Pattaya's Black Sea: Posters call for heads to roll but it may take months to repair

webfact

Pattaya's Black Sea: Posters call for heads to roll but it may take months to repair

7pm2.jpg

Sophon Cable TV reported on the fallout from the spillage that left the sea at Jomtien Beach a putrid black cesspit. 

As posters on their site called for heads to roll in the local council the blame game began.

The culprit has been identified as an area under repair at Na Jomtien Soi 8.

7pm3.jpg

Some 124 million baht has been set aside to put it right and stop further spillage into the sea. 

Yesterday a crisis meeting was held chaired by Sattahip district chief Anucha Inthasorn who ordered a clean up and a speedy resolution to the problem of waste water treatment in the area. 

This involves seeking help from Pattaya City Hall in the area of waste water management. 

But it has been admitted that it could be three months before any progress is made.

In the meantime the area - a popular tourist beach - is threatened by further trouble.

Source: Sophon Cable

1 minute ago, webfact said:

Some 124 million baht has been set aside to put it right and stop further spillage into the sea.  

I wonder how much of that will actually find its way to fixing the problem, and how much will simply boost the bank accounts of those involved?

12 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I wonder how much of that will actually find its way to fixing the problem, and how much will simply boost the bank accounts of those involved?

Indeed, how many years has Pattaya not had any high quality water treatment facilities set up to tackle what will now be enormous volumes of wastewater from both hospitality and industry.

Without astronomical investment and world class engineering being spent, this kind of incident will be magnified and far more frequent in the future.

It's absolutely dreadful that those in local government care only for fattening their wallets in times of crisis.

34 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Must get those priorities right.

Today's Bangkok Post editorial covers this topic; truly awful publicity.

A lot of wealthy Bangkokians have invested in that neck of the woods and they will not stand for those investments being hijacked by poor or non-existent infrastructure.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

This involves seeking help from Pattaya City Hall in the area of waste water management. 

Blind leading the blind or something like that.  Get some proper people in and Maybe Pattaya can learn from them as well.  Never going to happen though.

Cheers

This particular stormwater drain construction was a Mickey Mouse affair from start to finish. Expecting water to run uphill just one aspect of the planning. Just about every place it passed connected their septic runoff to the stormwater. Nobody cared. Of course then it stinks, particularly with no rain, so they cover the drains. Rains come and places flood as the drains are covered. Pure genius. My bet is there was a putrid collection of black water plugged in this system that burst through once the storms here recently put enough pressure on the ‘plug’. It isn’t as if it hasn’t happened before. 

3 Months more like 3 years and 3 billion just to make a dent in it! There was no forward planning to account for the development over the past 13 years. Some serious investment with top of their class engineers and big money is the only way this will get sorted.  

5 hours ago, z42 said:

Without astronomical investment and world class engineering being spent, this kind of incident will be magnified and far more frequent in the future.

Agree with that statement, so many Thai cities have been loaded to the max, there at bursting point! no investment at all in infrastructure, no thought for the environment, short term thinking employed, Chiang Mai another good example, the city stinks

Money #1

18 minutes ago, IssanMichael said:

Ancient Roman water systems.

images.jpeg

Yes..but the ancient Romans never got here..and if they did they wouldn't have got a work permit and they would have had to put 400/800,000 denarii in the bank..

They weren't that dumb.

I went into the sea in Pattaya and Jomtien for the last time maybe 10 years ago.

I always book a hotel with a pool now as a safer way to cool off.

The recent pictures of a deserted beach seem to suggest many others are doing the same.

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

When it comes to reviewing / investigating budgets or accounting practices in this country one can find themselves being a target for a motorbike taxi hitman. So I guess this is why Thais keep their mouths shut. 

Hats off to Sophon news for exposing litter & pollution around the city. 

11 hours ago, GreenerGrass said:

3 Months more like 3 years and 3 billion just to make a dent in it! There was no forward planning to account for the development over the past 13 years. Some serious investment with top of their class engineers and big money is the only way this will get sorted.  

So there will be a black spot for years?

How long do you all think this city will last with all the development

Archived