in which levels you mingle.
Benefits for my life-style, which mean looked through my eyes only: An island with limited access due to ferry, and relative expensive air fares; numerous beautiful beaches and ocean views; fairly unspoiled nature in the middle of the island; a great party-life for younger folks (like me...????); a fairly relaxed life-style; not too big a community; never too warm, and never too cold; little less average annual downpour than Phuket with 3-month heavy rainy season, whilst Phuket has 5-month heavy rainy season.
Negative point: Traffic, which however is also a negative point on Phuket, but one get used to it, and one know when to avoid heading out in rush-hours.

????

Wow thank you for the replies, in particular KhunPer- so much information. Thank you! 

I don’t need to live Western style - I have simple tastes and lifestyle, love Thai food, but occasionally may need a western fix. 

And a cheese cutter... erm can’t say I’ve ever owned one I just use a knife or hands so think i’ll be okay! Haha. 

Seems like healthcare can be taken care of. If I develop a serious condition I can always move back home, I’m more concerned about getting in a car accident or something and not having the funds to get sorted. 

One more query.. What about decent coffee? I am a coffee lover and need my daily cup or three. If I bring a cafetière/French press is it ways enough to get coffee for it? Do cafes have good coffee? 

Thank you soo much!! 

Wow thank you for the replies, in particular KhunPer- so much information. Thank you! 

I don’t need to live Western style - I have simple tastes and lifestyle, love Thai food, but occasionally may need a western fix. 

And a cheese cutter... erm can’t say I’ve ever owned one I just use a knife or hands so think i’ll be okay! Haha. 

Seems like healthcare can be taken care of. If I develop a serious condition I can always move back home, I’m more concerned about getting in a car accident or something and not having the funds to get sorted. 

One more query.. What about decent coffee? I am a coffee lover and need my daily cup or three. If I bring a cafetière/French press is it ways enough to get coffee for it? Do cafes have good coffee? 

Thank you soo much!! 

Coffee is OK but not GREAT ...... there is of course Starbucks and things lick that and a couple of French boulangeries. I don't drink much coffee in Thailand, but in Laos it's a different matter - proper French coffee.

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

The health care, or rather the hospitals are excellent.

No they are not - healthcare in Thailand in general is a lottery - anyone with even the slightest medical knowledge will notiv=ce procedural flaws as soon as they enter any hospital here. There is no GP system, no proper emergency services and the doctors are amazingly under-trained.

As you're young health insurance is going to be cheap for you. 

Calculate 1500 / month on that. 

You can get good coffee depending on your taste, you have hundred of restaurants from every corner of the world on the island. 

Starbucks is NOT classified as good coffee. 

As for rainy season, for me it's mid Oct - mid Dec. 

January - May, dry lucky to get a shower. 

May - Oct, half hour shower usually at sunset. 

As for getting a legal job, forget it. 

You have to have income from abroad or own a business. 

5 hours ago, Jigglypuff said:

There are numerous Okay cafés, chains mainly in shopping malls and Chaweng, but some local pubs and restaurants serves fine coffee. The prices in brand name chains can be little up-priced relative to a 45k baht budget – still recall my Danish friend that ordered a coffee in Starbucks in a shopping mall, and when he got the coffee, and the price, he said: »I just ordered a coffee, I didn't ask to buy the shop!« – the Thai-brand chain "Black Canyon" is about same, or better, quality, but lower price (I'm happy to drink their cappuccino); however, you also pay for the location, when you drink your coffee, even when its a take away.

I read in the news today that my home country town, Copenhagen, is the most expensive place in the World to buy a cup of coffee – bullsh*t, I'll never forget my tiny mocha a Carlton Hotel in Cannes in 1979 for 52 francs, which recalculated for inflation would be four-and-a-half times as much as a large cappuccino in Copenhagen today – Samui seems like a relative cheap coffee-destination...????

You can also try Thai-way-of-coffee, if you can drink (very) sweet fresh coffee; its actually nice as ice coffee, and available in malls, and markets, and from vehicle street kitchens (motorbike with a sidecar).

If you wish to make your own coffee, then the Bon Café shop opposite shopping mall The Wharf in Bo Phut/Fisherman Village sells both machines and coffee. The major super market malls – BigC, and Makro, and Tesco-Lotus, and probably Top in Central Festival – also have a variety of different coffee brands, and beans, including the Bon Café-brand. As @PoorSucker says, its "depending of your taste".

HomePro, by Tesco-Lotus in Bo Phut/Chaweng, offers a selection of fancy coffee, and espresso machines, whilst the super markets BigC and Tesco-Lotus sells normal filter coffee machines from a few hundred baht. I've also seen copies of the Danish Bodum piston coffee container, actually a friend bought some for his restaurant, and they worked as well as the original brand, the original Bodum brand can be ordered from Lazada or Central Online.

8235_bodum_caffeteria_8-kops_1918-01.w61

We can't start a day, without "a damn fine cup of coffee"...????

Billedresultat for a damned good cup of coffee

12 hours ago, Jigglypuff said:

Ko Samui sounds like a good mix of developed and Tropical Thailand but i am a little worried about feeling “trapped” on an island due to expensive over priced flights.  

Also how often do you get spiders and other large creepy crawlies in your house? May seem a silly question but I’m not a huge fan of sharing my space with giant six or eight legged friends. Well I don’t mind if they stay hidden away. 

Not too much, however might be depending where you are staying. The more developed, the less creepy crawlies.

You won't get trapped, the outside world is just from an hour away – Bangkok – a slightly more to Hong Kong and Singapore with a couple of daily flight to each destination. Having a Work Permit, you can apply for Samui Resident Card by Bangkok Airways in their main office next to Bangkok Samui Hospital – yes, they are linked – as Samui resident you get favorable air fares and half airport tax, I paid 2,000 baht for my last ticket to Bangkok, and about same price returning, with a choice of whatever normal flight I wished. You can only book and buy at a Bangkok Airways ticket office, Resident Card reservation is not available online. This year the Samui Resident Card is free, from next year there will be an annual fee of 300 baht (again).

13 hours ago, Jigglypuff said:

Traffic can be chaotic, but some get used to it. I'm only biking in the side roads, but I have some elder Swedish friends coming 5 month each winter, biking all over; they have survived numerous years, so its possible.

Renting a car with a proper insurance could cost from about 15,000 baht a month, and up.

A PA (personal Accident) insurance can be obtained from many banks from around 1,500 baht a year, but the medical cover is limited.

Public transport is so-called song thaew – a red pick car with two (song) rows (thaew) of seats in the bed – they run from 6 am to 6 pm. You just signal one to stop, preferably agree a price, and when you wish to get off you push the bell. Prices are fixed, there is (supposed to be) a price list in the bed; price range is from 20 baht very local, and up to around 120 baht (I'm not a regular user, so perhaps someone can update prices, if different). After 6 pm the song thaews drive like taxis, but no meter, so you need to agree a price, with depending of distance can be from 200 baht, and up to the area around 800 baht, probably more if you are going to the other side of the island.

There is a new bus-route between the airport and Nathong, driving two routes, with departure on the hour.

50082584_10157072504998993_4360832560809

More about Samui transport in this thread...

????

Again lots of helpful replies which have very much helped!! Relieved my coffee addiction can be met! Not a fan of Starbucks or other chain type places or their prices, would much rather support local cafes etc if possible.

Your 45k will stretch double in Pattaya compared to Samui. 

Samui is expensive 45k wont be enough. Some poster said a 2 bedroom house for 8 to 12 k, where? Miles away from where a young gun wants to hangout and then need a car or motorbike

I dont live in Pattaya but visit often from BKK

9 hours ago, madmen said:

Your 45k will stretch double in Pattaya compared to Samui. 

Samui is expensive 45k wont be enough. Some poster said a 2 bedroom house for 8 to 12 k, where? Miles away from where a young gun wants to hangout and then need a car or motorbike

I dont live in Pattaya but visit often from BKK

I know of two room bungalows in Chaweng for 8000-10000 baht. 

You need some local knowledge although. 

Prices in Tesco, BigC and Makro is the same as in Pattaya. 

Only thing that's more expensive on Samui is that gasoline is two baht more per litre. 

Guess that's the price for having beaches that you actually can swim in. 

Plenty of accommodation between 8 & 10 k you could move into one right now in several locations.... up to 2 bedroom new houses etc.... 

I've lived in Thailand for nearly 20 years and was pleasantly surprised by how cheap accommodation on the island was....largely due to over-supply.

On 5/21/2019 at 12:11 AM, Jigglypuff said:

Incredible... ????????????????????

Archived