How do you take care of your car(battery) when you are out of Thailand for two months?

BrendaMY

Don't want to face a dead battery when I come back two months later (it's an old car and this already happened once). So normally what can you do? Is the Honda dealer supposed to have relevant service that can help in a way or another? Or do I have to find a friend who can help look after and charge the battery by starting the car once a week or so?--quite an unlikely solution to me.  Any other solutions suggested please? Thanks a lot!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can buy one of those solar powered trickle chargers which just clips onto the battery terminals. I left one on for about 18 months when working abroad and it worked perfectly, car was not left in the sun but the small solar panel was left on the roof of the garage. In a car park you could leave the solar panel in the windscreen and park on the top level of the car park, or on an outer space which gets sunlight in the daytime.

The other, much more expensive option, is to buy one of those portable jump starters, charge it up on the mains and leave it in the boot of your car.

When I am away for months at a time I remove the battery completely. It usually keeps enough juice to start upon reinstallation. As a backup, I also have one of these:

https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-3-8

Speaking of long-term parking, I also fill a few old socks with baking soda and place them inside the car to absorb moisture and prevent mold. Cheap solution that makes a huge difference.

Two months is nothing. Go away, enjoy, don't worry about your battery.

If it makes you feel better, as suggested above, disconnect the terminals just in case there is any drain within the vehicles electrical system.

I disconnect the negative connection at the battery.  I've left my car for months and reconnected it upon return. No problems. But make sure you have a good battery. Bad batteries can self-discharge through internal current paths created by dirt and sediment.

I'm gone for 3 months at a time... I just disconnect the leads to the terminals... easy as Toyota has 2 clips which lead from the terminal to the rest of the vehicle...  about 5 minutes to remove the covers and disconnect the clips...

When I get back, 30 secs to click the clips back in place and replace the covers and all is good...

9 hours ago, quandow said:

Buy a burner phone, place it next to the battery, and send loving texts once or twice a week.

lol. I might add, also send it up country to stay with the family and send it 20,000 - 30,000 baht each month to help the family and the buffaloes. ????????????

14 hours ago, Puwa said:

When I am away for months at a time I remove the battery completely. It usually keeps enough juice to start upon reinstallation. As a backup, I also have one of these:

https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-3-8

Speaking of long-term parking, I also fill a few old socks with baking soda and place them inside the car to absorb moisture and prevent mold. Cheap solution that makes a huge difference.

I'm curious as to why you remove the battery. If left installed it is not drawing any current, so no different

I wouldn't have a friend starting the car once a week or so and expect it to keep the battery charged. The current drawn to turn the engine would be greater than you'd gain from running the engine, unless you run it for a prolonged period. Just buy a battery charger as backup...that's what they are for.

anyone...what is the reason for disconnecting the

7 hours ago, uptoyoumyfriend said:

I do this all the time with my two pickup trucks. When you leave simply disconnect the ground.

The one usually marked with a - (minus) sign. Check the  water level some times. 

Must be an old battery...they've been sealed for years...I didn't know you could still buy batteries that require topping up with water

I would have thought your Thai in-laws and other family would be only too happy to use the car to run errands etc while you are away. Just make sure to leave the fuel tank full because no one will use it when the fuel is all gone.

1 minute ago, sfokevin said:

You don't have a beamer...

No, or a Merc. I learned the hard way they were cars created for the  purpose of inflating the ego of their owners, while simultaneously draining the wallet far faster than any Japanese vehicle.

A battery starts to deteriorate from day one! I would leave the battery on the car with - as recommended a trickle charger attached, a battery sulphates when it is not fully charged, the heat here helps accelerate the process. It may well start after two months but its life will have been considerably shortened.

42 minutes ago, CGW said:

A battery starts to deteriorate from day one! I would leave the battery on the car with - as recommended a trickle charger attached, a battery sulphates when it is not fully charged, the heat here helps accelerate the process. It may well start after two months but its life will have been considerably shortened.

My experience is that cold is more detrimental to batteries than hot.

Regarding the original question, you just need to disconnect the battery cable, wrap the terminal in some insulating tape as a precaution that it doesn't come into contact with any metal. Otherwise your battery will lose some power due to the alarm/monitoring system. I've done this for periods of up to 5 months and car always starts on return.

Archived