Pheu Thai party gives up demand for PM post and all political pre-conditions

webfact

Pheu Thai party gives up demand for PM post and all political pre-conditions

pheuthai.png

In a last-ditch bid to win the support of the Democrat and Bhumjaithai parties to stop current Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha continuing in office, the Pheu Thai party has withdrawn its demand for the prime minister’s post and dropped all other political pre-conditions.

The party’s webpage today carries a statement from Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan, the party’s election strategy chairman, saying she will not accept any cabinet portfolio in the new government, but pleading with all the pro-democracy parties to join forces to defeat a “dictatorship in disguise”.

“The opportunity for the country is more important than the opportunity for the Pheu Thai party. The opportunity for the people is a mission which is more important than the pursuit for power. Pheu Thai is ready to make sacrifices so there will be no conditions for political negotiations,” Sudarat was quoted to have said in the party’s statement.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pheu-thai-party-gives-up-demand-for-pm-post-and-all-political-pre-conditions/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-05-21

"But lust for position and short term self interest, among those to whom who she had reached out to, defeated this last, desperate, initiative....."

Thailand After The Fall, (Published 2030)

There is a good reason why dems and bumj have not announced their alliance. 

They would be insane to pass up an offer like this. 

My only reservation is if they do succeed and keep Prayut and co out, in a very not distant future there could be yet another coup.

3 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

Good to see common sense and lack of self interest coming to the fore.Put DEMOCRACY and the country first and get rid of the military. The militaries role is to serve the country not run it.

Not a lack of self interest.. this has now got to a last ditch plea to them not to join with the Junta... the only way to do that is put the top spot up for grabs !

4 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

Good to see common sense and lack of self interest coming to the fore.Put DEMOCRACY and the country first and get rid of the military. The militaries role is to serve the country not run it.

You actually believe that? A desperate plea from people who see they ain't gonna get control of the trough more like.

Nothing has really changed. 

12 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Not a lack of self interest.. this has now got to a last ditch plea to them not to join with the Junta... the only way to do that is put the top spot up for grabs !

Indeed. And all the minister positions. Short term of course. Once in government the games can begin to take over for themselves. 

No one trusts them to honor their bargains. The other parties might not like the Junta but seem to be realizing they can get more off them.

2 hours ago, BestB said:

There is a good reason why dems and bumj have not announced their alliance. 

They would be insane to pass up an offer like this. 

My only reservation is if they do succeed and keep Prayut and co out, in a very not distant future there could be yet another coup.

I suspect the dems and bumj fully appreciate your last sentence. They also know PTP are completely untrustworthy. How long would it be before PTP start the old games, and woosh an excuse for a coup is presented to the hawks just waiting.

tried to solicit opinions from random Thai shoppers.  and they all replied, "Thai people not talk about elections"  how strange i thought. 

Democracy requires fertile ground to grow.  it is a living thing that requires nourishment in the form of healthy debate in an open society.  it can not be taken for granted and must always questioned.

it can not be left to stagnate.  i do not foresee this happening anytime soon in Thailand

'

Far from a fan of that dummy Prayut, but anything will be better than letting any surrogate of Satan Thaksin back into power. An utterly repulsive figure, whose maxim in life has always been everything for myself and nothing for others. 

3 hours ago, malibukid said:

tried to solicit opinions from random Thai shoppers.  and they all replied, "Thai people not talk about elections"  how strange i thought. 

Democracy requires fertile ground to grow.  it is a living thing that requires nourishment in the form of healthy debate in an open society.  it can not be taken for granted and must always questioned.

it can not be left to stagnate.  i do not foresee this happening anytime soon in Thailand

'

"tried to solicit opinions from random Thai shoppers.  and they all replied, "Thai people not talk about elections"  how strange i thought. "

Did you ever think that maybe they are frightened to talk about this subject?

4 hours ago, malibukid said:

'

tried to solicit opinions from random Thai shoppers. Did you stand on the high street with a microphone, camera and clipboard? The shoppers may have been surprised to be interviewed by a foreigner asking them about politics and decided to keep their views to themselves.

4 hours ago, malibukid said:

'

Completely agree. 

There are several key reasons why they won't talk about it - especially to foreigners. 

1. May not be discussed where certain issues are involved

2. Thais, as a cultural norm, cannot tolerate and have no mechanisms (other than violence) for handling conflict 

3. Generally, there is a gross lack of intellectual curiosity in Thailand 

4. Thais don't want to be seen to lose face in front of foreigners 

9 hours ago, malibukid said:

'

Thai people not talk, that means I wont talk.

They cant even express opinion whilst not wanting to talk

. . . Thai people say, think, dont like is the answer to every awkward question.

Speak for yourself coward. Dont hide behind a nation.

Archived